Is my VIA 1535 charging??

Hi there,

My husband bought a TomTom GPS unit the other day for a trip we're taking this weekend. I've been trying to get it up and working for a good portion of the afternoon, but I can't tell if it's charged or not. I entered my serial number on this site, and according to that, I have a Via 1535 unit. I don't even see a spot on the entire unit for where a light may be indicating that it's charging, there's no light or indication of how much battery power is on it. It's been plugged into my laptop for the better part of 3 hours or so now, and my husband was just able to get it past the first screen, after it's been turned on. He managed to enter our address and the destination address we'll be travelling to, so I'm assuming it's got a bit of a charge now...? It's turned off again in the hopes that it will fully charge up. But how will I know when it's fully charged? I don't want to get an hour into my trip and have it crash out on me! Also, approximately how long does a charge last? Or will it be charging as it's turned on, but plugged into the lighter space in my car?

Thanks! I'd appreciate any helpful advice or tips.

Comments

• ZsoltZsolt Posts: 36,020 Superusers
    There should be a menu for the battery in the settings, on the device. It has no light to indicate that it is either plugged in or charging. It supposed to charge, but at least hold the charge via the car charger. If you keep it plugged in, and your cigar lighter in the car works fine, it shouldn't switch off. The battery can last for up to 1.5-2 hours, but it really depends on how you use it, and what is switched on (functions on the device). Either way, when you are in the car, you should use the card charger.
  • L-BL-B Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Wonderful, thank you very much! This is our first GPS so I'm totally new to all this. :) I looked it up in settings, and it indicates that the battery is fully charged.

Thanks again!
  • RichJRichJ Posts: 17 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Some cars have power outlets that are turned off when the car isn't operating or the key is not in the accessory position. You can purchase a 12 volt power supply for about $35 US dollars that can be charged up and then used to charge your TomTom when the power outlet is turned off.
  • Genie291Genie291 Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thankyou for your help.
  • JoAnnaJoAnna Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I tried to charge my TomTom in my car and on the computer but it is not coming up..any suggestions
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,487 Superusers
    Hi

Which tomtom is it and how old is it, what do you mean "but it is not coming up"

Is it dead or do you mean you don't know where to look to see the charge state ???

ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'
    i HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY NEW START 25.  I HELD THE POWER BUTTON ON FOR  LONG TIME AND IT EVENTUALLY CAME ON.  SECONDLY I FOUND AN OPTION ON SCREEN FOR ALLOWING POWER WHEN NOT CONNECTED TO CAR OR COMPUTER. GOOD LUCK
  • drabmulocdrabmuloc Posts: 7 [Legendary Explorer]
    Hi all! The question is - when I connect my Start25 to the computer does my 25 have to be switched on to charge it? With my old 710 when it was connected to the computer or connected to the power, and, it was NOT switched on, it still showed a red light indicated it was charging - the 25 does not have that red light indication.
  • ZsoltZsolt Posts: 36,020 Superusers
    Some said it doesn't have to be on. I personally prefer it on and it is charging a bit slower.
    Hi Kudos, thanks for your V swift response! Unfortunately, "some said' ain't a possitive enough reply for me to have any confidence, so I have set up an email with TomTom service, who are usually V good in replying, so I will let you and all hear of their response.
    Hi AnthonyGS, with due respect if it ain't connected to the car or computer how does it charge up?
  • dhndhn Posts: 33,151 Superusers
    drabmuloc wrote:

Hi all! The question is - when I connect my Start25 to the computer does my 25 have to be switched on to charge it? With my old 710 when it was connected to the computer or connected to the power, and, it was NOT switched on, it still showed a red light indicated it was charging - the 25 does not have that red light indication.
    Well, when I charge my devices, they are NEVER 'on' and they charge just fine. And I have a bunch of devices here that I do it for.
    Apologies for my action moderater! I will restrict my questions to the forums in future.
  • dhndhn Posts: 33,151 Superusers
    No apologies needed. I am NOT a moderator here, just a user such as yourself and, in fact, literally just now pulled a device from the computer after four hours and the device 'off'. Now it shows a full battery icon (was showing red and giving the low battery warning).

You see, when you power 'off' a device, it really is not truly off; rather, it is in suspend mode like your tv is when 'off''.
    Hi dhn of Canada, OK, not too sure about the moderation aspect, but, your knowledge is very helpful.  I have just checked my piece of kit, having used it last night, and whilst it and my computer have been switched off,  and with the Start 25 connected to my computer over night, it does appear to be fully charged. This confirms your statement - "connected to the computer, be either on or off, or to mains power via the converter, and, again, with the Start 25 switched off, it is still charging!"  Still think a little red light would save a lot of hassle. Thanks again!
  • UmiUmi Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I have a TomTom Start. When I first got it several years ago I put it on to charge as instructed (it has a red light on the plug) but 24 hours later the red light was still on. However it has always worked on the lighter socket in the car without recharging it at home. Yesterday it ran out of charge while I was still driving and wouldn't work again even though it was plugged into the lighter socket, so I brought it home. It has now been charging for 20 hours and the red light is still on. The setting shows it is three-quarters full.

Another problem I have is to how to update the maps. If I ever had software it was on an old computer. I tried downloading an app from the site but it doesn't seem to do anything.

I appreciate I sound like a moron, but what to do?
  • BaronJackBaronJack Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    For What you pay for the TOMTOM I Think it as disgusting the short life time of the batter in this day and age your supposed to be able to walk about with it. TOMTOm should be ashamed of them self with out Prejudice.