Map Share Reporter tool - an update and a thank you.

2»

Comments

• MegalosMegalos Posts: 5,786 Superusers
    Thanks Shorty. Okay, so to be clear, the first answer of the MSR engine room is wrong (because they said that 'closed' means Accepted/Not Accepted'). Reading your explanations, I think I understand the terminology now. Simply said: 'Accepted' means that the Local Content Operators have checked the submitted report and have said: 'Yes, this report is valid and ready to be implemented'. It is stored in a temporary database which is sent to the Map Production Center (once in a month for example). Next, if the Map Production Center have actually implemented the report in the map database, it gets the status 'Closed'. So this means that the 'mother' map database has been updated with the report (and thus that the report will be appearing in a downloadable map sometime in the future). I guess making the downloadable maps from this 'mother database' also can take a while (couple of months for example).

Shorty (or someone else), can you confirm (or deny) that this is roughly what's going on? Having this information, I still would like to have the answer from the MSR guys about the percentage of reports being accepted/not accepted ;-).
  • ShortyShorty Posts: 1,098 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    You're absolutely correct in your description except we (the Maps Team) regard as Closed Out that data that is in the hands of the Map Production Centre too.  Agreed this can be one step away from truly being in the map only due production constraints and if clarifications are required from the production office.  An example was when we converted our Africa database to Tele Atlas needs and then to Tom Tom methods there were a lot of queries back and forth but now things have bedded down well..  If you like, our major steps are to accept the contributions coming in.  These are aggregated and sent to Production during a 3 month period (remember our 3 month period doesn't match the calendar quarter).  So in the normal course, Receipt goes to Accepted to Closed Out.

I have an idea what the data achievements are from Receipt to Map (OK map storage for build) but will have to confirm first if this is data we wish to place on open forum or not.  Taken globally, I'm impressed. (at Target and Achievement against that) but it is one we are naturally wanting to improve
    You are absolutely correct in your summary ,  Except that, essentially, we regard data in the hands of the Map Production Team as closed out too.  We have no influence on them at this time except to send clean data to them and if there are queries that these be attended to immediately

Edit:  Sorry for the repition of the post :: Shorty
    Thanks Megalos - IE works but Firefox (12) doesn't, and that's what I prefer to use.
  • togtog Posts: 9 [Legendary Explorer]
    Thanks Shorty, It's a Browser issue.

Again I'm disappointed. Firefox is not properly supported - and almost twice as many people use Firefox than IE!
    I suppose that the on-line reporter is a bit easier to use than the TT device - but I don't suppose the browser works with the device to review problems marked on the device. Which makes it a bit hopeless in my view.
    One of the major gripes I have about the map system is that there are so many incorrect junctions, some of which are potentially dangerous. I flagged this a couple of years back but nothing has changed. The most obvious use, to me, of map corrections would be to correct these junction errors yet it still doesn't feature, even on the browser version.
    Tog, could you try Firefox 13? Do you have any addons installed on your FF12? I'm running FF13 here and I don't see problems with the MSR tool. Which version of Windows do you have? Is it 32-bit or 64-bit?
    Hi Tog - if you had made those intersection reports a long time ago then it would have been through a precursor to Map Share Reporter.  We simply MUST get the intersections you mention, corrected if they have not been already (v890 shop-release of the map).  Two things off the cuff, both painful but one slightly less than the other :D

One:  If your older reports are still "pending" or even "not accepted" AND the precursor to Map Share Reporter Tool gave you a contribution ID (of any sort that we could identify) then please send them to me (PM is best) and I will get the UK content operations team to look into them and give me a report

Two:  If you can recall those that you don't travel everyday then place a note in MSR; certainly place a note of those you do travel regularly.  If the intersection is indeed still wobbly then expand the issue in the description field provided.  Now if these remain pending for longer than let's say 15 days, then list their ID's for me and I'll send a question.

As to Firefox and IE (or any other browser) I could not agree with you more.  I wish we could find it within ourselves to change up a gear to Firefox but it might be an overall functionality issue throughout the Group - I make enough waves on data so go guess ....

The matter of MSR not being too happy with some browsers is on the list (presented) of suggestions for MSR improvement though.
    Firefox 13 doesn't yet have an update for an add-on that I use so I'm holding off for now.

I'm using the 64 bit version of 7 Home Edition.

Re comments I made to Shorty in my response to him - I feel the device "mark error" (?) tool is most useful so I'm not hugely concerned that MSR doesn't work for me. I appreciate your help though :-)
    Hi Shorty, Yes, the intersection reports were made a year ago perhaps, certainly before MSR. However, as I mentioned previously, there are huge numbers of intersection errors (which drive me mad with their repeated announcements) and no simple tool to report them. MUCH more important in my view, as they would make for a much more pleasant driving experience. And provide an enhanced "quality" feeling of the product.

TomTom have quite a few customers putting in significant time and effort to help make the product better - and what do they get out of it? Zip. Quite often they don't even have the satisfaction of seeing the problems they flag being dealt with in a sensible timescale. TomTom seem to be more concerned with a constant flow of new products rather than providing a good service to existing customers.

Now I'm off to try and find a solution to why I have to turn off the voice each time I power on the device. And why it seems to be seizing up frequently at power-up. I'm not  a happy bunny.

I've done the usual - backed up, cleared and installed "latest" software. Now, having copied back mapsettings.cfg I find it just gets overwritten by a new version, and I have no Favourites etc.

Why is this system so poorly designed and implemented!

Many other people have the same problems - going back years (I got mine 4 years ago, lost Favourites, learned a lot) and it's still going on.

I won't be buying another TomTom!
    Tog, could you try to temporarily disable the addons in Firefox 12? Maybe these are causing problems, since my FF12 without addons did not give any problems. About your problem with the voices, I think it's best to create a new topic in the Car Navigation section of the forum: http://discussions.tomtom.com/t5/Car-navigation/ct-p/products, this section is only for Map Quality issues. This way we can keep things structured and easy to find for other users ;-).
  • nfriedlinfriedli Posts: 11 [Outstanding Explorer]
    I have reports still pending after 5 months. I like the fact we can report map errors, but it is taking way too long.
    Agreed - far too long.  Will you mind sending me the GUID's for each and add their respective countries?  The latter helps me target the correct Operations Team, quicker.  Any others too that may be dangling in the wind.
    Shorty,

Here is the ID for the oldest report.

id: ffe05981-89bf-1031-a330-3a5a14587d6b - Australia

Thanks for your help.

Cheers
  • ZsoltZsolt Posts: 35,978 Superusers
    I thought you can't make reports in Australia, due to 3rd party maps. Has it changed?
    Actually you can perfectly make reports in Australia using the MSR tool. However, their status will be 'Pending' forever it seems. I've made something like 10 reports in Australia (first one in March 2012), but all are still pending. Some of my reports did get corrected in new maps though, so maybe it's just the status that does not get updated. Anyway, to be sure, I always make two reports; one using the MSR tool and one using the Whereis tool: [url=http://www.whereismaps.com/report-map-corrections.aspx"; target="_blank]http://www.whereismaps.com/report-map-corrections.aspx[/url]. [url=http://www.whereis.com/products/report-a-map-error/"; target="_blank]
    [/url]
    Correct - make both.  I'm not sure whether MSR is accepted in Ozz and NZ yet.  I'll check
    If WhereIs has the correct information already and MSR is not accepted in Oz (why?) and reporting error via the device itself does not bear any results either, how must I go about getting corrections made?
    I'm not sure MSR input is not accepted, only the status is not changed it seems. I've seen some of my MSR corrections in Australia implemented in new map releases, but the status is still pending. If WhereIs already has the correct information, I think the next TT map will also have this correct information, as the TT maps as based on the WhereIs maps. 
    Yes that's correct.  Use MSR for both Ozz and NZ reports but still report the data via the Internet.  To Australia using Megalos' link below .[/url]  Both get through and I've had a query and the MSR GUID was quoted.  I just have to find my report now :@  The reports will remain "Pending" forever for the time being so take it that your MSR has been noted and acted upon.
    Thank you for the GUID nfriedli - the query to Ozz is on it's way.

And received a nice Thank You e-mail setting out what I reported.  They certainly call for much more information than an MSR report - we could learn a trick or two.
    Thanks for your help in the matter. I will not worry aboit the status of the report and will keep an eye on the map correction. Cheers
    Let's just say things are changing but theres as long hard grind to go and I'm afraid that's all I'm going to say.  Let'e change the subject back to the original Topic.;)
This discussion has been closed.

Who's Online51

Denis2
Denis2
Fabia
Fabia
Michael Lew
Michael Lew
R&S
R&S
Schulz Klaus-Peter
Schulz Klaus-Peter