Can we expect an improvement on TomTom's ability to circumnavigate dense traffic?

DriverDavid
DriverDavid Registered Users Posts: 2
Apprentice Seeker
The last years I see a deterioration in the ability of TomTom to (re)calculate the fastest route. Last week I drove from Amsterdam towards Zwolle, ETA 18:44. Knowing TomTom's (dis)ability sometimes, I deleted the actual route and entered my destination again, resulting in still the same ETA of 18:44. Then I selected the traffic jam causing the biggest delay: then I selected 'avoid' and all of a sudden a new route was calculated with an ETA of 18:38. Why didn't select TomTom this fastest route by itself? Can we expect an improvement on this in the near future?

Answers

• DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 10,114
    Superuser
    edited September 5
    Hi @DriverDavid

Let me give you an example I experienced.

Started a 21/2 hour journey and after about 30 minutes my TT unit, now I was within the Traffic Data area, advised me of a 30 minutes delay which I realised was near the end of my journey. It continued to advise me of the delay until I was about 15 minutes from where the delay started when it then suggested a quicker route. So for over an hour it was continuing along the route that included the delay until it had identified the delay had not reduced or disappeared before it got to it and the faster route then was worthwhile.

Now had I done as you and told it to avoid the delay as soon as it was apparent then without a doubt it would have changed to the faster route it ultimately advised.

Now consider that if I had done as you did I would hope and expect that if the original delay had disappeared I would be expecting the TT to advise the fastest route is now the original way.

Doug
  • DriverDavid
    DriverDavid Registered Users Posts: 2
    Apprentice Seeker
    Same issue as I had. Problem is that TT apparently is not calculating the fastest route as it should.

Another thing is that in one of the previous TT-versions I received several alerts during a drive that a faster route was available. This was done well ahead of the traffic jam, resulting in new alerts when the traffic jam was over and the first original route became the quickest again. That is the disadvantage of early alerts. Quicker routes are now also displayed with a green symbol, but sometimes remain unnoticed. The aural alert sounds only shortly before the exit to be taken is passed. Maybe this can be adjusted as well?
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 10,114
    Superuser
    edited September 5
    Hi @DriverDavid

My TT unit did calculate what it thought was the fastest route initially as the delay was beyond the area for which it received Traffic Data which is circa 50 miles or so. Once it became aware of the delay then it waits until it is near the delay and what appears to be the best alternative route. In my case the faster route it suggested was exactly the one I would have taken if I did not have the TT unit with me and I knew about the delay.

Doug