TomTom products - Page 6 — TomTom Community

TomTom products

Comments

• Brian5757Brian5757 Posts: 29 [Outstanding Explorer]
    It is common for a navigation device not to work inside (they were designed to work outside). Sometimes while outside I have to take my mobile phone out of its case before it will get a signal.
    Maybe you should go to a store that sells the same TomTom as yours and find out if another model TomTom has the same problems.
  • robbarronrobbarron Posts: 62 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Well, all satnavs work well enough surrounded by metal.... It's what most cars are made of! You're right though in that if the car had no windows it wouldn't work properly but then not many buildings are made entirely of metal either.... Good old nissan huts being the obvious exception LOL. I'll settle for it working when I'm in the car as it only takes seconds to program it for where I want to go.

Although people with problems tend to immediately start thinking a different brand will solve all their problems, it really doesn't. I've owned or used Garmins, Navmans, and others and all work reasonably well but never perfectly. I have found TomTom to be as good as any and better than most. Sometimes we forget just how advanced the technology is in that tiny box and have unrealistic expectations of perfection. If I dismissed every brand of gadget that had a fault at some point or other I'd have run out of brand years ago LOL. At least when TomToms have a problem, the company is pretty good at dealing with them, much more so than many companies I've experienced!
    Rob Barron

I use: Go Live 6000 having recently replaced my much-loved 1000.

How to do a Full Reset: http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6965

• fluglotsefluglotse Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I am very much agreement here. I had ordered the newest and best recommended Tomtom, and I just sent my second replacement back. (Via 135M with traffic)

The unit continually restarted and rebooted. After googling this situation, I found hundreds of Tomtom people have the same problem. Try googling "my tomtom keeps shutting off" or "my tomtom keeps rebooting" and see what you get.  When I spoke to the customer reps in England and in Germany, both reps said they had never heard of these units rebooting on their own. Can the company really be so nieve or are they just lying?

Customer service via telephone costs a lot of money here in Germany - it is cheaper to send the unit back. I called the USA customer service, and they told me to get lost because I bought the unit in Germany. Nice help, fellas! I will be sure to publicize my experience. By the way, Garmin answers the telephone.

Idiot that I am, I assumed just my unit was bad and received a replacement. I wanted to believe what my consumer magazine said, how great this unit was. 

When I received my new unit, I couldn't register it, because the support app allows only one device per e-mail address. My e-mail hadn't changed. What a load of garbage! What happens when someone has two Tomtoms, in two vehicles? One for the motorcycle and one for a car? I need to get a second e-mai address?

The "working" Tomtom was insane when it came to routing. I would be at the corner in front of my home and the unit would have me drive a mile out of the way and go around the block to get there. How can I trust the unit when I don't know where I am? It isn't a map problem, I have the newest maps. All settings were checked. Instead of telling me to turn left into my driveway, it had me also driving a half mile away, making a u-turn and then a right into my driveway on a quiet street.

Number 2: A similar re-booting problem, but it eventually stopped after multiple resets. It may start again, but, I gave it a week and it must now be trusted and kept, or returned for a refund. 

I cannot believe this unit was well reviewed. It is total crap. I buy these devices to make my life simpler, not to complicate it. I recommend no one deal with Tomtom ever.
    Rob Barron

How to do a Full Reset: http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6965

The fact that there are over 10 million TT users out there who are doing fine with them doesn't perhaps suggest there might be another problem rather than just you getting unlucky with several different units?
    Rob Barron

• Steve_42Steve_42 Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    It seems like there are lots of different opinions.   !    I have no problems with the hardware of my Start 20.   My issues all revolve around the lack of routing options on this machine.

I'll explain my situation.   I am self employed and have to visit lots of different locations on a daily basis.  I cover almost all of lancashire and parts of cheshire and derbyshire. I just want to get from A to B with as little fuss as possible.

As other users have commented one of the major issues is the assumption the software makes that just beause a narrow back lane has a 60mph speed limit that it is either safe or even physically possible to go that fast.  In many cases my TT decides to head off reasonably wide and safe roads as it has calculated that cutting across country on these "60mph" back lanes is quicker.  Reality is much different - yes it is two or three miles longer by sticking to more major roads but I will get there quicker beacuse I can travel at reasonable speeds.! The back lanes the TT thinks are quicker are usually narrow, barely wide enough for two cars and have high hedges on either side so you cannot safely exceed 20mph !   Net result I am stressed and get there slower.   The only reason i even bough this TT is that after my rather loevely navman F45 was stolen these TT start 20's were on a very special offer at an irresistible price.

I needed a replacement fast and the price was too good to refuse . .   ! I wish I had had more time to look into the features and routing options before buying . .   !    I ddin'y buy anothet Navman as the F45 was by then discontinued and teh new ones have had major changes to the UI and routing options so they didn't seem an attractive option !

To all the TT lovers who are responding can you tell me if any of the TT machines currently available in the UK have better routing options than the start 20  . . . .?
  • 1of7501of750 Posts: 1,241 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    GO or VIA series
    Yes, pretty much any of the Go range or the Via range will give you a better range of options. The Start 20 really is a relatively entry level satnav, good for its price but not really the type I would advise for someone using his satnav on a daily basis for multiple stop journeys. For your use I really would recommend paying a bit more and getting one more suited to your needs. I use the Go Live 1000 and get all the options I need, it's an excellent machine.
    Rob Barron

• fluglotsefluglotse Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I suppose if the tech "wizards at Tomtom cannot figure it out, well, it isn't just me.
  • JdammJdamm Posts: 10 [Outstanding Explorer]
    It may well be that the exact problem is solved but then there just will be a new one. Battery life. I have the pleasure of owning a TT GO 1000 that shortly after the acquisition lost the ability to hold power without being connected to a power source. Eventually died completely and I got a new - fortunately within warranty, but after 3 months it has started to show the same diseases which can not be in accordance with the wishes that TT has with regard to customer satisfaction. Yes - I know that there are solutions to this problem but it can not be right that you personally need to make changes to a product that still have warranty and risk damaging your product and thus lose the warranty.
  • Nigwel1958Nigwel1958 Posts: 40 [Outstanding Explorer]
    I know what you mean and it`s the worst TT I`ve ever owned.. Not being able to edit like you could in TomTom Home is not helping.

I`ve not had any power or battery problems yet but I`m sure I`ve got that to come..

TT just seem to have gone down hill with how we update out TT`s and it`s just not working..

My 740 is about 3 years old and that uses TT home and I can delete anything on there, including the map and TT updates it, unlike this 1005.. We just have to hope it does work after!!
  • chioano4chioano4 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Totally, totally dissappointed. Unit failed in the middle of europe, a 940 GO live. Get back to U.K contact customer support? a misnomer surely. Unit would not even shut off. Sent unit off for repair. I was sent a replacement unit, could I get it to recognise my account? No chance. After many many e-mails to someone who obviously mistook me for Bill Gates, I was expected to understand reams of computer speak. Eventually I spoke to someone on the phone, who to his credit, did sort it. However the very expensive live services etc were still running when I was without the ability to use them. Would it not have been possible for someone to have set the unit up before returning it? Obviously too simple, as most of the staff seem to be. Off I go with my new 940 GO Live, and guess what?  four weeks after the expiry of the warranty (only 6 month for a repair/repalacement, gives some insight into the quality, and their own faith of their product). The identical problem. Live services telling me I have a 6 hour delay on the road I am on, only to keep changing from 6 to three hours and finally 10 minutes, all the while offering me alternative routes, then unit going from screensaver to re-set for mile after mile after mile. And the unit will not shut off. This was again in the Lyon region of France. Get back yo U.K contact customer services and again was told to download reams of computer speak, that to be honest may just as well have been in Chinese. I have no idea or inclination to follow these instructions, I may not live that long. But of course they will be very happy to send me a discount voucher for a new unit. Garmin, I am on my way..
    Good luck with that; hope you have better luck with your Garmin than I have had with the two I have owned.
  • chioano4chioano4 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    And my TomToms have been better?
    Mine certainly were!
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,958 Superusers
    Hi chioano4

Give this try a Soft/drum-roll start :-  Link below.

[url=http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6965/"; target="_blank]http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6965/[/url]

You wont lose anything

No Live services Try :-

[url=http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10316" target=_blank>
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'

The sound on this unit has lasted less than 2 weeks the technical support in New Zealand is non existent- sales people who know nil about software and evaluating product issues only which buttons to push 

There is no way one can email Tom Tom direct all the support is automated rubbish geared around sales and advertising This is not the only company with similar issues
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,958 Superusers
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'

3 speakers now but last one is OK but previous not good.

Just fitted a new 1450 ma battery into this xxl routes eu but had quite a job removing everything plastic off the new battery

& then it just went in but the correct battery would be the thinner one. However this new battery works but there is slight

pressure on the rear of the screen.  To sum up Tom Tom aught to get their act together re the batteries because I would not rate them as quality also these days why arn't they high capacity ones because the device gets to the stage whereby it

switches itself off just when you don't want it to.....     Re the advisers -no it has not been subjected to excessive temps it

definately is the inferior battery quality that seems very lacking. For the money they don't seem bad but they are definately not infallible.
  • MARKABMARKAB Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
    I've posted this elsewhere, but reading the attached it probably belongs better here, anyway just to add, over the 3 months I found these other annoying quirks with the 825 live. The windows are very slow to move between applications, the traffic is hit and miss, one blocked M6 avoided which was great, but paid back with interest via a three hour M1 queue the following week! Tells me I'm not actually outside my house but parked in the next road, and the software?? in addition to my earlier post I foolishly tried one more time (6hr) to load updates, and now the home laptop which is very current is failing to re-boot, which along with a non functioning 825 is slightly concerning. Even this little bit of software isn't logical, why have a menu bar for editing etc and put the spell check link over the top!!

As per the other lost souls on here who have wasted far more time, days in fact than any efficiency in TomTom satellite navigation have ever gained us, I now concede.

The power lead on the 825 live was the first to play up, why you should need to remove a lead from a fragile socket every time you want to remove the unit it is beyond me and a backward step as all my previous mounts have remained powered and their unit has merely re-docked so to speak, major flaw. Anyway the result being the connection fails and the unit powers down when you least expect it which could result in the user trying to rescue the connection whilst on the move, or pulling over, whatever but distracting, possibly dangerous and definitely not ideal..

Then the updates, I've read nearly all the related threads on here, but you know what I'm not a PC expert and don't want to be, if I had any idea I would spend the amount of time I have trying to update and restore the now non working 825 and the complexities of fire walls, systems, downloads and PC's in general I would never of entered into such a deal where I'm required to study IT to maintain a hand held device, I have also doubted the power of my PC and contemplated updating it accommodate the TomTom software, complete lunacy.

So, with a unit at three months old, I'll be off back to the retailer as soon as possible they can deal with it on "not fit for purpose" grounds and I'll beg, plead and threat until I get a Garmin back, used them (Garmin) for running, cycling, and previously in the car for years, not sure why I ever changed, lesson learned I'd say!

If I have no joy there I will take great pleasure in smashing it into tiny pieces, even at the cost it was, ultimately it will save me money as I'll cancel  the anger management therapy class I'm about to enroll with..
  • GambalungaGambalunga Posts: 35 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    MARKAB wrote:So, with a unit at three months old, I'll be off back to the retailer as soon as possible they can deal with it on "not fit for purpose" grounds and I'll beg, plead and threat until I get a Garmin back, used them (Garmin) for running, cycling, and previously in the car for years, not sure why I ever changed, lesson learned I'd say!If I have no joy there I will take great pleasure in smashing it into tiny pieces, even at the cost it was, ultimately it will save me money as I'll cancel  the anger management therapy class I'm about to enroll with..
    Go for it Mark but insist on your fit for purpose claim. If they don't refund your money go to a consumer association and ask their help. If more people return the product instead of just giving up perhaps TomTom will start to get the message.
  • TT-s_u_xTT-s_u_x Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Can only agree with the original poster...Haven't experienced anything this user-unfriendly and at a bug-level that even makes alpha-versions for freeware seem stable and reliable in comparsion...

Unfortunately I will never ever buy a product from a company with this crappy products. 

Cred to the customer service though, they tried to help and were fast and serviceminded. 
  • ZsoltZsolt Posts: 36,020 Superusers
    What is your exact issue?
  • SL-ONESL-ONE Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I F******g agree !!!!!!!!!!!!!!