Is there any way I can lock the iPhone screen rotation into the landscape view? — TomTom Community

Is there any way I can lock the iPhone screen rotation into the landscape view?

jBjB Posts: 27 [Prominent Wayfarer]
Is there any way I can lock the iPhone screen rotation into the landscape view?

It seems like the G-Forces on my motorcycle trick the iPhone into thinking it's being rotated (I guess it is a little bit) and the screen rotates on me, which is distracting and annoying.

I find if I use the iPhone's built-in rotation lock, it locks it into Portrait view (up-right), and I want it locked in landscape view. I can't find an option inside the TomTom App (v1.9) to disable this.

jB

Comments

• SinnySinny Posts: 144
    Staff
    Unfortunately there is no setting in the tomtom app to lock it to stay in landscape.

It's a shame the iphone's built in lock only supports portrait? But i will pass on your suggestion as a possible improvement for a future release.

Thanks!
  • robd0ggrobd0gg Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    would like to second this request..  other GPS nav apps support this feature..  i.e. locking in landscape mode..  so the OS surely supports it
  • MonstrousMonstrous Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Any progress after *only* 4 years Mr TomTom? I had a way round this using 'Assistive Touch' and screen lock but Apple have thoughtfully removed this function whilst not addressing the Portrait lock only issue.
    Apple update is trying to push TomTom Go on me when I've already paid a premium price for a product with free lifetime map updates and I'm not about to upgrade if the product still falls so far short for motorcycle use. If I have to buy a dedicated device my inner voice is screaming Garmin right now.
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi Monstrous,

Welcome to the forum!

As the old Navigation for iPhone/iPad app is no longer developed I'm afraid Sinny's comment above is the last of this.

Please note, that as a user of the old app you can get a free 3 year Unlimited Navigation licence for the new GO Mobile app. For more about the new app, please see the following links:

How do I upgrade to Unlimited Navigation on the TomTom GO Mobile app?

GO Mobile app for iPhone and the old Navigation app

How many free kilometres can I use with the TomTom GO Mobile app?

Which features will be added in the future to the GO Mobile for iPhone app?

Reinstalling the Navigation app for iPhone

Cheers, Mikko
  • Clint989Clint989 Posts: 44 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Unfortunately, the feature you are describing would require several lines of code to implement. TomTom's current development cycles are running at around 1 month to amend an existing line of code (e.g. Changing a colour) and more than 2 months per line of new code. My back of the envelope calculation says that your lock-screen rotation option would take several months or years to implement. I expect way points to be added in Q2 2018 and saved routes to be added sometime in 2022.
This discussion has been closed.

Who's Online in this Category0