Waiting for a Gps Signal

AntonRadmanAntonRadman Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
edited January 30 in Archived Discussions
I have the latest update installed 11.037. I have soft reset it many times. I have even restored the factory settings. Because of the MyTomTom software installed on my computer i cannot back it up properly or unistall the hardware. My mum's GO750 Live gets a signal every time. I have to make a 75 mile journey on Sat and this is unacceptable. The update has not helped at all. 

This satnav is a TomTom Start 20. At first it was fantastic. Now it just searches for a valid GPS signal for over half and hour just happily searching. Can someone please give me useful advice apart from backing up or just resetting it. Which doesn't do anything BTW. Literally it resets and still waiting for a BLOOODY signal. 
From the mind of a very frustrated Traveller

Comments

• Lupus1Lupus1 Posts: 4,457 [Elite Voyager]
    Hi,

did you try resetting it once at a location where you'd definitely get a GPS signal? After updating to version 11.037 that was what many users needed to do. Just don't reset the device while being indoors but outdoors where there's a GPS signal definitely available.

Regards
    Lars.
    ____________________________________________________TT XLS LIVE IQ Routes Edition (Text-to-Speech)map/Europe_North 875.3613 TT Start 60 map/Europe 910.4964 TT GO 6000map/Europe 926.5515TT Runner Cardio watchTT Home 2.9.7.3256MyDrive Connect 3.3.0.1317MySports Connect 1.3.9Win8 64bit
    I'm no TT employee but just a customer trying to help
  • AntonRadmanAntonRadman Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Hi Lars 

Mate trust me, I have reset outside standing in front of my house. It connect once or twice this past week, but thats out of maybe a 100 times. My mum brought her tomtom 750 live to the house, indoors it connected 20/20 times. So no problem getting a signal indoors. When it does work to double test it. I turn it off and switch it back on and then when i try to load a destination the WAITING FOR A VALID GPS SIGNAL comes on for well sometimes unless i cancel it it never goes away. It shouldn't take more than 10 minutes for it to find a signal. I'm at the end of my rope. This has only started happening recently. I've had it for about 6 months.

Kind Regards

Anton
  • ZsoltZsolt Posts: 35,976 Superusers
    Try this:

"Hold the power button until you get to the (diagnostic) screen.

Then......... 3 QUICK taps of the on/off button. About a half second apart: tap-tap-tap.

Then connect to the computer. Hopefully, a screen will open up and offer you the last known good application for your unit. This process is known as a recovery ...

If that works and an application is installed, then hopefully your map will be recognized.

Then connect to the computer again and get the new application with the goal that this time the installation will go properly and your map recognized."

And this:

[url=http://discussions.tomtom.com/t5/TomTom-GO-800-1000-2000-Via/SOLUTION-for-the-GPS-SIGNAL-issue/m-p/202399/message-uid/202399#U202399"; target="_blank]http://discussions.tomtom.com/t5/TomTom-GO-800-1000-2000-Via/SOLUTION-for-the-GPS-SIGNAL-issue/m-p/202399/message-uid/202399#U202399[/url]
    Hi Zsolt 

Cool name btw. I seem to have placated the gods of the Satnav for now. When i switch off and turn it on i wait a minute and it finally gives me a route. I will save your method if it dares challenges me again. This is extremely stressful if i meet the CEO of the TomTom company he's gonna get a good kick in the NUTS. 

Good luck everyone Else.

Sincerely 

Anton Radman

P.s. Knowing this Tom Tom this won't be my last post
    Yay ;)

Like the kick in the nuts part ;)
  • LGOLGO Posts: 9 [Legendary Explorer]
    I have an OLDER TOMTOM ONE and am experiencing the same problem - Waiting for a valid GPS signal.

There is no fix listed on this site for TOMTOM ONE. Additionally, my TOMTOM ONE did not come with a software installation disc, and I see NO SUPPORT for this unit except possibly this Forum. Under the satelites bar on the right of the screen, I see a Version number (software, it is assumed) Version 7.502, the serial begins with PB, so the site does identify it as a TOMTOM ONE, but where is the fix for this unit? Understand, I liked the simplicity of the unit, even though it would sometimes only get me into a town, rather than to my exact location, but it has to be able to receive the satelite signal. Can this unit be fixed? I've tried resetting, and that only lost my stored addresses and settings. If there is a fix, then advise me soon.
  • MegalosMegalos Posts: 5,780 Superusers
    LGO, did you download the latest QuickGPSfix version in TT HOME? Did you try to reset your device ([url=http://www.tomtom.com/6965"; target="_blank]http://www.tomtom.com/6965)[/url]? Also, please update your device using TT HOME to the latest application version (that's v8.010).
  • AnxiousAnxious Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I have been driving around the UK for 2 days with my SAT Nav on and I am still waiting for a signal. I am losing hours of work time trying to get to places. I have followed all the advice on the web site and nothing helps. I cannot afford to buy yet another SAT NAV
  • NedKellyNedKelly Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I have the same problem with a Smart20.  Unfortunately I can even download the update. I go into my TomTom and it connects for a few seconds, then drops out with the message" something has gone wrong with you navigation device. Please call customer support"

The USA site cant help and said call the UK. The rude poms had me on hold (from France) for 45 minutes then cut me off with the message that hey are now closed until Monday. Anyone come across this problem before. Thanks
    Zsolt wrote:
    Try this:

"Hold the power button until you get to the (diagnostic) screen.

Then......... 3 QUICK taps of the on/off button. About a half second apart: tap-tap-tap.

Then connect to the computer. Hopefully, a screen will open up and offer you the last known good application for your unit. This process is known as a recovery ...

If that works and an application is installed, then hopefully your map will be recognized.

Then connect to the computer again and get the new application with the goal that this time the installation will go properly and your map recognized."

And this:

[url=http://discussions.tomtom.com/t5/TomTom-GO-800-1000-2000-Via/SOLUTION-for-the-GPS-SIGNAL-issue/m-p/202399/message-uid/202399#U202399"; target="_blank]http://discussions.tomtom.com/t5/TomTom-GO-800-1000-2000-Via/SOLUTION-for-the-GPS-SIGNAL-issue/m-p/202399/message-uid/202399#U202399[/url]
    @Anxious: Which device do you have and what is its software version?
    @NedKelly: Which browser did you try it with? Have you emptied the cache in MyTT?
  • NedKellyNedKelly Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thanks Zsolt -

I used Mozilla Firefox as my browser.

I am not sure how to empty the cach (or what that actually means) on my TT.

As you can probably guess - I'm a bit new at this.

Many thanks for your help.
  • citymickcitymick Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi , I've just taken my sat nav to a friend and he says the reason for nor the " the waiting for gps signal " is to do with the date not being set right, it is something to do with the LEAP YEAR ?
    It is due to the leap year, but the satnav would sync the date and time with the satellite, but it ia confusing it and doesn't lock to. Update to the latest and the bug will be sorted.
  • Chrissywolf10Chrissywolf10 Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Well fed up now, got my TomTom Start 20 from my parents for Xmas only used it a few times when it lost GPS signal, my brother got same!  We have done everything suggested and have the latest update and still no GPS signal. Went down to London Gatwick last week 500 miles there and back and still searching for a bloody GPS signal.

What a waste of money on my parents part, will buy a Garmin next time!!!!!!
    Are you on 11.037 and have you done the soft reset? Have you heard the drum roll?
    Hi Guys its been almost two months since i started this thread to get some discussion going about the supposed "update" and i hope some people have been helped, with the discussion feedback etc.

For me personally its been two months since i complained about my Start 20.

I have to say recently the update has helped, not right away then it was a complete pain, even now i have to wait between 5 minutes and 30 minutes to get a signal, but i am getting one. And i am getting one consistently.

Can't say if this is the same for everyone's but months later like mine if you've noticed your signal reception has improved plz comment.

Don't want TomTom to think i just wanna slag em off all the time lol.

Thanx for all postings and discussions so far.

P.S. The update and the soft reset really worked for me. But it took close to a week to a month for the sat nav to get better. Listen to Zsolt he/she (don't wanna discriminate) is very helpful.
    It is he :)
  • NuncamasNuncamas Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    He comprado el start 20, no tenia señal, he ingresado al mytomtom para actualizar y ahora ni siquiera tengo mapa, Trato de instalarle el mapa y me quieren cobrar 69 euros, Que clase de servicio ofrecen aqui??? lamentable TOMTOM, muy mal servicio ofrecen.
    Ah y todavia el foro es solo en inglés.

I bought the 20 start, had no sign, I entered the MyTomTom to update and now I have not even map, try putting on the map and want to charge me 69 euros, thatkind of service offered here?? TOMTOM unfortunate, very poor service offered.
    Oh and the forum is still in English only.   
  • dud3dud3 Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    After 6 months frustration, I'd advise anyone just to update the maps on a TomTom One rather than waste  money on an unfinished and underdeveloped product like my Start 25. New is not necessarily better.
  • iciniicini Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    I have a new start 25, bought as a replacement for my "One" as I was unable to work out how to upload latest maps or if it had enough memory. Wish I had purchased another brand. It takes about 10-15 minutes to get a sat signal. Not much use if you've just pulled out of an indoor carpark and want to know which way to go !  Useless bit of junk.  Next time will go for garmin.
  • timiskottimiskot Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I just got a brand new Start 20, it was working fine for 40 kilometers. But after a dinner break it couldn´t find a GPS signal any more! 

Somehow I managed to reach my destination, I went to tomtom.com/getstarted and got the MyTomTom, but all it says is "making connection" (between the navigator and mac), but nothing happens no matter how long I wait. 

And it says navigator is updated.

On FAQ, it says i should update the software into one of the following to get GPS signal back: 11,037 / 11,181 / 10,839.

My software in the actual navigator seems to be 10.156, how do I get it updated if my computer doesn´t make connection with the device??

I´m abroad from my home country, super pissed, and I´m supposed to start Europe road trip the day after tomorrow!!
    Check at the network connections, TT's adapter should be enabled.
  • iciniicini Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    And it seems TomTom know either they have a lousy product or updating it is tricky ( no doubt they read this) and sometimes impossible.. yet they do nothing to help and keep right on selling it.
This discussion has been closed.

Who's Online35

Awkward_Loki
Awkward_Loki
Bembo
Bembo
BrigitteM
BrigitteM
Celine78
Celine78
gbdoc
gbdoc