Almost bricked Rider 550 after map update

TTcustsupisbaaaaad
TTcustsupisbaaaaad Registered Users Posts: 5
Apprentice Seeker
Looks like I'm the latest person to complain about tomtom customer service & how nothing has been able to fix my problem thus far then. So be it. I just want my tomtom rider 550 working again, before I decided to map update it and the subsequent problems thereafter, nothing wrong with my internet connection either. I am unable to get past the loading splash screen, after the tomtom drum jingle it goes to an image of a map with tomtom brandname over top, loading bar at bottom of screen, this gets to about 99% then hangs up. Nothing. OK, reset, this time to screen with all data about the unit on it, 3 clicks then USB cable in to restore unit. Doesn't work. USB keeps turning itself on / off in a continous loop, not allowing anything to happen in regards to restoring the unit. I have tried using various computers / laptops and differing USB cables and the same thing happens regardless. I keep contacting customer service about this & even though I tell them every time I have done all steps, they keep then telling me the same steps I have told them I have already done. Yeah starting to get really effed off now. The tomtom rider 550 has a micro sd card slot which I have a micro sd card in it. Is there a way to reset the device via the micro sd card? I JUST WANT MY RIDER 550 working again before TOMTOMs MAP UPDATE system broke it.

Comments

• YamFazMan
    YamFazMan UKPosts: 21,316
     Superuser
    Hi
    @TTcustsupisbaaaaad
    Sounds similar.... I had this happen to me ??? I've been using various Tomtom devices for 10 + years, and never had a problem using Recovery Mode, for me, it has always just worked !!!
    The other day I was updating the Full Europe Map on my GO 5000, all seemed to go as normal but when the device restarted I had the spinning disc and the Recovery Mode screen of a PC/Red Cross & Tomtom Icon.... the device was already connected over USB + MyDrive connect... I did get the count-up MyDrive Connect 0 to 100% screen, but when the GO 5000 re-booted the device was locked into a continuous Recovery Mode loop....
    After several, restarts, I noticed the long delay at the mid-point on the start-up progress bar... Normally, there is a slight but hardly noticeable pause at the mid-point on the start-up progress bar (I Think the device is checking if a Memory card is installed ???)....

I turned off and disconnected the GO 5000 then removed the 32 GB Memory card....
    Re-Connected the device to USB and turned it on... the device started, the progress bar was normal, I had the spinning disc and the Recovery Mode screen of a PC/Red Cross/Tomtom Icon... The MyDrive Connect screen displayed the 0 to 100% count-up & the device booted-up OK onto the UK & ROI Map on the on-board Memory.....

Checked the Memory card, it reported an error... I Slow Formatted the Memory card fat32, the Go 5000 recognized & formatted the card... Then I Installed the Full Europe Map, all Good....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • TTcustsupisbaaaaad
    Apprentice Seeker
    I have ascertained that the main map I use is corrupted. My device is showing as 0 bytes free on my drive connect, I can get this info if I pull out the USB [thus stopping me from actually being able to delete maps etc, the useful stuff that would fix it] as soon as I put the USB back in it goes into circle loading of doom that does'nt let me do anything or fix anything.

I have taken the micro SD card out - did all the same things , no noticable change. I am now reformatting the card and will place that back in once it has formatted - that might solve it or not.

• Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 7,101
    Elite Voyager
    edited August 28
    Rider 550 is a wi-fi made update to wi-fi
    GPS connect to a mains charger.
  • TTcustsupisbaaaaad
    Apprentice Seeker
    edited August 27
    I'm unable to get to that as an option Willy875 - the tomtom when turned on is not allowing me to get past the splashscreen with the loading bar on the bottom of the screen.

Formatting the micro SD card has done nothing.
  • TTcustsupisbaaaaad
    Apprentice Seeker
    Ok after formatting the micro SD card and still nothing changed I can only ascertain that the Europe map I use as my main map is being loaded from the get-go, this is corrupted thus the hang up at 99%. I cannot get past this, I have tried to restore after the recovery screen [red cross, USB cable, PC / tomtom] this does not work because the USB connecting the tomtom to the pc / my drive keeps turning itself on / off. Its not the cable or the PC as I have tried a different cable / different PC / laptop combo each time also and it still does the same thing, makes the USB switch on / off thus stopping the unit from restoring itself.

tomtom sucks - the end.
  • TTcustsupisbaaaaad
    Apprentice Seeker
    Weirdly I can disconnect the USB from the tomtom unit whilst in my drive connect and it will allow me to see the contents of the unit, maps ready to download etc.

I can see from this that the unit was in the middle of downloading the new Europe map and that the old one is corrupted [it actually says corrupted on the screen] but because the USB cable is disconnected I am unable to utilise any functions such as delete old map / uninstall etc etc because as soon as I do put the USB cable back in the unit it stops showing me this information and goes to the spinny wheel of nothingness.

There has to be a way to bypass all this and I bet tomtom will try and charge me 105euros to fix the problem they created.