GO1000 series (and others) Battery Issue Resolved

I'm aware the title of this thread is a bit misleading as there is no magic answer, but as TomTom wanted me to send my third GO1000 to Amsterdam for repair for some reason and not the UK I thought I might have a go myself.

All my GO1000s failed due to the "battery not recharging" problem. Being fobbed off with various rubbish stories about firmware problems it was time to go public with my findings.

IF there is a firmware problem..."we have released and update that solves this issue...." (yeah...ok!), then replacing the battery would not cure the battery problem, it would just happen again, more or less straight away...yes?

So, without updating any firmware I bought a replacement (NON-TomTom) battery and fitted it.

We are 5 months down the line and there are no problems, I'm still getting a good two hours 'off-charge' usage which is what I got a week after I did the job. At this point, no firmware updates were applied.

So I suggest the problem might be that TomTom have bought crap batteries and are trying to cure the problem with fibs of firmware updates so as to avoid an international recall which is really what they should do.

If you have the battery problem, there is no magical reboot or firmware update that will cure a faulty battery. But if you want to give replacing the battery a go yourself, get one off eBay, around £12.00UKP should get you a decent pattern part. You will need a T0.6 TORX driver and strong fingernails!

Then follow the well documented instructions available here: [url=http://www.tomtomforums.com/t26379-tomtom-go-1000-how-take-apart-replace-battery.html"; target="_blank]http://www.tomtomforums.com/t26379-tomtom-go-1000-how-take-apart-replace-battery.html[/url]

I don't guarantee anything in the above, and don't run to me if you break your TomTom, but it worked for me and in another months time if its still working I will be popping the GO1000 on eBay (probably the only one on there that will be working properly!) and buying myself some other brand as I feel TomTom have had their fair share of my cash now.

I might buy another TomTom one day, but not until they can prove that they've stopped scrimping on important things like batteries and start putting their customers ahead (or at least in line with) their profits.