I no longer get Speed Camera Warnings on my Tom Tom Start 60 why?

JulieW
JulieW Registered Users Posts: 4
New Seeker
Hi just wondering if anyone can help, I have a Tom Tom Start 60 with Lifetime Maps and Camera(?) Updates. But for the last 12 months or so I no longer get any warnings when I pass a Speed Camera, it's like it's been switched off somewhere in the device, and I'm wondering why?
I've gone into setting, checked the sounds and alerts and everything seems to be as it should be.
I've logged in now to do an update, and 2 are available; Maps and QuickGPSfix....no Cameras.
I've had issues before where my lifetime maps updates were switched off and I was told I'd have to pay, which was resolved by contacting Tom Tom by phone to provide a resolution, and my 'lifetime' map updates were switched back on again.
Can someone help please, I'm a Community Nurse and Camera Alerts are a great help when getting around new places.
Has my 'Lifetime' updates expired, or is there a problem with my account with regard to what it is that I am now assessed to receive regarding updates?
Any help given would be appreciated, thank you.
Tagged:

Answers

• Lochfrass
    Lochfrass Posts: 18,906
     Superuser
    The Start 60 has only free lifetime Maps and only a free trial period cameras.
    You need a speedcam subscription for your device.
  • JulieW
    New Seeker
    Lochfrass wrote: »
    The Start 60 has only free lifetime Maps and only a free trial period cameras.

I understand what you're saying, but if as you're saying my camera notifications were only a trial period, then it lasted longer than any trial period I've ever known before, as they were active and notifying me for a good 6 or so years.
    So I'm afraid I'd have to disagree with you here about it only being available as a trial.
  • Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 7,098
    Elite Voyager
    The functionality of TomTom models has changed, speed camera services are linked to a subscription. When a speed camera subscription expires, the TomTom device stops issuing alerts.
  • JulieW
    New Seeker
    So what you're saying is a 'lifetime' subscription expires for camera alerts, while the 'lifetime' subscription for maps continues?
    One 'lifetime' subscription not being equal to the other?
    Sorry, that still doesn't answer it for me.
    I'm thinking this is more Tom Tom deactivating certain features as a means to 'encourage' users to go out and spend more money on a newer device possibly?
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 10,114
    Superuser
    edited September 22
    Hi @JulieW

Look back here later to see what @VikramK has to say re your unit and lifetime cameras.

For clarity re Lifetime etc be aware of the following.

If your unit does not have Lifetime cameras then whenever the initial trial or any subsequent subscriptions paid for the service then the unit used to still indicate Cameras but the unit did not receive Camera Updates. Recently TT changed the rules such that if a trial or subscription expired then Cameras were no longer displayed.

Doug

• Willy875
    Elite Voyager
    @JulieW

Normally the Start 60 does not have lifetime camera alerts.
    Did you keep the box saying camera alerts are lifetime?
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan UKPosts: 21,315
     Superuser
    edited September 22
    Hi
    @JulieW
    You were probably still using the out-of-date/obsolete speed cam database from the initial 'x' Months free trial from whenever you purchased the device...
    Now If your subscription has expired you will NOT get any Speed cam warning on the device (Even the old database is still installed on the device)
    But you didn't pay for a subscription back then, I suppose your free trial has turned into long lasting freebie ???

There has been a change in the Speed cam subscriptions you MUST have a current subscription to receive Speed Cam Warning....
    Also, when you subscribe the Tomtom subscriptions now 'Auto Renew' by default....

See T&C's 4.2 Subscriptions, renewals and Free Trials...
    Here... https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/legal/terms-and-conditions/#4YourAccountandyoursubscriptions

Tomtom Speed Cam FAQ….
    See... https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360015806999

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • VikramK
    VikramK Administrators Posts: 14,518
    Hi @JulieW,
    It's a Start 60 3rd generation device. These products were sold with free map updates and one time speed camera update.

As per the new guidelines, the speed camera alerts will work when there is an active subscription on the account.

Regards,
    Vikram.

• JulieW
    New Seeker
    VikramK wrote: »
    Hi @JulieW,
    It's a Start 60 3rd generation device. These products were sold with free map updates and one time speed camera update.

Hi, and many thanks to you and to everyone else for getting back to me.
    VikramK, I can understand what you're saying and I'm not trying to be argumentative here so please bear with me.
    You say the device was sold with a one-time speed camera update, but I was updating my cameras for I would guess around 6 or 7 years from when I first had my SatNav.
    When I did an update, there were usually 3 separate updates, one of which was for cameras.
    YamFazMan above talks about an original database and me having a long 'freebie', this definitely wasn't the case.
    Over the years I've been using my device, roads changed, and new ones were built, and cameras were placed on these roads, which my Tom Tom Device recognised and warned me about (because of the continual updates). Ergo, I definitely wasn't using a database from an earlier installation.
    So, what I had was definitely not a one-time update.
    I remember at the time my camera updates and warnings stopped, other people were posting on here about it, and that messages were coming back that it was a problem which had been sorted, which is why I left it.
    Are you seriously saying that my camera updates over those 6 to 7 years were an oversight and that I only received updates for all those years because of an error somewhere on your part?
    I've mentioned in a previous post about the time that you stopped my map updates and I had to contact Tom Tom and talk on the phone to get them restarted again.
    I'm more inclined to think a mistake has been made here again and this is why I'm not receiving my updates for cameras.

• Willy875
    Elite Voyager
    edited September 22
    JulieW wrote: »
    Are you seriously saying that my camera updates over those 6 to 7 years were an oversight and that I only received updates for all those years because of an error somewhere on your part?

that's exactly what happened

a cartographic update to erase all the radars installed on your GPS

Since the beginning of 2021, the functionalities of Tomtom models have changed, speed camera services are linked to a subscription. When a speed camera subscription expires, the Tomtom device stops issuing alerts.
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan UKPosts: 21,315
     Superuser
    edited September 22
    Hi
    @JulieW
    Here's my old Start 60 connected to MyDrive Connect....
    p4adb9y6jvkd.jpg
    Stay Safe ATB YFM