it's our job to update maps??

PatheticLoserPatheticLoser Posts: 7 [Neophyte Traveler]
edited January 14 in Archived Discussions
after reading all of these posts with the same complaint, useless outdated maps, and the main response seems to be that after paying for my TT and paying for an "updated" map which is at least 5 years out of date it is my job to make mapshare updates so TT can have a more current map. this is nothing more than a scam.

Comments

• Lupus1Lupus1 Posts: 4,457 [Elite Voyager]
    Hi,

TT tries to keep track of road changes being made all over the world. But as no company can cover all roads worldwide to check for changes every quarter of a year it takes some time that TT or better the mapping company Teleatlas notice the changes.

Therefore they need to be informed about changes so they can check those changes and implement them in their next map updates. If this isn't done by either the construction companies or the governments' appropriate departments TT/Teleatlas have no chance of getting all those roads. Therefore they rely on customers sending map corrections as well.

But this is done by Navteq (the only other map provider for PNDs) as well. These companies all depend on getting information about road changes from every source they can get this information from.

Regards

Lars.
    ____________________________________________________TT XLS LIVE IQ Routes Edition (Text-to-Speech)map/Europe_North 875.3613 TT Start 60 map/Europe 910.4964 TT GO 6000map/Europe 926.5515TT Runner Cardio watchTT Home 2.9.7.3256MyDrive Connect 3.3.0.1317MySports Connect 1.3.9Win8 64bit
    I'm no TT employee but just a customer trying to help
  • ShortyShorty Posts: 1,098 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Quite correct AND the choice is voluntary.  An owner is not by any means obliged to report anything that differs from reality in the map in use.  I'd almost go so far as saying if you don't want to join the Map Share initiative then one should not complain .... but I won't say that because even a remark about poor mapping is enough of a pointer to us that something needs attention :)
    "A perfect software is always a work in progress" That's the quote I got from one of the admins here. 

No map provider could ever pull out a100% accurate map. That's where the map share reporter comes into place. 
  • ShortyShorty Posts: 1,098 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Correct and that is also why we have had so many super suggestions to make Map Share Reporter even better than it is now.  Implementing all these won't come about overnight since some are a 'tall order' and others less difficult to implement - another 'work in progress'.  Wish it were so that we could in a flash (OK let's say 1 year) cover the whole World with digitised (& rectified) maps with say 80% of all POI per Country, but while we do have fair coverage (measured on this World scale) all to achieve this is also 'a work in progress'.
    i was staggered to find over decade old turn prohibited data is not correct on the latest map for one of the biggest roads on London. When i cant rely on my sat nav to not turn me onto a major dual carriageway when this is not permitted and is freaking dangerous together with no being able to get any community error corrections i have to ask, whats the point of this unit?

btw..its a 1005 and im talking about the turns telling me i can take the north circluar road a406 from both brent street (right turn) and from golders green road (right turn).
  • R_K_BellR_K_Bell Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    I use the map share correction feature and will continue.  It does drive me a little nuts when I go to the trouble to log into Teleatlas and now Navteq and correct a street address (Namely My home address) and get a support ticket. I follow the support ticket and after a couple of weeks it is corrected on Navteq.  Then a quarter goes by and I get the latest map from TomTom and my address is once again a block away and incorrect.  I also understand TomTom has to test new roads to make sure they work but how long does that take. My address has been my address since july 1, 1989, (that is over 21 years) Georgia DOT started construction on a 2.1 mile stretch of highway that connected two major roads locally called the Windy-Mac Connector. Construction started October 2008. It was completed and open for use August 2011. I see on Google Maps it has been updated and is on their maps. It is not however on TomTom (Just downloaded the latest maps Mar 5, 2012.)
  • TomTomistaTomTomista Posts: 224 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    Hi community,

it is not our job but the sense of such a community to correct maps very much earlier than official departments are doing. You surely will appreciate my map corrections within my home area You are visiting ...

Please start and continue

Brgds 
    Tomtomista

TomTom XXL IQ Routes Edition, Central Europe V940.5963, Anwendung 9.510.1234792.2, OS 842337, NF-469
    TomTomHome 2.9.7.3256 on Win7, Avira protected
  • ohnotsureyetohnotsureyet Posts: 57 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    not if they are on a 1000 series unit!
    Hi,

TT is still using maps from Teleatlas. They aren't using Navteq maps so correcting map errors on Navteq's maps won't help TT. If using the Map Share Reporter tool the correction gets usually checked within a few weeks. However it might take some time to get the corrections implemented to a map. Also not all corrections are being corrected on the devices even if you are able to receive the corrections due to having a NAV2 device.

It still makes sense to report found errors via the online tool as TT will see that there's something to be corrected and they can check on the area to correct the errors in one of the following maps.

Regards

Lars.
    ____________________________________________________TT XLS LIVE IQ Routes Edition (Text-to-Speech)map/Europe_North 875.3613 TT Start 60 map/Europe 910.4964 TT GO 6000map/Europe 926.5515TT Runner Cardio watchTT Home 2.9.7.3256MyDrive Connect 3.3.0.1317MySports Connect 1.3.9Win8 64bit
  • ohnotsureyetohnotsureyet Posts: 57 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    how exactly does that work? You seem to be saying tomtom can lay their own layer contianing community corrections over the tleatlas map?

Also is there any reason why those able to recieve corrections do not get all corrections?
    Hi,

as Teleatlas is being owned by TT the information being recorded by TT via the MapShare feature on the NAV2 devices and the Map Share Reporter tool gets verified and passed on to the map production teams from Teleatlas for implementation in the maps.

Some errors like new streets or roundabouts cannot be added to the map as that information has to be hardcoded into the map and isn't applicable via a small software update. The only information being receivable is that that gets applied on your device directly when correcting an error as well.

Regards

Lars.
    I corrected them on TeleAtlas as well. Still the address migrates BACK to the old location.
  • TraylawTraylaw Posts: 3,865 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    Road and address corrections can be sent and patched in small updates. ALK (Copiot ) does this. Every 4 weeks they release an update to their maps. They also guarantee that any corrections you submit will be fix in 45 days. Most of the time if you get the correction in within 2 weeks of the next release it gets included.
    ********************************************************************Report map errors at http://www.tomtom.com/mapshare/tools/********************************************************************
  • ZsoltZsolt Posts: 35,976 Superusers
    @Traylaw: TT could implement something like this. Little patches available on a monthly basis. However, who would buy a new map then :)

On that note...they could increase map update service sales by promising (and keeping the promise) of monthly patches and 3 monthly major updates...
  • radosuafradosuaf Posts: 187 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    Subscription is for time period anyway. Don't see why this would mean people wouldn't buy maps...
    I meant in case you get free patches here and there, why would you buy a new map for a while. After a while it is cheaper almost to have an up to date unit with warranty. Obviously if you buy a discounted map update that is another kettle of fish.
  • radosuafradosuaf Posts: 187 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    Silmple solution is to make patches available to subscribed users only. And I find the idea to be very good, considering how outdated the maps are.
    I don't think the purchasing of maps is such a problem.  The reason I bought the GPS I have is because it came with lifetime map updates as part of the purchase price. 
    That offer is available in the American continent only.
  • RickHaggettRickHaggett Posts: 11 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Good reply about updating maps. I am still trying to get help from TT on how to do this. I just keep getting letters that tell me they are here to help. I cannot get a answer. How to up date maps with the computer and what the hell does it cost? Are they up to date? My tt in the car tells me the roads have changed ten per cent since I bought my unit. I plug my unit in to the computer and nothing happens. Am I supposed to turn it on? If so then what? There is a line on one of the pages but does not leave enough space to write your story and there is no place to click to send. I am just about ready to throw this thing in the garbage can. Frustrated and fed up!!! I could be wrong on this but when I bought my unit I think it stated something that if I update within the first 30 days the up date is free??
    Which device do you have?
    On the box it says, VIA 1535. I also tried to upload the info from my GPS into the computer with no luck. It shows a instruction page, then leaves you hanging not telling you how or where to get to the page to do this. Ready to throw the **bleep** thing in the garbage
    Did you download and install the MyTomTom application?
    For the lifetime map update, most probably you will need to phone CS to get it activated.
    I have seen so many pages, that none of this is making any sense. I cannot contact them as my messages have not gone though. I have not downloaded anything. I click support and there is no place to send a email
This discussion has been closed.

Who's Online77

AlterMann314
AlterMann314
Art Vandelay2
Art Vandelay2
Bembo
Bembo
DougLap
DougLap
Elchdoktor
Elchdoktor