GO Classic: when the device offers only bad routes, how to correct it?

Chris_Wrong_Route
Chris_Wrong_Route Registered Users Posts: 15
Master Explorer
To test my new GO, I entered a destination not far from home and one I go to four times a week. However, instead of the most obvious, shortest, easiest route the device offers two routes that both go miles off course before returning and arriving at the destination - it turns a 2.5 mile journey into an 8 mile journey. I previously had a Start 2 (some years ago) and it passed the same test with flying colours.

Answers

• Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 7,228
    Elite Voyager
    > Settings > route planning select a type of route
    If you do the same route 4 times a week, the best thing for you is to plan the route with Mydrive and then save it to your GPS.
  • Chris_Wrong_Route
    Master Explorer
    Hello Willy875

I only used that destination because I know the best route - a simple test. Why would anyone store a regular route - they don't need SAT Nav for that, they already know it.
  • Lost_Soul
    Lost_Soul Registered Users Posts: 480
    Supreme Pioneer
    @Chris_Wrong_Route

Sometimes “local” knowledge is best - If I plan a route to a nearby village my PND will guide me down a road which “is marked as unsuitable for large vehicles” as the road narrows down to a single track road with no passing places, so I prefer to go slightly further on main roads which is ~½ mile extra.

But to transform a 2 ½ mile journey to 8 miles suggests something else is going on….. :/ I assume your device maps are fully up to date and you have tried all the different routing options?

If you are able to share details of this odd routing we may be able to offer further suggestions.
  • Chris_Wrong_Route
    Master Explorer
    Hello Lost Soul

The route is from my house @ Gower View Road Swansea SA4 4GB to the M4 Junction 47 Services.

(J47 is identified on Google Maps thus: 47 M4, Penllergaer, Pontlliw, Swansea SA4 9GR)

Device is fully up to date and two routes were offered, the 8 mile route being the best of the two =)

• Lost_Soul
    Supreme Pioneer
    @Chris_Wrong_Route

Using the 2 post codes you supplied:

Google Maps calculates 14 minutes / 3.5 miles

Using a variety of TomTom Apps and devices I obtained routes in the range of 12-15 minutes 3.9-5 miles, the 15 minute / 5 miles route longest route was only available as an alternative……….

I can only suggest you check your PND is on the latest software and map release (v10.95) then check Settings – Route Planning that the following options are selected

-When a faster route is available: “Always take the fastest route”

-Always plan this type of route: “Fastest route” - the route which takes the least time.

If your device is still calculating odd routes, you could try a Drum Roll Reset then a factory reset failing which I suggest you report this to Customer Services for further investigation.
  • Chris_Wrong_Route
    Master Explorer
    Lost_Soul wrote: »
    @Chris_Wrong_Route

Using the 2 post codes you supplied:

Google Maps calculates 14 minutes / 3.5 miles

Using a variety of TomTom Apps and devices I obtained routes in the range of 12-15 minutes 3.9-5 miles, the 15 minute / 5 miles route longest route was only available as an alternative……….

I can only suggest you check your PND is on the latest software and map release (v10.95) then check Settings – Route Planning that the following options are selected

-When a faster route is available: “Always take the fastest route”

-Always plan this type of route: “Fastest route” - the route which takes the least time.

If your device is still calculating odd routes, you could try a Drum Roll Reset then a factory reset failing which I suggest you report this to Customer Services for further investigation.

I Reset to factory, downloaded all updates, same issue if Fastest, Shortest or eco-friendly route is set. Walking and Bicycle are correct!

Given that I did not have this issue with the old Start2, nor with the Ohrex that the Classic was bought to replace, I'm minded to just ditch TomTom and try Garmin.
  • Chris_Wrong_Route
    Master Explorer
    Would you believe it - go to the website (PC, Chrome latest release) click on returns - a form pops-up for just a couple of seconds and then the discussion page replaces it before anyone could enter anything! Going to try FireFox. Really not impressed TomTom!
  • Chris_Wrong_Route
    Master Explorer
    Well, on Firefox, same issue - click 'Returns', form pops up for just 2 seconds and then vanishes.
  • Chris_Wrong_Route
    Master Explorer
    Same if I try to click the Support link - just brings me back to Discussions - can somebody post the URL for support please?
  • Chris_Wrong_Route
    Master Explorer
    ..and same in Opera - click on Returns, form pops up, then disappears. Web site seems to have more issues than the Sat Nav :s
  • Chris_Wrong_Route
    Master Explorer
    Hello MyNameAlreadyExists

Yes I know - why is it so difficult for TomTom? It's a really straight-forward simple A to B request and it fails. I don't want to rely on it for long journeys if it can't do the simplest, shortest correctly.
  • Lost_Soul
    Supreme Pioneer
    @Chris_Wrong_Route

I have similar issues when trying to contact support - I find opening up a new "Private / Incognito" window (using Google Chrome) usually works. ;)
  • Chris_Wrong_Route
    Master Explorer
    Thanks Lost_Soul, I will try that. The panel below each answer in the discussion also does not work for me - it pops up:

"Permission Problem
    You don't have permission to do that."

• MyNameAllreadyExists
    MyNameAllreadyExists Registered Users Posts: 148
    Exalted Navigator
    edited September 26

Yes I know - why is it so difficult for TomTom? It's a really straight-forward simple A to B request and it fails. I don't want to rely on it for long journeys if it can't do the simplest, shortest correctly.

Hi Chris, have you tried just using the postcode from HOME and to postcode?
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan UKPosts: 21,331
     Superuser
    edited September 26
    Hi
    @Chris_Wrong_Route
    If your house in Gower View Road is North of junction with Grenfell Avenue....
    My GO Premium plans a Route North up the Gower View Road and the route is identical to the route planned with Google Maps....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • Chris_Wrong_Route
    Master Explorer

Hi Chris, have you tried just using the postcode from HOME and to postcode?

Hi YamFazMan - yes, that proved to be essential -tried sooo many combinations before the device actually found M4 J47 with the postcode for the Services.
  • Chris_Wrong_Route
    Master Explorer
    Sorry MyNameAlreadyExits, got the names mixed up! Been a hectic day.

• Chris_Wrong_Route
    Master Explorer
    YamFazMan wrote: »
    Hi
    @Chris_Wrong_Route
    If your house in Gower View Road is North of Grenfell Avenue....
    My GO Premium plans a Route North up the Gower View Road and the route is identical to the route planned with Google Maps....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM

Hi @YamFazMan

Originally gave me two routes, both bad. Now only gives one, as below. The other route was good until it got to the roundabout of J47. Then it went off at the 1st exit, all the way to the next Junction, then back again!

In 'Walking' mode, the route is correct.

Car
    fhfr9x27zdf2.jpg

Walking
    0x3l133v96tc.jpg

• YamFazMan
     Superuser
    edited September 30
    Hi
    @Chris_Wrong_Route
    Tomtom GO Premium....
    Route... Gower View Road (North of junction with Grenfell Avenue) --> M4 Junction 47 Services....
    Start....
    8empcaniicnz.jpg
    The route is the same as offered by Google Maps….
    ds7wzb5t99e0.jpg
    Destination....
    ogg8bfij3kh0.jpg
    Check...
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Setting --> Route planning
    I use...
    Option... (1) When a faster route becomes available... I use... Ask me so I can choose
    Option... (2) Always plan this type of route... I use... Fastest route
    Note... I never use the 'Most eco-friendly route' option... In the past it has generated some really weird routes....
    Option... (3) AVOID on every route... I use... 'Toll roads' ON, 'Ferries/Car shuttle trains' ON, 'Unpaved roads' ON... The other options are set to OFF....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • Chris_Wrong_Route
    Master Explorer
    I have those exact settings YamFazMan :#

• Chris_Wrong_Route
    Master Explorer
    Hi YamFazMan

Route....

...how did you get those screenshots? Is there a screenshot facility in the SatNav software?
  • YamFazMan
     Superuser
    edited September 28
    Hi
    @Chris_Wrong_Route
    Sorry a feature like that is not available....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM