Why are there no security features for Tomtom product?

Hey does Tomtom provide ANY updates to allow users of their Sat NAv products to input a security code to lock the device and make it a little less attractive to thieves? I can find nothing and I am shocked.  I have just purchased a Tomtom product, my very first Tomtom, and I am very impressed with the things the device can do. However, I must mark the company do for failing miserably to prove absolutely no form of security for the device. Why is there is no security provided by Tomtom for these expensive devices? Why does not Tomtom provide an update or an add on via the Tomtom website to allow users to get an update to their devices that will all them to lock the device and unlock it with a personal code. Guess what? Rival Garmin products have this feature as standard. Oops Tomtom. I can find no way to download any additional software to track the device. Such a feature should be inbuilt into these devices as standard. In this day and age there is absolutely no excuse for this oversight. Very, very poor service. No wonder Tomtom products are attractive to thieves, Tomtom does nothing to help their customers to deter thieves. Nothing to help their customers to protect the major investment in money when buying Tomtom products. It would cost Tomtom nothing to provide a locking code or tracking software, most smart phone providers and security companies provide a simple programme like this for free. Tomtom get on the case and start providing an update to allow people to lock their car navigation devices with a code, or even better an update that will only allow a thief to drive a security locked device to a programmed destination , like a police station or another address of the owners choosing. Come on Tomtom, not too hard to do is it? Think of the added value you would give to your products. This is something that should have been done 3 years ago. Looks like your company needs a little wake up call in this department. COME GET A SECURITY FEATURE UPDATE FOR A DOWNLOAD NOW.

Comments

• agentssagentss Posts: 34 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    That is a very good idea.
  • DitteDitte Posts: 7,280 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    It is indeed! :)

-Ditte
  • brownboybrownboy Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi agentss,

I am pleased that you liked the idea.

Given that your status is so much better than mine on this forum, is there any chance of you helping to make other users of this forum aware of my idea? To date. although Tomtom have acknowledged my feedback to them on the subject they have only provided me with the standard  "We welcome your comments...". response.

I am sure that if this idea was aired more widely on this forum Tomtom would get their act together. After all if you can download an anti theft programe for your laptop, like LOWJACK, why cannot Tomtom provide something similar for our devices? After all would you buy a new car without any security features on these days? No of course not, so why does Tomtom sell us products with NO security features?

The security software Lowjack helped a guy track is stolen laptop and it was central to the police being able to convict the thief for the crime, because it tracked the location of the stolen product.  Okay maybe Tomtom do not have to produce a download so sophisticated but a least download that allows you to lock your device would be better than nothing.

Any help you can provide to publicise this weakeness will benefit us all in the long run.

Kind regards

Brownboy
  • brownboybrownboy Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi Ditte,

I am pleased that you liked the idea.

Given that you are staff is there any chance of you helping to make Tomtom aware of my idea? To date. although Tomtom customer services have acknowledged my feedback to them on the subject they have only provided me with the standard  "We welcome your comments...". response.

I am sure that if this idea is aired more widely Tomtom would get their act together. After all if you can download an anti theft programe for your laptop, like LOWJACK, why cannot Tomtom provide something similar for our devices? After all would you buy a new car without any security features on these days? No of course not, so why does Tomtom sell us products with NO security features?

The security software Lowjack helped a guy track is stolen laptop and it was central to the police being able to convict the thief for the crime, because it tracked the location of the stolen product.  Okay maybe Tomtom do not have to produce a download so sophisticated but a least download that allows you to lock your device would be better than nothing.

Any help you can provide to publicise this weakeness will benefit us all in the long run.

Kind regards

Brownboy
    Hi brownboy,

Certainly! All the good ideas, suggestions, feedback and the like from this forum is being forwarded to the developers for consideration. :) You're not the only one that would like to see a passcode lock on the devices. Have a look in the wishlist thread at the top of this board and see what others have suggested as well :)

Thank you,
    Ditte
  • badger0-0badger0-0 Posts: 32 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    Perhaps I'm missing something here, but how does a lock deter a thief?

He isn't going to know it's locked unti he gets home and fires it up, is he?

However, if you like the idea that some scumbag won't be able to use, that's fair enough.

But it will not prevent it being stolen in the first place, so is utterly pointless, imo.
    Via live 120
    Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
    Firefox browser
    Virgin media 30Mb
    Latest everything

Very computer literate

• agentssagentss Posts: 34 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    At least the "scum bag" will not be able to turn on the device and see how to come to your house to say "hello" or something else.  They also would not be able to see a list of all the places you recently traveled and directions to your place of employment or all your family trips and favorite locations. 
  • badger0-0badger0-0 Posts: 32 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    Haha, fair point :D
    Via live 120
    Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
    Firefox browser
    Virgin media 30Mb
    Latest everything

Very computer literate

• DeanoshDeanosh Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Just been reading this thread with interest.

At the weekend I had my to tom 550 Go Live stolen from my car, this had a passcode set up when the device was turned on. I have just bought a Via 120 Live and found out that it doesn't have this feature.

I also emailed To Tom to ask if they could track the stolen device (after all a Sat Nav tells you where you are and where you want to go) and they told me that none of there products offered this kind of service which in this day and age I feel is very strange. 

I have just paid £150.,00 for a new Tom Tom, maybe the answer is here, Tom Tom don't mind if our Sat Navs get stolen because it then gives them the opportunity to sell another one to us!!!
  • dav1dcarterdav1dcarter Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Why are there no security features provided by Tomtom?

I do not belive this can possibly be an oversight given the amount of software that must have been used in programming my Tomtom device.

I find it difficult to think of any other electronic device I have that does not have this feature!!!!

Even Tomtom asks for a password and user name when setting up an account with them.

This should be standard practice and belive that Tomtom should be held responsible for attracting theft of these devices!!

Sort it out Tomtom!!!
  • retaskerretasker Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    Actually the older units (TomTom One 130 which we still have) has this feature.  Don't know why they dropped it but I was certainly disappointed to find it missing from teh Via1535 we bought a few months ago.
  • KBS-DKKBS-DK Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    COME GET A SECURITY FEATURE UPDATE FOR A DOWNLOAD NOW
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,488 Superusers
    Hi

This came up a while ago and one of the replies said the pass code on the earlier models was really easy to circumvent. ???

You should never put you actual address  :S  as your home location, just somewhere near.

ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'
    My very first TomTom 740 XL as I recall had a four digit pass code I was able to set to deter thieves. Now with this newer higher cost Go Live 1535 there is no availability what gives? Something so simple should be an easy FREE upgrade and seeing how the shut down screen displays an icon of a thief with a red NO circle slash would seem it was considered by left out?

Thank you,

David Stallard

Houston, Texas
  • v-gerv-ger Posts: 60 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    My 340 XL locks.  It was a bit of a circus to get it to lock, but once enabled, the feature worked.

The new devices that run on MyTomTom, like my 2535 will not lock. There isn't anything we can do about it.  I wrote Customer Support about it, and their response was -- paraphrasing -- that they'd had so many complaints about forgotten passcodes that they didn't include it in the new MyTomTom products.

I"m still incredulous about that.  Why should those who can remember a four-digit code pay for the incompetence of those who can't?  I'm not buying it.  I think they simply neglected to put the feature in, and I'm not expecting it to return.  Just one more Lost Feature, like the Compass. 

And to answer the question or idea of "how will a code prevent theft?" It doesn't.  But it denies use of your unit, and that's *vital*.

If a criminal gets your TomTom and has half a brain, they'll fire it up and look into it.  Then they'll probably pay a visit to your home.  And your kid's school.  And whoever "Grandma" is.  This is why we need passcodes!   

Bring it back, TomTom.  To Hades with those that can't remember their codes.  We shouldn't pay for their inability to use tech.  Some will say "well, make the tech easier to use" -- how about learing to use it in the first place?   I guess people can't be bothered anymore to learn New Things.
  • ZsoltZsolt Posts: 36,020 Superusers
    On the old devices it is easy-peasy to remove the code. However on the new ones it wouldn't be the case, as we have no access to the file system. However it wouldn't prevent theft. Not sure about the paying visit part. Anyone on the street can pay you a visit if they really want to. And (I am not an expert though) I don't think thieves are stalkers or so. Pretty sure they just pass it on for a few quid, on a car boot sale. Seen a video on the YouTube that some even made a machine that tries all the codes for a Garmin, and they manage to access it. A 4 digit protection it not a real challenge for some nowadays.

I could imagine a 6-8 digit code though, with numbers and letters (capital and small), and after 3 tries it would do a factory reset (like a Blackberry), after 10 tries it would erase the NAND completely. That would be protection :)
  • TabbTabb Posts: 28 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    "
    I could imagine a 6-8 digit code though, with numbers and letters (capital and small), and after 3 tries it would do a factory reset (like a Blackberry), after 10 tries it would erase the NAND completely. That would be protection :D"

This ..... excellent suggestion.

Whilst you won't get the device back at least it would give some satisfaction to know that the device is useless to the thief, plus if a thief know this is what happens to a Tomtom device he might just pass...
  • swiftyupserswiftyupser Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    The same happened here. I always place my TomTom under my seat when not in use, and always lock my car. Needless to say I went out to my car to retrieve something and forgot to lock it back up. I don't always use my TomTom so it took me a couple of days to figure it out. I e-mailed TomTom with the serial number and device code but received no reply. I did get a survey e-mail to ask how TomTom did in answering my question. That situation did effect my next purchase though. I bought a Garmin 7" screen with live traffic. I have two other TomToms in my house hold, love the product,  but short of spay painting the back of them bright orange so maybe I can spot it going down the road I will have to say product support at TomTom sucks. I prefer TomTom over Garmin but when I invest a lot of money in the top of the line GPS and have no support then the choice is easy
  • swiftyupserswiftyupser Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    I agree, on the odd occaision that random person walks by and notice an unlocked car and takes a gps you will still be out a gps. The majority of times someone who breaks into your car has done it before to multiple people. Once the thief realizes the TomTom is usless it and you car is will be safe, that why I Garmin after my top of the line TomTom was stolen
    They will take your GPS either way, once smashed your window...they don't know if you have a code on it or not. Do you think those thieves are so sophisticated that they either have the knowledge or user manuals on them for all the devices to find out there is a code or not? They nick it either way. Don't leave it anywhere, where they can spot it.
  • krhvacrtec69krhvacrtec69 Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    i quite agree with u on this i am on my third device as the other two were both stolen. But look at it the other way, every device that is lost means more money for TomTom. its the only reason that i can think of. 

U read everyday how many of Apple's devices are found because of a simple app that allows u to lock,erase and track the device.So whats up TomTom?
  • dav1dcarterdav1dcarter Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I phoned TomTom ages ago and was given the pathetic excuse that it was an oversight by their technicians.

I don't think so. Not with all the software involved with setting up a SATNAV device!!!!

Have they not heard of PIN's.

Oh yesthat reminds me, I have to have a passworrd to access this site!!!

TOMTOM will not do anything about this as it increases their sales when these are stolen.

The only way this will happen is for us users to buy alternatives and the car manufacturers who are now installing their devices to insist they have this feature.

Maybe insurance companies ought to claim the monies back from claim damage when thieves break into our vehicles to steal these devices!!

What do you think?
    Because if it had a PIN and yours getting stolen then you don't buy another to increase the sales...makes sense...not.
    swiftyupser wrote:

The same happened here. I always place my TomTom under my seat when not in use, and always lock my car. Needless to say I went out to my car to retrieve something and forgot to lock it back up. I don't always use my TomTom so it took me a couple of days to figure it out. I e-mailed TomTom with the serial number and device code but received no reply. I did get a survey e-mail to ask how TomTom did in answering my question. That situation did effect my next purchase though. I bought a Garmin 7" screen with live traffic. I have two other TomToms in my house hold, love the product,  but short of spay painting the back of them bright orange so maybe I can spot it going down the road I will have to say product support at TomTom sucks. I prefer TomTom over Garmin but when I invest a lot of money in the top of the line GPS and have no support then the choice is easy
    Hi Swifty,

Check your spam mail from the 25th of January, that's when support sent you a reply to your case :)

All the best,

Ditte
  • papamccpapamcc Posts: 36 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Wouldn't "set owner" provide most of what you ask???? A stolen TT would not be usable by the thief. True it would not provide a way to trace a stolen TT. TT would need to maintain serial numbers and owners to be able to trace them.