HELP URGENT. I can no longer update my guaranteed lifetime update Tom Tom devices

Nickmmc
Nickmmc Registered Users Posts: 2
Apprentice Seeker
edited August 24 in Devices using Wi-Fi®
Urgent can someone please help.

Both my 5100 and 6200 no longer have the update option available on them I bought them both in good faith with the Lifetime Updates. I am disabled and wheelchair bound, I have ben unable to get out for sometime and now I can again I cant as I dont have updated maps. I rely heavily upon them when I get to go out and was looking forward to some semblance of freedom after being stuck indoors. Please help. I have been round and round incircles trying to get help from Tom tom it used to be so much simpler when you could talk to someone. This is just agonising and very stressful.

Answers

• YamFazMan
    YamFazMan UKPosts: 21,336
     Superuser
    edited August 17
    Hi
    @Nickmmc
    Welcome to the site....
    Edit... 17/08/22
    Nickmmc wrote: »
    (Snip) This is on the devices themselves. These are standalone Wi-Fi satnav units.
    The GO 5100 is a NAV 4 device have >> NO << Wi-Fi connection the devices are updated (Over USB + MyDrive Connect)

The GO 6200 can be updated over Wi-Fi or (Over USB + MyDrive Connect)
    If you update the GO 6200 over USB the device is connected over (Over USB + MyDrive Connect)
    But updates are initiated on the device the same as if you are using Wi-Fi

On the rare occasions that I have problems with MyDrive connect
    I use either.....
    Option... (1) Delete MyDrive Connect using the free version of Revo Uninstaller
    OR
    Option... (2) Delete the Home3 and the Mydrive Connect Folder

Option…(1) Delete MyDrive Connect using the free version of Revo Uninstaller
    Download & install the free version of Revo Uninstaller
    Here...https://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html
    Revo first uninstalls the Program... Then scans and removes all of the left over files a normal uninstall leaves behind

Method....
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1134291/connection-problems-mydrive-connect-uninstall-mydrive-connect-using-the-revo-uninstaller

Option... (2) Delete the Home3 and the Mydrive Connect Folder
    If you have installed MyDrive Connect to the default location using Windows 10
    It's located here... C:\Users\"Your Computers Name goes here"\AppData\Local\TomTom\

If you delete the Home3 and the Mydrive Connect Folder it removes the Cache Folders & Contents, Prefs.ini, cookies.ini. Logs and Configuration.xml files and and force a reload of the Cache Data
    A new Home3 and MyDrive Connect and their contents are created fresh the next time you use MyDrive Connect
    You will have to login again, as if you had just installed MyDrive Connect

Method…..
    Step-by-step instructions for removing the 'Home3' Folder and the 'MyDrive connect' folder....
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1134289/connection-problems-mydrive-connect-delete-the-home3-mydrive-connect-folders

Here's a similar solution recently suggested by Tomtom support ....
    Click on the spoiler Icon to view the reply...
    Step by step MyDrive Connect fix from Tomtom support....
    Okay.
    I will share certain steps with you for troubleshooting and request you to perform it as it is.
    1) Close MyDrive Connect completely.
    2) Make sure there are no TomTom related processes running in task manager.
    -The Task Manager can be found by pressing the keys Ctrl+Alt+Del and then selecting Task Manager
    3) Uninstall MyDrive Connect via the Control Panel
    4) Delete the TomTom folder from the Program files.
    -Go to Start and then My Computer/Computer/This PC
    -Delete the MyDrive Connect folder from C:\Program Files and C:\Program Files (x86)
    5) Check each username profile (marked as <username> here) and make sure the TomTom folders are deleted from the following locations:
    -C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local
    -C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming
    -C:\Users\<username>\AppData\\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files
    6) Press the Windows Key + R to open the run window.
    - Type in %temp% then press OK . Delete as many files from this location as possible. Some files can not be deleted. This is normal.
    7) Restart the computer.
    8) Create a new Administrator account in Windows.
    -Create a simple username, for instance TomTom, with no spaces or special characters (like â, é, ë etc.).
    9) Log out of the current account and log in with the new administrator account.
    10) Reinstall MyDrive Connect.
    - Go to https://help.tomtom.com/hc/articles/360013959499-Installing-MyDrive-Connect
    - Download MyDrive Connect.
    -Go to the download folder, right-click on the file MyDriveConnect.exe and press run as administrator.
    11) Check the status of the program in the firewall
    11) Then connect the device to the computer and follow the update and install it. The update should go through.
    Make sure to install the update one at a time.
    Stay safe... ATB YFM
  • Nickmmc
    Nickmmc Registered Users Posts: 2
    Apprentice Seeker
    Hi,

this is on the devices themselves. These are standalone wifi satnav units.
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 10,116
    Superuser
    edited August 16
    Hi @Nickmmc

Look back here tomorrow to see what @VikramK has to say after he has checked your units settings on the TT servers and made adjustments if required.

Doug
  • VikramK
    VikramK Administrators Posts: 14,540
    Hi @Nickmmc
    Welcome to the community!
    Both your TomTom's GO 5100 (serial number ending 209) and GO 6200 (serial number ending 209)

We have activated a different map for the GO 5100 on your account. This map should get offered in smaller map regions/countries.
    Could you try few steps as below-

1. Remove the memory card and format it on a computer.
    2. Without inserting the memory card, connect the device and check for updates.
    3. Download a small map region/country that will fit easily on the internal memory.
    4. Disconnect the device and do a soft reset.
    5. Insert the memory card and format it when the device prompts.
    6. Connect the device to the computer and check for new map updates in MyDrive Connect.

On the GO 6200 I would suggest try using MyDrive Connect as an alternative for update.
    See the detailed steps in this article-
    https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1133834/updating-a-tomtom-wi-fi-device-over-usb-using-the-mydrive-connect-menu-structure#latest
    (credit to @YamFazMan)

Regards,
    Vikram.
This discussion has been closed.