Rider 550 dreaded blue screen. Is it dead or can it be reset?

Nat_Facker997
Nat_Facker997 Registered Users Posts: 2
New Seeker
Background:
I updated the maps earlier today over wi-fi prior to commencing my journey. The device I is connected to my bike using the standard mount which is hardwired in. It starts up automatically when the ignition switches on. I connect it to my phone via Bluetooth which also has unlimited data. In turn, I connect the 550 to my Interphone Tour headset.

Problems & Action to Resolve Them.
Whilst riding, I got no sound from the 550 although due to the route information column I could see that it was connected to my phone data. At the earliest opportunity I stopped the bike and checked the Bluetooth connections. Everything was correct.
I turned the ignition off and restarted the bike. The 550 screen then showed a message informing me that there was no power to the device before the screen switched off completely and would not restart. Upon closer examination, I could see that the screen was still actually backlit causing the screen to appear purple until tilted forward when I could see it appeared lighter, merely due to the angle of viewing the screen. In the hope of resetting it, I removed the 550 from its bracket and refitted it before then restarting the bike. Nothing happened as the screen remained the same. I rode home.

The Fault Lies With The 550.
In the full knowledge that the connections had not been disturbed recently, I suspected that the fault might not be the power supply but a fault with the 550 itself. Fortunately, I still have my Rider 400 so I tried that on the bike, using the exact same mount. It behaved perfectly as it worked first time, just like I had anticipated. I should point out that the 550 has NOT been exposed to the very hot sunlight and there is no reason that I can think of as to why this fault has occurred.
At home I initially connected the 550 to the TomTom data charging cable and connected it to a 240v source. I had expected it to return to life, in case it had insufficient charge. It did nothing whatsoever. I then tried connecting it to a computer using MyDrive, in case it would be possible to reset it or update it. MyDrive opened and showed the 550 and my other two devices but upon selecting the 550 the device failed to connect. The 550 continued to show the purple hue on its screen and nothing happened. The 550 will not switch on or off using the on/off button.
I am now waiting for the internal battery to die and the screen to fully switch off in the hope that it might restart properly afterwards. I must admit, I’m not very hopeful.

Question:
Is the 550 dead or can it be resurrected? It is only a few months old.

Best Answers

• Lochfrass
    Lochfrass Posts: 18,955
     Superuser
    Answer ✓
    You can try it it helps when you hold the Bower Button about 20-30seconds.
    When you hear the drum Sound leave the button and see what happens.
  • Nat_Facker997
    New Seeker
    Answer ✓
    Fantastic! After following your advice it sprang to life. I then attached the 550 to my bike and checked its automatic on/off operation with the ignition. It works like it should. THANK YOU!!!! 😃
  • Lochfrass
     Superuser
    Answer ✓
    Hey, nice to hear.
    It was a 50/50 cance. Glad you get the right 50 =)=)B)

Answers

• Lochfrass
     Superuser
    Answer ✓
    You can try it it helps when you hold the Bower Button about 20-30seconds.
    When you hear the drum Sound leave the button and see what happens.
  • Nat_Facker997
    New Seeker
    Answer ✓
    Fantastic! After following your advice it sprang to life. I then attached the 550 to my bike and checked its automatic on/off operation with the ignition. It works like it should. THANK YOU!!!! 😃
  • Lochfrass
     Superuser
    Answer ✓
    Hey, nice to hear.
    It was a 50/50 cance. Glad you get the right 50 =)=)B)