GO 5000 map update fail

HesterBO
HesterBO Registered Users Posts: 2
New Seeker
I have tried to update my device (GO 5000). The biggest update is for Europe maps, in total of about 8GB. The update goes until the end, and then the device and app give me the "failed update" message. My assumption is that the device memory is not enough. The device memory has 7 MB available and the inserted memory card has 30GB available.
The software gives me no option to install a Europe map on the SD-card and all options to free memory space do not succeed:
- I tried to replace the current Europe map with a smaller one, but this fails. MyDrive Connect shows the 'system is updated' message, but the device shows no activity, only the standard 'connected to your computer'-screen. I waited 3 hrs without any activity.
- I also tried to remove the current Europe map, but after the warning that I'm removing my only map nothing happens when I press 'remove'.
- I succeeded to install another (small, non Europe) map on the SD-card and could also remove this map again.
Restarting the device en re-inserting the SD-card does not change the situation. According to the device the SD-card is correctly formatted for TomTom.

How can I update my TomTom device? Please help.

Best Answers

• YamFazMan
    YamFazMan UKPosts: 21,331
     Superuser
    edited August 11 Answer ✓
    Hi
    @HesterBO
    Welcome to the site....
    Re... 8GB NAV4 Device's & Catch22...
    The early Maps fitted easily onto the GO 5000 8 GB on-board Memory, but the Map sizes increases with every update....
    The Map size now exceeds the 8GB on-board Memory size on the NAV4 devices, this is an unfortunate, but real Catch22 situation....
    The latest NAV4 Full Europe Map size is now around 9 GB....

Maybe useful...
    Updating the device using the 'MyDrive Connect' 'MY CONTENTS' tab
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1145486/8gb-nav4-devices-catch22-installing-maps

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • HesterBO
    New Seeker
    Answer ✓
    Thanks for your answer. I could free up enough memory to update the Europe map en to install a small placeholder map on the device.
    Now the Europe map is installed on my SD-card. My issues are solved now.

I could not change or remove the Europe map, because it was the active map on my device.
    The step to make the placeholder map the active map on the device is missing in the current forum information.

Answers

• YamFazMan
     Superuser
    edited August 11 Answer ✓
    Hi
    @HesterBO
    Welcome to the site....
    Re... 8GB NAV4 Device's & Catch22...
    The early Maps fitted easily onto the GO 5000 8 GB on-board Memory, but the Map sizes increases with every update....
    The Map size now exceeds the 8GB on-board Memory size on the NAV4 devices, this is an unfortunate, but real Catch22 situation....
    The latest NAV4 Full Europe Map size is now around 9 GB....

Maybe useful...
    Updating the device using the 'MyDrive Connect' 'MY CONTENTS' tab
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1145486/8gb-nav4-devices-catch22-installing-maps

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • HesterBO
    New Seeker
    Answer ✓
    Thanks for your answer. I could free up enough memory to update the Europe map en to install a small placeholder map on the device.
    Now the Europe map is installed on my SD-card. My issues are solved now.

I could not change or remove the Europe map, because it was the active map on my device.
    The step to make the placeholder map the active map on the device is missing in the current forum information.
  • YamFazMan
     Superuser
    Hi
    @HesterBO
    You're welcome, glad you're sorted :)

Stay Safe... ATB YFM