Map of Serbia

mnedelmnedel Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
edited January 31 in Archived Discussions
I recently purchased Renault Megane Coupe and I paid around 400 euro to have an integrated gps system. Little did I know that the map of Serbia only has the international highway. It is useless. I feel I was cheated. i was told that TomTom has a detailed map of whole Europe.
Are there any plans about making a detailed map of Serbia?
Renault is a popular car brand here. More and more people are using gps devices. I'm sure that TomTom would have a sizeable market here.

Comments

• ShortyShorty Posts: 1,098 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi - and welcome mnedel, to Discussions and the Map Quality Forum.  I'll have to ask what the Content Team's schedule for Serbia is and let you know.  It's a pity you did not (could not?) ask to review the system before installation - even a handheld up to date maps in it, since they would all have the same versions, but let me go dig and see what I come up with.
    Hi Shorty,

any news on this front? Any plan to include the complete map of Serbia and rest Balkan countries? I think it would be a good policy of TomTom management to give a high priority to include those maps missing from Europe, for comfort and security reasons. Let me share with you our recent experiences (July 2012):

I was aware that my TomTom included only the connecting street of Serbia and thought that this would be enough to travel from Germany to Greece. But I the experience below changed my mind. 

1. We were traveling from Germany to Greece with my family including  a 5-years old kid through Croatia-Serbia . At the border of Croatia-Serbia there was a queue of some kilometers. The road would be considered as closed by TomTom and there would be a suggestion for an alternative root. But the map of Serbia was missing, so no alternative root was possible with TomTom. We took the risk to follow other European cars and enter Serbia by national roads. We managed to bypass the closed road, cross the border in another location  and find again the International road in Serbia, but believe me this was not at all pleasant to be in a country with your navigator having just one International road with no connecting streets to it.. Looking at TomTom screen we had the feeling we were driving in a desert...

2. Close to Belgrade there were public works that by-passed the International road by many kilometers. So we were once more helpless in a long queue with no option to change root, as our TomTom had only one central road.

3. We met also other German and Swiss people in road parkings that had the same issue.

Looking forward to your response and to TomTom's management Intervention. Please include the mnissing roads, even if we should have to purchase the new maps. 

Have a nice day

Georgios
  • DreamepDreamep Posts: 91 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    I am also interested in info about maps of BiH and Serbia. I am puzzled that TomTom/Teleatlas has no map of Serbia.
  • HarrymHarrym Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    New vehicle models being sold in Serbia have mapping system and coverage. I asked if they could upgrade mine, but I was told mine was a different version.

I wrote to Renault last year, but no reply. If my garmin mobile is fitted with the most up to date digital mapping why can't Tom Tom sort out the technical issue.

1st I was told Tom Tom did not want to pay for the mapping; then i was told Serbia would not provided digital mapping. Either way, both excuses were rubbish. garmin provides, why not TomTom.

FYR Macedonia is also needed. if trouble kicks of there again, it would be nice to have knowledge of alternate routes.
    I agree on the rubbish bit.  I've been away while hence the delay.  I know the head of Ops in that area (spent some time in our Africa office) so I'm sure I'll hear what the latest is.  I do know that the Content Team covering that region has been beefed up so hopefully progress will (or has been) be quicker.
    Shorty, hi,

Any timeline as to when TomTom wit have serbia, montenegro, FYR Macedonia maps available for update. 

Cheers
  • GeorgiosGeorgios Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    Am also looking forward for news on the progress of TomTom Maps of Serbia Montenegro & FYROM.

Happy New Year

Georgios 
    Harrym wrote:
    Shorty, hi,

Any timeline as to when TomTom wit have serbia, montenegro, FYR Macedonia maps available for update. 

Cheers
  • StefancheStefanche Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    dear friends

also i have my renault grand scenic III at least 16 months, from avgust 2011, the dealer say me : dont worry we are expecting maps for serbia and bosnia very quick!! this was before one year.......

time to time i am like a kid locking for the miracle to find the maps for this countries..... in my car a have navigation but some time i must use my phone navigation........ i this correct????/.

i have tomtom carmitat live, please somebody have some information? or better i will buy igo navigation....

best regards

stefan
    I agree but you'll have to allow me some grace as to progress again.  I need to catch up on matters Baltic in particular since I've once again been 'off air' since late November - moving house this time and I wish I could have rather had the period as a holiday :$ 
    Shorty, we never got any information from you regarding the status about ex-Yu maps (Serbia, etc). One would think you dont really have contacts with the teams doing the mapping. In normal situation it would take 5 minutes to call map teams and equally that much to send e-mail to them. I am not trying to offend you, but I can't believe it's so difficultt to get any information from the company you work for (or TeleAtlas if its kept as separate company).
    Understood and criticism is warranted.  Comms don't succeed that quickly all the time but I have already sent my mail in.  Having ISP-related issues right now but the Outbox should be cleared soon I hope.
    Thank you. I hope that they will answer with some concrete information - just to know what to expect and when (if at all).

I just checked and saw that Navteq already do have maps of Bosnia, Montenegro and Macedonia, but strangely still no Serbia.
    Yup.  Can't, nor will I, discuss competitors mapping but if the major network shows in our map, that tells me to expect that the rest will be filled in; it's the expected completion to a reasonable degree of detail that I want to get my hands on.  While I may not be able to give you the specifics for commercial reasons, I trust that I can give you "a working on it - perhaps complete during 2013" or something similar.  Most if not all data producing companies will start with the major road network then the inter-connecting data and perhaps the capital city in some detail and so the product grows. 
    OK, so we can expect it some time next year - thats good enough. Its good to know that it's in the works. Thanks.
    I'm not sure of anything right now but I have hopes too.
    Hello TomTom team,

we just bought a new Renault Grand Scenic III. The navigation looks great, but while traveling to Serbia or to Europe we need to have map of Serbia. It's really pity to pay 485 EUR for built-in car navigation which is useless in Serbia.

My question is when we can expect detailed map of Serbia?
  • OclairOclair Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Bulevar Vojvode Mišia 17, 6. sprat How do I get there? I paid now get me there
  • MegalosMegalos Posts: 5,780 Superusers
    Hi Oclair, here's a general tip: before buying a new map, it's  good to check the coverage of the area you're interested in. You can do this using the online TomTom map: [url=http://routes.tomtom.com"; target="_blank]http://routes.tomtom.com[/url]. When roads are visible in that online map, you can assume they're also implemented into the newest TomTom maps for your device. 
  • ZsoltZsolt Posts: 35,976 Superusers
    They never said they have Serbia map, so you definitely didn't pay for a Serbia map...

You can navigate though all the way to Beograd (on major roads) and you will find your way there.
  • Renault_UserRenault_User Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Yes, Zsolt, you are right. Next time I will look very carefully what is implemented in my car... I didn't expect that Serbia will not be covered because my old navigation have it from very long time.
  • ZsoltZsolt Posts: 35,976 Superusers
    Honestly, I don't say it for the sake of argument, but isn't is the same with everything we buy? I don't buy just any TV assuming it has say BBC iPlayer built in, going home and then saying Sony is rubbish because I paid for a TV so why is there no iPlayer? You look the specs and decide what to go for. If the satnav is built in the car and comes at no extra price, then again no argument. If it came as a paid feature, then at the point of sales it supposed to be displayed or information should be given about the features.
  • mnedelmnedel Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
     I did ask the seller at Renault saloon about map coverage. He told me that whole Europe is covered. I explicitly stated that I need gps mostly for Belgrade since I dont know the smaller streets. I was assured that TomTom has a good map of Serbia and that an even better one is expected soon. That was almost two years ago. I cant understand why my 6 years old Prestige has a very good map of the region, and TomTom cant or doesnt want to produce one. It is absurd.
  • Essex_BoyEssex_Boy Posts: 82 TomTom Employee
    Well I agree, something has gone awry here. Either the guy at Renault has been misinformed or he is just mistaken and passed on incorrect information. But we should explicitly state (or it should be explicitly stated when buying a Renault) that the Balkans at the moment really just has connector route coverage to Greece with a few detailed places in between.
    I wrote about this last year and was informed by Macedonia maybe produced september 2013. In all renaults bought in Serbia you can get mapping,but its format is different and cannot be used let's say in my scenic III. Much to my disbelief, I have no idea what went wrong with TOMTOM planning.

Considering that FYROM and Serbia are not covered, my first impression is a licensing problem. It would be nice and transparent if someone from TOMTOM could identify and explain the problem. Mabe a solution can be found from more ideas. i bought garmin covering all balkans for 50 euro...brilliant mapping.
    Don't know what happened with my text. First sentence should read - that i wrote about this last year and was infomred by 'Shorty' a TomTom employee that maps for Serbia and FYR Macedonia may be produced by september 2013????
This discussion has been closed.

Who's Online32

Ampim
Ampim
Bembo
Bembo
BenSim78
BenSim78
DougLap
DougLap
Elchdoktor
Elchdoktor