GPRS 2G/3G

25riley
25riley Registered Users Posts: 16
Apprentice Traveler
1. What GPRS does TomTom use (2G, 3g ...?) and whose system (EE? O2 etc.)
2. What will happen when 2G and 3G get turned off when newer (4G etc.) come into use. Would for example a 6100 become obsolete????

Comments

• Lochfrass
    Lochfrass Posts: 18,953
     Superuser
    1.The iternal sim of the TomTom devices use the 2G Network (for Germany the Vodafone Network)
    2. For the 6100 you can only get traffic via a TMC /RDS reciver but thats not so good as TomTom services.
    Newer devices with iternal Sim like Go 5200, go Premium or go Camper can get TomTom Traffic from the Bluetooth connection of a Smartphone.

And the new devices that TomTom lounches this Year like Go Discover, Go Expert... came without Iternal Sim. They only get traffic via bluetooth connection with a Smartphone.
  • 25riley
    Apprentice Traveler
    I don't have a Smartphone so presume I must get a TT with internal SIM?
  • 25riley
    Apprentice Traveler
    6100...For the 6100 you can only get traffic via a TMC /RDS receiver.
    Does that mean I would have to buy a TMC/RDS receiver?

• Lochfrass
    Lochfrass Posts: 18,953
     Superuser
    edited August 17
    When the 2G Network is disabled in your country then Yes. Some Users in Switzerland do that.
    When i'm right only Switzerland and Australia has disabled 2G network.
    Where do you came from?
  • 25riley
    Apprentice Traveler
    UK.
    Hope all stays going here as just got 6100 against strong bidding :smile:
    Should last a long time and with no extras ever to pay will be useful. Don't get it till next week.....then learning starts. Hope to be able to talk to it, but when in my open Austin 7 (1936) it may not hear me. :astonished:

What is relevance of app version....seen several different app versions on various 6100 for sale. Is the app version updatable??
    Can anyone tell me the translation of serial numbers.....QQ = 6100. does the serial number of items increase with year...i.e.2395K00984 is newer than 1026K02175????
  • Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 7,228
    Elite Voyager
    The latest version available for GO 6100 is 21.200.0003 dated 7 12 2021
    The first two letters QQ correspond to the model of GPS
  • 25riley
    Apprentice Traveler
    Is the app updatable on different year models so latest is always installed........presumably via MyDrive connect. or is it over wifi using internal sim?
  • Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 7,228
    Elite Voyager
    On the GO 6100 the updates are done with Mydrive connect you have to wait for Tomtom to publish an update to the application which may arrive sooner or later or never because the GO 6100 is one of the old devices.
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan UKPosts: 21,331
     Superuser
    edited August 19
    Hi
    @25riley
    UK to phase out 2G and 3G by 2033
    See... https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-59583783
    TOMTOM NAVIGATION DEVICE SOFTWARE RELEASE NOTES
    See... https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360014400819-TomTom-Navigation-Device-Software-Release-Notes

Stay Safe... ATB YFM