Help! - My GO60 no longer recognises its SD card, on screen message says "No Maps Available".

WhiteSapphire
WhiteSapphire Registered Users Posts: 46
Sovereign Trailblazer
My GO60, about five years old, has suddenly decided not to recognise any memory card in its SD card slot.

Its map was stored on the SD card, none on internal memory. I have tried three different cards to no avail. As a desperate measure I formatted the card in my PC (FAT32) in the hope that the GO60 would recognise it and/or offer to format it, but it doesn't.

It's as if the card is not even present.

Can anyone tell me how to format a card in this device, or how to test the device to see if the slot is faulty?

I don't use Sat-Nav enough to justify replacing the device every five years! And I have noticed the constant bombardment of emails from Tom Tom pushing new devices. Is this just a coincidence, or forced obsolescence? I never had any issues with my trusty old NavMan!

If my GO60 is kaput because of a defective card slot, then yes, I'll probably replace it - with a GARMIN!!! This Tom Tom GO60 has not been the most reliable device throughout its entire life, and not a patch on the NavMan. I would expect better from Tom Tom.

Answers

• Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 7,228
    Elite Voyager
    Press the on/off button until you hear the sound of the tamtam and the device restarts.
    Then try downloading the map again by following this FAQ https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360013900620-No-maps-available-MyDrive-Connect-

Garmin also has issues with it's GPS.
  • WhiteSapphire
    WhiteSapphire Registered Users Posts: 46
    Sovereign Trailblazer
    Hmm,

That link gave me about a 1 second view of the page before disappearing back to the home page. Repeat several times. Same scenario each time. I gave up on that one.

Anyway, the story so far. I have now been able to install a smaller map, so that it can fit within the device's internal memory, not ideal, but enough to make this thing useable in the UK and West Europe (France, Holland, Germany at any rate). Following this, I was able to format a card, which shows as 14.odd Gb. Upon trying to reinstall the full European map, which I had before, My Drive Connect will download the file to my PC, but then hangs upon attempting to update the device itself.

I've never had any of this trouble before, and just to add the cherry to the cake, I no longer have any POIs available. I can live with that, but it's not ideal. Can my POIs be reacquired? Afterall, it's useful to know where to find things like hospitals, railway stations, bus stations, cash machines and banks etc. I can scarcely wait to find out what else has disappeared from the device. Can this thing be given a factory fresh software rebuild, like a SKY digibox can? - That would be handy, if it can.

It's going to take a lot for this device to redeem itself, and the clock is running, then what happens if it all goes pear shaped again when I need it most? My confidence in Tom Tom is at an all time low right now.
  • Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 7,228
    Elite Voyager
    Hmm,

That link gave me about a 1 second view of the page before disappearing back to the home page. Repeat several times. Same scenario each time. I gave up on that one.

Delete your cookies on your browser.