Still after months wrestling with this useless interface.

scsiAlan
scsiAlan Registered Users Posts: 7
Apprentice Seeker
edited August 21 in RIDER
I have a .gpx file which I made using Tyre (Tyre to Navigate 8.32). saved it as (To BP Bonaire 50m.gpx) file.
Reset my 550 rider to default, removed sim card. uploaded the file via cable from my PC using the Import Routes option when first turned on with cable connected.
When I select routes to import it shows the correct name file.
After its imported I go to my routes in the menu and it shows 2 files (T-to BP 50m) and (To BP 50m).
If I check the details by choosing the route they have a small discrepancy in milage and time.
Can anyone help me just give me a hand with sorting this out.

I do not want 2 files for every route I add it gets too confusing after time. (it would also be useful if they kept the same name as I give them)
I would also love to find a way of adding my routes easily.
I do not want to use MyDrive I find it none user friendly.

Have to say if this thing hadn't cost so much it would have been in the bin months ago.
My TomTom rider 3 was so simple to add files

Going insane Alan :s

Comments

• scsiAlan
    scsiAlan Registered Users Posts: 7
    Apprentice Seeker
    Just an update to my post. I have checked the directions by zooming in on my 550 and it has not stuck to the route I made.
    There is a section that runs alongside a motorway and the route on my device has taken the motorway. (on both files ). ?????Ahhhhhhhhhh?????

How on Earth are TomTom selling these units?

As Pink Floyd once said "Is there anybody out there"?
  • fredaroony2
    fredaroony2 Registered Users Posts: 124
    Renowned Trailblazer
    Far easier to use MyDrive to upload the GPX file and sync it to the Rider
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan UKPosts: 21,336
     Superuser
    edited August 28
    Hi
    @scsiAlan
    scsiAlan wrote: »
    I have a .gpx file which I made using Tyre (Tyre to Navigate 8.32). saved it as (To BP Bonaire 50m.gpx) file.
    Reset my 550 rider to default, removed sim card. uploaded the file via cable from my PC using the Import Routes option when first turned on with cable connected.
    When I select routes to import it shows the correct name file.
    After its imported I go to my routes in the menu and it shows 2 files (T-to BP 50m) and (To BP 50m).
    If I check the details by choosing the route they have a small discrepancy in milage and time.
    Can anyone help me just give me a hand with sorting this out.
    GPS Exchange Format (WikipediA)
    See... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPS_Exchange_Format
    A .GPX file can be made-up of 3 elements...
    wpt Type (Waypoint)
    rte Type (Route)
    trk Type (Track)
    I do not want 2 files for every route I add it gets too confusing after time. (it would also be useful if they kept the same name as I give them)
    I would also love to find a way of adding my routes easily.
    The 'Tyre Route planner' is probably generating a .GPX file containing (Route) and (Track) elements....
    Tomtom devices like the Rider 4xx & 5xx devices ONLY use a .GPX (Track) file
    The Tomtom device strips out and separates the (Route) & (Track) elements of the Tyre Route planner file....
    Then saves both files and renames the (Track) file with a 'T' prefix....
    I do not want to use MyDrive I find it none user friendly (Snip)
    By MyDrive do you mean the MyDrive Smartphone App or the MyDrive Web Route planner...
    Here... https://mydrive.tomtom.com/
    Just an update to my post. I have checked the directions by zooming in on my 550 and it has not stuck to the route I made
    There is a section that runs alongside a motorway and the route on my device has taken the motorway. (On both files) (Snip)
    Tomtom & Google Maps in fact all map manufactures Maps are not exactly the same....
    A .GPX Track is made-up of hundreds of waypoints it's easy to see that the Tomtom track would auto snap onto the nearest road....

When I'm using the Tomtom MDW Route planner I always set the 'Start point' --> 'Destination' --> Then add 1st Stop --> 2nd Stop --> 3rd Stop etc etc....
    When you add Stops... Right Click the Mouse Button or type location into the 'PLAN ROUTE Menu'
    Note... Right & Left Mouse Clicks offer different menu options....

I tend to set the main Stops using the 'PLAN ROUTE Menu' then if required >> SLOWLY <<< drag the route to fine-tune/adjust the route....
    (When you drag the route, you get the small route modifier stops)

For me .GPX tracks for complex journeys are totally useless....
    I would suspect they would also be useless for most delivery drivers....
    Maybe useful (Perhaps read the complete thread) see... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1707989/#Comment_1707989

I also use the Free, slightly quirky, but very good ITN Converter/Route planner....
    ITN Converter has a huge number of Map types The Tomtom Routes Map is included, the ITN Converter also Saves/Exports a huge number of route file types
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1815434/#Comment_1815434
    ITN Converter will also export straight to....
    Tomtom Home...
    Tomtoms MyDrive Route planner
    Tomtom itinerary (.ITN)
    Tomtom POI (.Ov2)

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan UKPosts: 21,336
     Superuser
    Hi
    @scsiAlan
    As Pink Floyd once said "Is there anybody out there"?

ATB YFM