Map Coverage - Bosnia, Serbia, Montenegro

ContraContra Posts: 8 [Legendary Explorer]
edited January 30 in Archived Discussions
When can we expect to have decent coverage for these countries, it is part of the Europe after all, is it?

Not even Major roads with TomTom maps, while other providers have street numbers (iGO, Nokia...)?

Shame for TT, and my device that it integrated in the car is completely useles.

Comments

• ShortyShorty Posts: 1,098 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Doesn't sound too good Contra.  Before I take a guess at this let me rather make contact with the production team relevant.

Continued:  I assume you are working from the most current version for the region ...v885? :: Shorty
    My map version is: Europe V880.3812 Updated somewhere around december 2011.

So I guess this isn't latest version.

TomTom Home is also informing me about new map, but where can I check features of new map before purchase. I really do not want to spend any more money on maps, until I have these areas up to at least minimium of decency.

If this will update Western Europe - and I suppose it will - I am still stuck with unusable map of Balkan countries.

Continued: And if latest map is what I see when using Route Planner from TomTom Home, than no good again.
  • ZsoltZsolt Posts: 35,976 Superusers
    @Contra: Just wanted to say to have a look at route planner or Map Share Reporter. I am not sure it is on v885 but v880. Unfortunately there is no option to preview the map...
    Hang in there contra - I've sent a mail off and I hope to receive a reply soon.  Marketing is going to give me a blurt but it would make no sense going for v885 if there have been only a few changes in your area of interest.  Zsolt - thanks, you've reminded me to find out the currency of the maps we use in MSR and Route Planner.
    TomTom, you stole my money. Your product is useles at Balkan. You should inform everyone who wants to by your GPS as a WORNING sign on your product that it's not usable at Balkan.

p.s. You should give me my money back for my TomTom Go 630
    This is the same comment as contra's above.  Have you checked either in Route Planner or Map Share Reporter for the latest information.  These products' maps lag the map release by only a few weeks.

You'll have to contact your Sales Dealer about a refund - if there are such arrangements.  Have subsequently checkeked; policy is that there can be no refund once the package is opened (or after first use of the download  This Board deals with Map Quality.
    Which map version do you have?
  • tabasnicetabasnice Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Short man weack up,  the maps for Croatia,Serbia Bosnia...are not well done at these sites
  • ContraContra Posts: 8 [Legendary Explorer]
    @Shorty

In fact I checked Route Planner before the purchase and I knew I have no maps for my area.

My question is, is there any timeframe (release plans) for this region to be included with at least decent map?

This is shame:

http://www.routes.tomtom.com/#/map/?center=43.850006%2C18.3833&zoom=9&map=basic

This area has around 11.5 mil population, I guess that is not enough for this market to be interesting for TomTom?
    @tabasnice - I am, & I've have said I will.  Flaming won't get anything done faster - in fact it could slow things down

@Contra - thanks for the snapshot - very useful for me - it shows a map in the first stage of making a map and that is to develop the main road network.  It's not a shame - it's the start of the process - main road network and only primary POI's on that route; the next phase is to start filling in the secondary road-work focusing on cities & towns first and then the country side.  It's at this stage that many more POI's enter the map -  this is the most usual process.  I don't have knowledge of how countries or areas of the World are selected to build up with Tom Tom Maps but I doubt it's only the population in a particular zone.  Now it IS a shame, if the second phase hasn't started yet..

Now, you may not yet seen any of phase 2 & 3 so my promise above was to make contact with the production team and what their targets are going forward

I HAVE sent the mail I promised to do and most usually the chaps are back to me in a few days.
    I'm in Serbia at the moment and I was quite surprised to get here and have almost zero help from my tomtom. 
  • radosuafradosuaf Posts: 187 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    Has anyone tested Croatia? I'm going there in July and am wondering if I'd be better off taking another navigation device...
  • MegalosMegalos Posts: 5,780 Superusers
    I only once went to a more tourist region of Croatia, and there the coverage was very good. But I did not use the TT in other areas. You could use this website: http://routes.tomtom.com to get a global impression of the coverage of Croatia. Maybe it can help you estimating the quality of the Croatia map.
  • radosuafradosuaf Posts: 187 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    Went from Poland to Makarska - so far so good. Tomorrow I'm going to Brac and Hvar... Expecting some problems, we'll see how it'll go...
    Thanks for the update radosuaf.  i think as you go futher south you'll encounter just the Main Road Network :D  I'm jealous - working while you are holidaying ....
    Actually, the map is much better than I expected, although Dubrovnik needs a few updates definitely. And also ferry times are completely wrong. Apart from that I have to say I'm quite impressed in general. Maybe it's because I don't know the area at all, as opposed to Poland, but I'm getting where I want to get - and that's the purpose of navigation, right?
    Please have in mind I asked about Bosnia, Serbia and Montenegro - not about Croatia (what radosuaf) talks about. Croatia is covered around 70% if you ask me, but these 3 countries - 0.7 % if that much.
  • anitabanitab Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Contra wrote:
    Please have in mind I asked about Bosnia, Serbia and Montenegro - not about Croatia (what radosuaf) talks about. Croatia is covered around 70% if you ask me, but these 3 countries - 0.7 % if that much.
    After reading all this I am quite puzzled - was down there 2 years ago and had a Garmin with me and that worked well, not like the tomtom - so maybe we should skip the tomtom in the future?
    That's fair comment if we're either only at the first or even the second stage of building the map of those countries.  Building maps cannot, practically, be built as immediately as one would desire - I'm just as eager as anyone else to have a zone or country completed.  I've said it before, and I am awake, a map starts off being built with the major road network only.  Town/City names would also appear at this stage but to navigate to that city centre may not be possible unless there is a highway feeding it.  Town (from City to Villages) are placed close to an "official" building - like a Post Office, Court, Municipal/Metro Office(s) even a State Hospital if the former are not available.

The next step is to add the interconnecting roads and work at this stage also starts on the detail building of the Capital City.  The third stage would include any tertiary roads there may be, associated with the road network built to that date and the next largest cities would be added (now in near final detail).

So yes, in the early stages you will perhaps find only the major road network available - this means that work on that country (or even a zone of countries HAS started). As far as I know, all digital database businesses do their work this way.  One Nav Device producer can be ahead of another - that just means they started there earlier than we did - that's all.

That's the process and by continuous posting as above won't (& cannot) hasten the process.  Our Content Operation Centres push this work as hard as they can - I can say this with authority because I am part of one such team.  Once one realises this process (of building a map to finality) then one can better understand the situation and what stage the building of the map is at that time.
    This is quite annoying to read all those semi-technical-semi-diplomatic description of how maps are build.

Shorty, we are all grown people, keep it in your mind.

1. On your registration site you still have "Serbia and Montenegro" as one country, although they are separated several  years ago?!? You are the one who is dealing with maps,countries, regions etc. If.... You want to tell me that your team do not know about that - you have to do some changes in your "team". I'll tell you - you just don't care.

2. I had my Go910 more than 5 years and it was excellent device, but unfortunately it was stolen last December from my car. Lot of people know that from 2007. there was beta-released map of eastern Europe which includes Serbia, not complete but, let's say more than 50%. It wasn't perfect, but it was useful, for Belgrade have no house number only road intersection, but....it's better than nothing. That map was for the short time mentioned on Tomtom official website (I know that, I was fascinated with my driving assistant and I visit Tomtom site twice per week at that time)  after that ..Only silence. I took that map from internet and install without activation or any other restrictions.

3. Now I have new Go750Live, and it's also perfect device, with 45 countries....excellent. But, where is Serbia?!?

Now it is not possible to install same beta-released map without activation. And....there are no possibilities to activate!!!

I want to pay, I want to have it LEGAL, just give me opportunity.

Conclusion: Map of Serbia (Bosnia and Montenegro as well) do EXIST!!!! Now, after 5 years for sure it is better than 2007.

It is just matter of policy if you will publish it....Or not. I do know my country and my town, map of Serbia is not crucial to me. But, think of million of users of Tomtom that are coming to Belgrade, Sarajevo or Boka kotorska every year. I hope you've heard of those locations. I am shamed when my friends from Netherlands or Germany comes in Serbia and ask me for my Tomtom.

Suggestion: Tomtom users are SMART people. You cannot fool them with some bla-bla about stages of creating maps. Maybe...In your next observation you will explain difference between updating entire Europe map and building (already existing) map of abandoned regions.

Just....Be decent.
  • DreamepDreamep Posts: 91 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    So, Shorty... have you got any answer from the mapping team if any work is currently done on Bosnia and Serbia maps? I am also from the ones having a new Renault car with TomTom navigation _hoping_ it would at least have a map for Serbia (wouldn't even hope to have map of Bosnia, where I am currently residing). This, for sure, will stop me from buying map updates up to the point when there is map of at least Serbia (think about all those millions of turkish people going forth and back from NL/DE/SWE to Turkey). And if you say there is no point to stress the same thing again - no, there is - whoever is responsible for map prioritizing should be aware of these requests.

Good that I have an iGO based navigation with BiH/Serbia maps by local providers.

Thanks.
  • vujavuja Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Anything new for maps Bosnia, Serbia and Montenegro?!
  • vujavuja Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I found beta version eastern europe on internet, but TomTom ask me for activation code. Do I need activation for beta version?!
  • DreamepDreamep Posts: 91 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Beta? What version is that?
    And here we are, 10 months later, I guess 3 map updates in between with not even near estimate when we will have these countries added. I guess all of us, fools that spent 400 EUR to have in car navigation are not important for tomtom after all.
This discussion has been closed.

Who's Online19

big
big
+18 Guests