GO 1000 can not be charged

I bought it last september.These days i found it couldn't be charged in my car.And no matter how long i connected it to my computer,the battery still have 0% left.I don't know why,is there anyone can help me?Thanks a lot~

Comments

• johnnysunjohnnysun Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    i am waiting online.
  • tfaratfara Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I have had the same problem with my 1000. It started Ok but within a few days it could not charge.  I took it in to the retailer who spoke to TomTom South Africa and the unit was exchanged for another (new) one. However I am having the same problem with this one to the point that it now keeps zero charge.

Would appreciate TomTom responding with some news on this issue as I am about to go back in to the supplier again but each time we lose all out favourite places, recent destinations etc etc.

Frustrated

Andrew Raft
  • andyrno1andyrno1 Posts: 253 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    if its under warranty return it asap,the battery is faulty.

if its not Amazon sell the battery for a little over £10 delivered and somebody with a set of jewellers screwdrivers and calm savy could swop it over in less than 30 minutes. I had to do mine and it still holds charge and powers up after 2 weeks of being left un-used in the car's glovebox!

if this helps please hit the kudo's button : )

Andy.
  • CookRECookRE Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I am having the same problem with my 1000 live. Used it for the first time 5 weeks ago and within 3 weeks the battery would not hold the charge.

Appears to me this maybe a design fault within the unit. Time that Tom Tom sorted it.

BC 
  • TTbetatesterTTbetatester Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Get used to it or change to another brand.

My 1000 is my third TomTom unit and among the 3, I've done the "send in and wait for replacement" dance 9 times. DEAD batteries in all. Once I even sent one in ( GO630 ) for a different repair and the replacement I received had a dead battery from the start. 

All in all, I read these forum posts and the community really seems helpful but the bottom line is that Tomtom have a nicer interface that hteir competitors but a faulty product line. And support? WOW! For the multiple repairs on my 2 first units, nice, understanding, knowledgable. 

The last 2 times, I don't know where they outsourced their support center, horrible. one of my calls had to be transferred 3 times to someone who could actually understand me and not read a cue card response sheet. 

dead battery, that's my only problem?

Now I'm 2 months out of warranty on a unit that has been previously repaired.

We have all been Tomtom beta testers for years, when will we finally see their product?

Not in the current shipping models, too bad.
  • PhilJPhilJ Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Common problem. Not only will my battery not charge; the most recent firmware update turned my 2505 into a paperweight. Although this is a known problem with defective batteries (Google "2505 Battery Problems"), don't exect much help from TomTom's customer service.  They told me politely, "There's nothing we can do for you. Your warranty expired 3 months ago."

Me: So you're saying I should buy a new Garmin?

TomTom: "No, sir. We'll offer you a $20 discount on your next $300 TomTom."

Me: Is there a way to fix it, even if I pay for repairs?

TomTom: "No, sir. There's nothing we can do to help you."

I predict a class action suit in TomTom's future.
  • dogluvrdogluvr Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    Oh, goodness, exactly the same conversation I had with a customer service supr. I'm 6 months into the warrenty and the only thing they said was send it to us and we'll send you a refurbished one. From the messages I found online the replacement ones will be dead too! Bring on the class action suit. What's sad is that I really like the device when it works.
  • roofmanroofman Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    My Go live 1000 is 18 months old and out of warranty and only works when connected to a power source, when the source is removed it shuts down only to reboot when connected again, when connected the battery level reads 92%.  support says it needs a new battery  £90  or  they will give me 20% off a new more expensive unit.  

Surely this is a defective unit to last only 18 months. Today Ive  lost the HD traffic service as well,   this must be a problem with the hardware/software in the unit.

Also thinking about it the problems seem to have  started after a download form thier site
  • wise527wise527 Posts: 6 [Neophyte Traveler]
    my go live 6 months old battery u/s.recieved different unit under warranty but no live now.it has taken 4weeks for then to return.not happy with tomtom.sure your not either..
  • brooksy65brooksy65 Posts: 5 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Hi, This appears to be a major defect that Tom Tom are unable or unwilling to fix because it would have fixed before now, this problem has been  multi listed under many headings of battery issues in this forum .I am suggesting to all who are experiencing this problem  to contact a Consumer Group in their respective countries to see if they can assist in resolving this issue.Because as individuals it seems we are unable  to get TomTom to fix battery/software problem
  • Pim1Pim1 Posts: 7 [Legendary Explorer]
    It's a major problem, and i think it is caused by the temperature of the Go 1000 or 1005. In full sunshine the TT gets very hot and lithiumbatteries can't handle that. Anyway, I bought a new battery at ebay for 10,- and replaced the defect battery for the new one. It's working fine now and the only issue is to open the case carefully, but it's just a click system.

I felt like a lobster opening a shell :) Now i put a white piece of cardboard in front of my TT to protect it from the sun.

It's crazy, but the TT works fine and hopefully for a longer time.
  • brooksy65brooksy65 Posts: 5 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Hi Pim 1,Thanks for your update on how you get your device to operate .But it appears it could be unique to you because my device doesn't  operate on battery in doors or in car unless connected to a power source and its our  winter here currently 8- 20 degrees C. will persevere,as i currently prefer the functionalty of TomTom over other makes of gps but i will look at these makes more closely in future before i purchase. Cheers  
  • bonobobonobo Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Anyone from TOMTOM care to comment on this clearly common problem?
  • eagleouteagleout Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I'm beginning to believe I made a dreadful mistake choosing a TomTom over Garmin. I've had my new 2535 on charge for two days now and its only reached 65%. It appears TT's engineering team and customer service leaves much to be desired.

Thank goodness for Amazon's return policy. Looks like it might be time for my second choice--a nüvi 2595LMT.
  • JJoyntJJoynt Posts: 6 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Hi,

I am now on my 4th GO 1005 in 18 months. The batteries fail after about 3 months of daily use.  I suggest you get it back to TT if it is still under warantee. If it is not under warrantee, junk the TT and go an buy a Garmin. There is no fix for the 1005. The three I have replaced all had the same issue. I would return them (at $40 my cost) and they just kept sending more of the same junk to me. Of the 8 GPS's I own, all of the TOM TOMs have failed and the 5 Garmins I own are all working as good as the day I bought then many years ago.  I now have $450 into a $200 TT that still does not work. 

You were lucky to get this long out of the one you got in September. 
    Garmin Street Pilot (alive and well),
    Garmin GPS V (alive and well),
    Garmin Quest (alive and well),
    Garmin GPSmap 60 Csx (alive and well),
    Navigon (returned due to impossible UI),
    TomTom GO 920T(wore out the reset button returned and got new one),
    TomTom GO 920T (Dead after 90 days),
    TomTom GO 2505 x 2 (both replaced under warranty, dead battery after 90 days),
    TomTom GO 2505 replacement has also failed and returned to store in exchange for a Garmin Nuvi 2595LMT,
    Garmin Nuvi 2595LMT,
    TomTom GO 2505 3rd replacement has now also failed after 60 days,
    It will also be returned to the store for a new Garmin Nuvi 2595LMT,
    First Garmin Nuvi 2595LMT now 90 days old and work perfectly!

Score:
    Garmin +6
    Navagon -1
    TomTom -6

Garmin wins!
  • JJoyntJJoynt Posts: 6 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Hi,

I am now on my 4th GO 1005 in 18 months. The batteries fail after about 3 months of daily use.  I suggest you get it back to TT if it is still under warranty. If it is not under warrantee, junk the TT and go an buy a Garmin. There is no fix for the 1005. The three I have replaced all had the same issue. I would return them (at $40 my cost) and they just kept sending more of the same junk to me. Of the 8 GPS's I own, all of the TOM TOMs have failed and the 5 Garmins I own are all working as good as the day I bought then many years ago.  I now have $450 into a $200 TT that still does not work. 

You were lucky to get this long out of the one you got in September. 
    Garmin Street Pilot (alive and well),
    Garmin GPS V (alive and well),
    Garmin Quest (alive and well),
    Garmin GPSmap 60 Csx (alive and well),
    Navigon (returned due to impossible UI),
    TomTom GO 920T(wore out the reset button returned and got new one),
    TomTom GO 920T (Dead after 90 days),
    TomTom GO 2505 x 2 (both replaced under warranty, dead battery after 90 days),
    TomTom GO 2505 replacement has also failed and returned to store in exchange for a Garmin Nuvi 2595LMT,
    Garmin Nuvi 2595LMT,
    TomTom GO 2505 3rd replacement has now also failed after 60 days,
    It will also be returned to the store for a new Garmin Nuvi 2595LMT,
    First Garmin Nuvi 2595LMT now 90 days old and work perfectly!

Score:
    Garmin +6
    Navagon -1
    TomTom -6

Garmin wins!
  • worldrangerworldranger Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    oh dear... same issue here. Guess I best order a new battery! :(