Background navigation can show a small screen overlayed to other apps like Google Maps?

TheFlyingCelt
TheFlyingCelt Registered Users Posts: 7
Apprentice Traveler
I'm having an issue with background navigation only providing voice guidance and no small screen overlay on top of other apps. Is there a way to show it? I guess not...right?

Best Answer

• lampard
    lampard Retired TomTom Employee Posts: 6,075 Retired Community Moderators and Admins
    Answer ✓
    Hi @TheFlyingCelt, Welcome to our Community! The overlay mode is not available with Go Navigation app, you use the AmiGO app which can be used in the overlay mode along with other applications.

Best, lampard

Answers

• lampard
    lampard Retired TomTom Employee Posts: 6,075 Retired Community Moderators and Admins
    Answer ✓
    Hi @TheFlyingCelt, Welcome to our Community! The overlay mode is not available with Go Navigation app, you use the AmiGO app which can be used in the overlay mode along with other applications.

Best, lampard
  • TheFlyingCelt
    Apprentice Traveler
    edited August 19
    Hi Lampard, and thank you very much for the welcoming message and your kind reply.

I'm quite confused though as it looks like the free AmiGo has some advantages over the paid TomTom Go app :/
    Is it so?

Thanks
    Massimo
  • lampard
    I'm quite confused though as it looks like the free AmiGo has some advantages over the paid TomTom Go app :/
    Is it so?
    Yes, some of the AmiGO features are missing in the GO app but offline navigation is the main separating factor between these two apps.

Best, lampard

• TheFlyingCelt
    Apprentice Traveler
    @lampard thank you
  • dezmo
    dezmo Registered Users Posts: 97
    Revered Navigator
    edited August 19
    @lampard Please do not forget to mention that the map used by Amigo and TT Go are different.
    The maps in Amigo using similar like the https://plan.tomtom.com or https://mydrive.tomtom.com/ witch is much better than the NDS maps in TT Go.
    There are lots of roads deleted from TT Go NDS type maps (or some unacceptable reason these road are not included) .
  • TheFlyingCelt
    Apprentice Traveler
    @dezmo seriously? Why that? I mean, it's a paid app...how come it's worse than a free app?
    Tonight - as I'm evaluating TomTom Go vs Sygic for 7 days - I tried to look on the apps for a pharmacy in my town that I know they moved about 1km away, and both TomTom Go and Sygic are still showing it at old site. Quite disappointing considering they moved 3 years ago!
    Anyway, I'm not sure this is the right place to discuss this, but I'm torn between buying Sygic subscription or Tom Tom Go. Any of you tested both apps and can advice me please?
    Thanks
  • dezmo
    dezmo Registered Users Posts: 97
    Revered Navigator
    @TheFlyingCelt yes I'm serious. I can't explain why the TT developers chose the new map format, and I can't explain why the coverage on the paid map is worst than in a free ...but it's a fact.

I was ( still am I ? ) a fan of TomTom since more then a decade. But, since cca 2020, both the stability and features of the software and the quality of the maps have become much worse. Unfortunately in the past more than two years they have not been able to achieve the quality of version 1.8xx.

I still prefer the UI of TT, but I also have Sygic, because Sygic still using the "old fashion" maps form TomTom, with a better coverage than TT Go itself.
    Related to POIs, I'm using Google maps. :)
  • TheFlyingCelt
    Apprentice Traveler
    @dezmo that's quite surprising and disappointing to know 🤔
    What I really like about TomTom Go (I haven't tried AmiGo yet) is how precisely it calculates the trip, always choosing the best route, which is unfortunately not so true for Sygic. I haven't tested Sygic on the road yet, but the last time I tested it a couple of years ago it was awful: whenever I left the planned route, it screamed at me to take U turns to go back where I left even though that was 30km back and destination was only 1km ahead. A terrible calculation engine and no recalculation at all. Is Sygic still so bugged? Did it ever happen to you? I haven't had a chance to properly test it on the road yet.
    What I don't really like so far about TomTom Go is: no overlaying screen showing the app for when you switch between apps, poi outdated, lack of lane guidance outside highways.
  • Marek_MkZ
    Marek_MkZ Registered Users Posts: 92
    Supreme Trailblazer
    I was using Sygic for couple of years until they've changed gui (that was when AA was introduced). Presentation of traffic incidents in Sygic is now awfull - usually it's covered by guidance line and icon informing about the reason is in the middle of incident span so one doesn't know what's goinng on. TTGo with route bar is excellent in this. Routing I think is also better but also TTGo has sometimes strange ideas (but here I think is not the problem of engine but maps rather). What is worse - it's ETA calculation for longer trips - always to optimistic. POI database is pretty the same. Line guidance is also present outside highways - just in different form - Sygic displays its animation and TTGo shows small arrows - I'd say I prefer TTGo way.. For now I'm using TTGo almost 2 years and still prefer it and I'm not going back.
  • TheFlyingCelt
    Apprentice Traveler
    edited August 24
    I eventually subscribed for 1 year to TomTom Go Navigation, as the navigation experience, the smoothness of the animation, the route planning, and much more I find them definitely superior to Sygic.
    Nevertheless, I hope TomTom will implement a picture-in-picture small window for when switching between apps, AND picture-in-picture lane guidance rather than the current arrows.