TomTom GO Discover and some oddities

habbe
habbe Registered Users Posts: 91
Outstanding Wayfarer
edited September 1 in Devices using Wi-Fi®
Hi,

Just bought new TomTom device, GO Discover 6. I have find couple of strange things in that:
  1. The color of instructions panel is green (like indicating you would be driving in motorways). In most of the pictures from this same device in the internet (and also in official manual) that instruction panel is blue if not driving in motorways. What could cause this behaviour?
  2. I can't save my current location nor report incorrect speed limit. That worked fine in GO5100 while pressing the indicator of my current location. Now it only shows "Report camera and avoid road block". I find from other discussion in this forum that you should still be able to do those previous tasks if you'll just press that location indicator for couple of seconds. But no, it didn't help.

Then other question: is it really so that there's no more "shortcut" to toggle between day and night mode? In GO5100 there were that "moon" icon next to volume settings.

I have the firmware version 22.102.0007 (prod-key) (19.4.2022) which should be the latest.

Br,
Janne

Answers

• habbe
    Outstanding Wayfarer
    How about you others than have that same firmware version. Is yours instructions panel blue or green? Based on this getting started manual, it should be blue:

https://help.tomtom.com/hc/fi/articles/360018204260-GO-Discoverin-käytön-aloittaminen

I also attached couple of photos. I haven't seen anywhere else such green instructions panel...

Br,
    Janne
  • Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 7,228
    Elite Voyager
    It seems to me that in some countries like Italy the sign is green.
  • habbe
    Outstanding Wayfarer
    Willy875 wrote: »
    It seems to me that in some countries like Italy the sign is green.

Do you however have some countries where that sign is blue? I tested with several countries using route preview and instructions panel was always green :/ I'll open a support ticket about this problem, shouldn't be like this.
  • Lochfrass
    Lochfrass Posts: 18,954
     Superuser
    Here in Germany on my device it is blue.
    Do you live in europe?

Do save a current place, you must zoom in the map and tap on the road near yur current place.
    Then you can save it via the context menu.
  • habbe
    Outstanding Wayfarer
    Lochfrass wrote: »
    Here in Germany on my device it is blue.
    Do you live in europe?

Yes, in Finland. Sorry I didn't mention that in my original post. Currently I don't have map of Germany installed. I'll install it and test with it.

Lochfrass wrote: »
    Do save a current place, you must zoom in the map and tap on the road near yur current place.
    Then you can save it via the context menu.

Yes, I know that method. Unfortunately it's not so accurate like using "save my location" earlier. That first method will be accurate enough to guide you back to your original location, but if you want to mark some specific places eg. to report them via mapshare later, they should be as accurate as possible. And while driving you can't start to zoom map and try to hit current location. Or something close to it. There should be an easy way to save your current location. Also while driving.

Based on this discussion:
    https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1142606/go-discover-6-dont-get-option-to-save-current-location-to-my-places

It should work by pressing that location indicator longer. But it won't. Maybe some TT employee could verify, should it work or not.

• habbe
    Outstanding Wayfarer
    I just tested with Germany map. Indeed, the color of instructions panel is blue - also in my device. However, it didn't change to green when you drive in autobahn. It was still blue. So it seems it won't follow the road type (green in highways and blue in other ways). It's either blue or green (based somehow to country where you'll drive). That's a bit of shame because by changing the color based on road type it would be much more cleared (imho).
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan UKPosts: 21,332
     Superuser
    edited September 3
    Hi
    @habbe
    habbe wrote: »
    (Snip) Yes, I know that method. Unfortunately, it's not so accurate like using "save my location" earlier. That first method will be accurate enough to guide you back to your original location, but if you want to mark some specific places eg. to report them via mapshare later, they should be as accurate as possible. And while driving you can't start to zoom map and try to hit current location. Or something close to it. There should be an easy way to save your current location. Also while driving (Snip)
    To use the 'Save your current location to MyPlaces'
    Using the new GO Discover & GO Expert etc range... A'Long Tap' (Tap and hold for +1 second) works on a 3D Driving view, a 2D North-up Planning Map view, with or without a route planned....

Save your current location to MyPlaces using the North-up Overview Planning Map and the Driving Map view (The view chosen in the Setting menus) i.e... 2D (In direction of travel) or 3D
    Tap the direction of Travel Icon to switch to the North-up Overview Planning Map...
    b1gwrz315igh.jpg
    Pinch-Zoom the map screen for more detail/accuracy
    'Long Tap' (Tap and hold for +1 second) on the/your Present Location Cursor/Chevron --> A quick menu opens --> Tap the 3Dot icon --> Tap Add to MyPlaces
    Accept or Edit the name --> Tap 'Add'

Note...[1] A 'Quick Tap' and 'Long Tap' of the screen gives different menu options
    Note...[2] To add a Location that's not your present location... You can 'Long tap' anywhere on the Map Screen to add the location to MyPlaces

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • habbe
    Outstanding Wayfarer
    YamFazMan wrote: »
    Hi
    To use the 'Save your current location to MyPlaces'
    Using the new GO Discover & GO Expert etc range... A'Long Tap' (Tap and hold for +1 second) works on a 3D Driving view, a 2D North-up Planning Map view, with or without a route planned....

Indeed, that works. Thank you! I'm however wondering, why TT decided to remove that option to save current location directly from that 3D routing view without need to first change to North-up Overview Planning Map and then zoom for more accurate result. It will disturb your driving much more than earlier.

But it seems TT tries to "hide" some options while driving. This is one example and the other one is settings. Earlier they were easy accessible directly via 3 dotted icon, now you need to open them clicking first that 3 dotted icon, then browsing to bottom and only from there you can access those settings. Needs much more concentration than earlier.

I also eager to know, am I the only one who don't like that instructions panel is either totally green or totally blue. Not following the road type (motorways vs other roads). Or then it should be grey or some totally different colour. Now when checking instructions and you see green panel, you think, ok, we're driving in/to motorways. Quite strange decision from TomTom.