TomTom products - Page 2 — TomTom Community

TomTom products

Comments

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,960 Superusers
    Hi

You can download your model Tomtom User guide from the MyTomTom opening page, mid right "Download Manual", or top of page under "Support" then "User guide".

Or here :-

[url=http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/manual"; target="_blank]http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/manual[/url]

ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'

but would it have killed them to put the info on what they jokingly call the instruction sheet.? "to download a full manual go to my tomtom, support, user guide"

I'm fortunate in that I am reasonably computer literate, also had a tomtom previously.

Alternatively, I can buy blank CDs for 10p each - would it kill them to put one in each box with everything you need on there?

The disk could include links to these forums, customer service numbers etc etc.

On the box "please insert cd into computer first for setup files" and that could run you through every step of the get started process. (I even had that option for  £10 camera off ebay!)
  • ZsoltZsolt Posts: 36,020 Superusers
    It is not just about the prices or saving money. They could put those on us anyway, however in this age, you get everything online, and usually Google is our friend. But these companies must have an environmental policy, and they have to strive to cut waste, CO2 emission and so on. The more paper they save or the more plastic and chemical they save the better they comply with those regulations and policies. Remember having a proper guide for my old Nokia 3310. Full colour, many pages, so on. And was around £50. Got nothing for the S3, when it was almost £500.
  • bainfbainf Posts: 11 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Just updating

Battery is lame, I use it once every 3 weeks or so and every time I turn it on it says low battery (is it a nicad?)

After 4 hours of driving, the next day about 20 minutes later it needs to be plugged in

also those speed limits on our National Highway number 1, still wrong! and I updated before leaving
    These units don't switch off completely, just go on stand by. That's why the battery goes flat. Try to hold the ON button for 10 seconds, when you switch it off. That might shut it down
    Hi bainf

The on/off switch is not a true switch its a software switch when you turn off it goes in to a stand by mode for about an hour retaining your route, way points and data, after that it forgets the present data an goes in to sleep mode.The last planned route goes to the top of list

For more info on the 10 sec shutdown...See this post :-

[url=https://discussions.tomtom.com/t5/GO-800-1000-2000-Via-Start-20/Does-not-retain-Battery-charge-for-long/td-p/235047"; target="_blank]http://discussions.tomtom.com/t5/GO-800-1000-2000-Via-Start-20/Does-not-retain-Battery-charge-for-long/td-p/235047[/url]

ATB YFM

It is not just about the prices or saving money. They could put those on us anyway, however in this age, you get everything online, and usually Google is our friend. But these companies must have an environmental policy, and they have to strive to cut waste, CO2 emission and so on. The more paper they save or the more plastic and chemical they save the better they comply with those regulations and policies. Remember having a proper guide for my old Nokia 3310. Full colour, many pages, so on. And was around £50. Got nothing for the S3, when it was almost £500.
    OK, I can appreciate the environmental aspect - however. the 'instruction' sheet is big enough to paper my lounge wall, full colour, glossy - cut waste/CO2?

So, all they need do is print on the box "go to .../getstarted" and that should direct you to set up an account/login - my tomtom. On this page should be all the links you need > my manual (you've just registered the unit so the software should know) >forums > help > updates (which should scan your device to see what needs to be done - including registering for 'go live') > contact us
    Fair enough. I wouldn't even put that page in. But yet it is less than the whole manual.
    Oh OK  thanks

So now my question is

I have set it so that when the power is removed (car turned off) it auto shuts down, so it shuts down or stands by?

Either way this further reinforces the subject?

Also how long do others get out of their battery after charging, and after a week or two then what?

Has anyone actually successfully used this hiking or walking around a city?

To me anything less than four hours is not good enough, same in 3 weeks time

I would prefer to pay less for no battery at all as I use it like that anyway

I certainly cant use it on my bike without remembering to charge it the night before
    Just goes to stand by in that case also. Don't think any TT holds up to 4 hours under constant use. For hiking or walking around a smart phone with offline maps would be better. Or you can get these external batteries with different plugs. That could prolong (or better extend) the TT.
  • sludgegutssludgeguts Posts: 23 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Interesting point re batteries. I notice the routeplanner has option for car or walking - average walking pace is 3mph? So you're not going to get very far.
    And in the mountains or rain forest it won't be even close to that :) But again, you wouldn't need HD Traffic there either :)

Edit: Still hate touch screen phones :)
    Hi

Just wondering how long a smart phone would last running a navigation app, Bluetooth and GPS ???

The charge state on my iPad drops like a stone with a navigation app and GPS running over blutooth, it definitely needs a charger to be a credible alternative to my Via 120 Live.

ATB YFM

These new phones barely last a day, with Wi-Fi on (but not all the time), no BT, no nav app, no music playing...however a "bit" of typing the TT forum :) Don't think it would last long either, but at least you need one device instead of two.
  • robbarronrobbarron Posts: 62 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    I have an iPhone 5 and you're right about the battery only lasting a day BUT if you buy a Powercase you can get double the length of time pretty much. Mine cost about £20 and was worth every penny :0)
    Rob Barron

I use: Go Live 6000 having recently replaced my much-loved 1000.

How to do a Full Reset: http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6965

• QuassoQuasso Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Last month I bought a 1005 with live and HD service plus an additional 3 years map update. The gps seemed to work fine for the few times I used it (besides the battery life). 

I just now for the first time connected my 1005 to my computer to update the maps and what happenend is just blows my mind... First, it said that the activation code was not valid anymore since its been over 90 days, I logged a ticket for this and am hopeful for getting this fixed.

In the meantime the GPS was somehow downloading a newer version of the map. After it downoaded it said it was updatting the GPS. It however kept saying that the connection with the server was interupted. I checked if there maybe was something with my internet connection, which it was not. I tried another three times and kept receiving the same message. But even worse, it deleted the map which was innitially installed on the GPS making it a useless device. 

This little joke of Tomtom sofware and hardware will cost me dearly as I have a whole set of client meetings lined up. Unbelievable that a company dares to put a product like this on the market....

Some tips

Cut and paste from user Lars post

Your device won't be recognized as a removable drive but as a network.

As there are some issues existing linked to the MyTomTom application. I've added some steps below solving some troubles that may appear.

There are a few things that should be done regardless whether you encounter any troubles (in bold) and some that are for troubleshooting.

1        Set either Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome as default browser. I'm not sure about Safari but IE seems to be causing troubles sometimes so it might be that Safari works well.

2      Download and install the MyTomTom application: [url=http://www.tomtom.com/getstarted"; target="_self]http://www.tomtom.com/getstarted[/url]

3      Make sure the MyTomTom application is allowed to fully access the internet and isn't blocked by any antivirus or firewall software.

4      Change the port settings of your MyTomTom application from port 4000 to i.e. 4001 or 5000.

5      I also recommend changing your preferences that future data gets downloaded first without the need of having the device connected to your computer. This is done by checking that large data gets cached as well.

6      Connect your device to your computer, go to your network connections and set the network symbolizing your device as trusted network. A trusted network is called home network in some operating systems.

7      Open the MyTomTom application, log in using your account and link your device to that account. Keep in mind that you'll need a separate account with a different e-mail-address for each device.

8      Always install application updates first without any other updates. After having installed all application updates install the other updates.

9      Install every update as a single update and restart your device after each successful installation before starting the next update.

10    Always plug your device in a USB port directly on your computer (preferably on the back) and not in any USB hub.

11     Make sure neither the device nor the computer enters any kind of power saving modus during the installation process.

12     Clear the cache of both the MyTomTom application and the browser and try again.

13    Try another USB cable to check if it is a cable issue.

14    Make sure you've got enough memory capacity left on the hard drive where the map is being cached (at least 8GB recommended).

15     Make sure you've got the latest version of the Adobe flash player installed.

16    Make sure that flash player and browser are of the same software type (32bit or 64bit)

17    Use a wired internet connection instead of a wireless connection if possible.

18    Make sure you've got the latest version of the MyTomTom application installed on your computer.

Lars

Also Windows XP Need dot net 3.5 to run Mytomtom :-

[url=http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=21"; target="_blank]http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=21[/url]

ATB YFM

Just wondering how long a smart phone would last running a navigation app, Bluetooth and GPS ???

The charge state on my iPad drops like a stone with a navigation app and GPS running over blutooth, it definitely needs a charger to be a credible alternative to my Via 120 Live.

ATB YFM
    I often use 'MapMyWalk' app on my galaxy S2 - great because I can plan a raft of routes on my PC then send them to my phone to follow. I bought 2x 3500mAh batts plus wall charger off ebay for around a tenner. I find that I can walk around 8 hours, listen to my music & follow my route with battery life to spare - I even take a few snaps along the route. Sometimes when I stop for lunch I might check in on facebook & maybe upload a pic.

Never yet had cause to use the second battery because the first run out - although I do swap them round anyway to keep the charge cycle going.

My Satmap uses 3 x AA batts & I can generally get a couple of day's walking out of a set.
    So we would all be in agreement that the battery is just to make it turn on, input destination, then when you stop at the lights you find cord and plug it in
    Hi

"No" I plug my tomtom in at the start and unplug it at the end of the journey.

If I'm not using it for a while I hold the off button for 10sec for a true shutdown

Also if you have a live version tomtom, the battery is essential for the live traffic SIM power

ATB YFM

My old XL had a small, green LED - you pressed the button, the LED came on then the thing started, you pressed the button again, the screen did the goodbye bit, the LED went out - unit off.

This 825 has no LED. You press the button, the screen displays a warning triangle - reminder to not leave it in the car - and then goes black.

. Seems like I was wrongly assuming that as the screen was off & nothing else was showing, the unit was off
  • REVRONAT4REVRONAT4 Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I have had a TomTom for many years now and find it an extremely usaful device, in fact it is so useful in the USA that I have just bought a new model. Maybe you need some toilet paper!!
  • sludgegutssludgeguts Posts: 23 [Outstanding Explorer]
    What an absolutely idiotic reply.

I, too, have had a tomtom for many years - it recently died on me. It was a great product, always accurate, never any problems - so the wife bought me this unit for xmas - it is riddled with irritations.

We don't need sarcasm, what we need is for someone at tomtom to read these comments and provide some decent updates.
    I am not saying that is what its battery function actually is,

What I meant was the battery serves little purpose in running the device for any length of time and is only useful for running until you plug it in and don't dare leave home without the cord.

I am also not suggesting this is TT only issue as any other nav device I had used was for short journeys in other cities I was not familiar with