How to Locate / Retrieve Saved "My Places

Alistair_Colvin70
Alistair_Colvin70 Registered Users Posts: 10
Apprentice Seeker
edited August 17 in Devices using Wi-Fi®
I successfully transferred My Places from my previous device to my new Go Discover 7" then added several new ones c/o My DriveConnect. Some weeks later whlst not having used the device i.e. turned off, they had all disappeared. I've seen notes on the community forums that My Places are "saved" in my TomTom account but I can't find / access them anywhere so please can someone help and detail how I can resurrect them. Is it only possible by resetting the device??
Also how can I ensure this disappearing act doesn't happen again so that they are all safe??
Tagged:

Answers

• fergussion
    fergussion Registered Users Posts: 448
    Supreme Pioneer
    @Alistair_Colvin70
    Are those places saved on your account in website for mydrive?
  • Lochfrass
    Lochfrass Posts: 18,909
     Superuser
    edited August 18
    You can look into your personal MyDrive Cloud. https://mydrive.tomtom.com
    There you can see under "MyPlaces" what is stored there. If you log in in the Same accout in the device these "my placces " will be syncet if the Device has connection to the Internet via WIFi or via your smartphone.
    If you can see the Cloud icon in the Main menu the Sync is active.
    1ixpjjtay5md.png

And that shows the icon wen it can not sync
    2b5fzhzxnv4a.png

• Alistair_Colvin70
    Apprentice Seeker
    Lochfrass,
    Thanks for your response.
    Whilst I have the cloud icon on the device I can't find any link to, or indeed any mention of, MyDrive Cloud in my account. Consequently I haven't manually saved any My Places in my account in MyDrive, indeed I wasn't aware you could do so or is the saving automatic??
  • Lochfrass
     Superuser
    Hi again
    Connect your Discover only over WIFI to your router at home.
    Look in the device under Menu/Settings/MyDrive
    There you There you should see "logged in as......(Your mailadress)"
    When you go to the Main Mneu and make a short tap on the icons where you can see the WIFI,Bluetooth,MyDrive Cloud... the Quickmenu opens and you can see what is connectet

When i save a new place on the device or in the Web it syncs automaticly to the other Web/or device when the device has internet connection.
  • Alistair_Colvin70
    Apprentice Seeker
    Hi again,
    I'm aware of all that thanks, and all the connections are confirmed as connected BUT I still cannot see any link on any page of My Drive Connect on the PC to access / retrieve the 20 odd previous "My Places". I can select new places on TomTom's map on the PC and move them to the device but to recreate the "lost ones" would be a long long trial.

I've even uninstalled / re-installed MyDrive Connect to check if there is a newer updated version which may reveal a link: There was no difference.

I'm only too well aware this circular dialogue must be a pain in the **** for you, but please advise what am I missing?? I'm loathe to reset to factory settings in case I lose everything.
  • Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 7,101
    Elite Voyager
    Hi

You must log in to Mydrive https://mydrive.tomtom.com/en_gb/#mode=viewport+viewport=52.0561,-4.16896,7,0,-0+ver=3 with the same credentials as your Discover account
  • Lochfrass
     Superuser
    I successfully transferred My Places from my previous device to my new Go Discover 7"
    Can i ask how you have done that? Have you typed all your Adreeses in the discover or have you created a Poi File form your old favorites?
  • Alistair_Colvin70
    Apprentice Seeker
    Willy875,

Thanks for your response, and with apologies for not neccessarily replying in the correct manner:

By using that link - both by right clicking / opening or copying / pasting - all that happens is that the usual Tom Tom site opens with no obvious links to a saved collection of "My Places" available.

If you could please advise another workaround I'd be very grateful as something somewhere is not working
  • Alistair_Colvin70
    Apprentice Seeker
    Lochfrass,

I had my old Go 510 connected to MyDrive Connect at the same time as my new Go Discover and all the Places migrated over seamlessly, only to fall off some time later and disappear.

Despite the advise from Willy875, I'm still no further forward.

I also have no confirmation that my new Places are saved / safe in the Tom Tom "system" hence my pleas for help so my plight is twofold . . .
  • Lochfrass
     Superuser
    Ok.
    When you open the Link from Willy875 you should see (after logging in) this side
    kqzoq2w0q544.png
    There you should see all your saved places.

Did you delete the favorites in your old device?
    Not that it has synchronized afterwards and thus the favorites were deleted
  • Alistair_Colvin70
    Apprentice Seeker
    Hi again and thanks again:

Yes I've been there and seen that function but only the new, most recent (this week) Places are there, previously added are not anywhere to be seen.

After the two devices had synchronised, there were none left on the old device to delete so no.

Sometime thereafter, upon turning on the new device they were all still there, even after having "deleted" the old device from the Tom Tom system.
  • Alistair_Colvin70
    Apprentice Seeker
    This to Lochfrass, Willy875 & Fergussion:

Thanks again to all of you for your various inputs, I think I'm starting to understand the subtleties involved in my dilemna:

Whilst I was aware of "My Places" being grouped on the map page, as detailed c/o Willy875's link, I hadn't appreciated that as long as the cloud icon was showing when detailing a new "Place" the device was synchronised with the TomTom system so this is where they were "Saved".

I reluctantly have to accept that the previous "Places" are lost, though frustratingly I have no idea why.
  • Lochfrass
     Superuser
    I also have no idea why they are deletet. When they are not visible on the MyDrive Webside i think there is no chance to get them back. :s
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan UKPosts: 21,316
     Superuser
    Hi
    @Alistair_Colvin70
    Maybe useful... Many users have asked for the facility to back up their MyPlaces to a PC
    You can also create a Personal POI Category of your MyPlaces to replace the MyPlaces list, and if required show an Icon on your device or Create Multiple Personal POI Categories as required....
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1136163/many-users-have-asked-for-the-facility-to-back-up-their-myplaces-to-a-pc

Note... When you save your data from the MDW Route panner, the (Your username goes here)_MyDrive.json.gz file is saved to the 'Downloads' folder on a windows PC
    Also a 'Save' option appears in the lower left corner of the MDW Route panner....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM