My GO Basic can't connect to my computer

TomTomShirley
TomTomShirley New Zealand Registered Users Posts: 10
Apprentice Seeker
I was wanting to download some voices. Help please as I turned the firewalls off but still having no luck. Any suggestions please

Best Answers

• big
    big Posts: 1,719
    Superuser
    Answer ✓
    @TomTomShirley The GO Basic does not use TomTom Home. Not sure which instructions you are reading but here is the manual for the GO Basic:
    https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360014362979-GO-Basic-User-Manual

I hope it helps!
  • big
    Superuser
    edited August 9 Answer ✓
    Hi again @TomTomShirley

I'm still not sure we are on the same page. You are mentioning using TomTom HOME, but the GO Basic doesn't use HOME, it uses MyDrive Connect. If you did download and install MyDrive Connect, make sure it's running, then connect your Go Basic to the computer with the USB cable which came with it. It must be connected just with the bare cable, the GO Basic cannot be in its mount.

You won't really notice if you are connected. Unlike TomTom HOME, the device won't show up on your computer. All MyDrive Connect does is make the internet available to the GO Basic in case you don't have WiFi. Everything still has to be done from the GO Basic screen. But since you say you DO have Wifi and the unit is connected to WiFi there is little reason for connecting it to your computer via USB. Also note, in the past there have been some reports that some anti-virus programs can sometimes interfere. You could try to temporarily disable your anti-virus temporarily if necessary. But again, why bother? Generally it's best to just use WiFi and forget about trying to connect via USB.
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan UKPosts: 21,316
     Superuser
    edited August 10 Answer ✓
    Hi
    @TomTomShirley
    Maybe Useful...
    Workaround for Installing Voices on a Wi-Fi connected device using the Menu structure of MyDrive Connect....

Using MyDrive Connect...
    Note... Use option (2) in the link below
    Check.... My CONTENT --> MY VOICES --> 'Add Voices to your device'... Are the Karen, James and Ken the OZ Voices available in the list to install ???
    If 'Yes'... Try reinstalling the Karen, James and Ken OZ voice using MyDrive Connect plus My Workaround.…
    As you know all the updates on a GO Wi_Fi connected devices are executed on the Menu structure on the device....
    The Workaround allows you to use the MyDrive Connect Menu structures on a Wi-Fi Connected Device....
    Tip... If you are installing the TTS Computer voices, they are larger MB sized files... The recorded voices are smaller KB sized files (The TTS voices can read out Street names, Road signs etc)
    Note... This workaround doesn't work on the latest Wi-Fi GO Discover GO Expert Models etc....

See Workaround Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1133834/updating-a-tomtom-wi-fi-device-over-usb-using-the-mydrive-connect-menu-structure.

Stay Safe... ATB YFM

Answers

• big
    Superuser
    Is your Go Basic connected to your wireless network? Once connected you should be able to add some voices -- that's usually done when connected to wiFi, not to your computer. Also note that most premium voices (such as those of celebrities or cartoon characters) are no longer sold.
  • TomTomShirley
    Apprentice Seeker
    Yes connected to WiFi but nothing on nav unit gives me option for working on internet. Voices just gives me ones it came with. Not after cartoon etc just remember had Aussie voice which was great with old tomtom
  • big
    Superuser
    Some standard voices come with the unit based upon where it is purchased but there are more available from TomTom. If they don't show when you click on "Add voice" they can be added to your account upon request. Perhaps a moderator here can do that for you.
  • Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 7,101
    Elite Voyager
    @TomTomShirley

A voice installed on an old Tomtom is not always compatible with the new GPS.
  • TomTomShirley
    Apprentice Seeker
    Willy 875 I realise that which is why I am trying to connect my GO Basic to a Windows laptop and see what is available. Without it connecting I can't even see what options are available. I will attempt to hire a laptop as I feel the firewall or antivirus is hindering me connecting
  • big
    Superuser
    @TomTomShirley Not sure I understand. From your previous post I understood your TomTom was connected to WiFi, which is the proper way to update it. Connecting to a laptop normally wouldn't solve anything.
  • TomTomShirley
    Apprentice Seeker
    @big I can connect to WiFi no problem but you cannot add voices unless you plug unit into computer and add click on TomTom home (red hands circle) and click on add voices. Then you are asked to connect your unit to your computer which I do but it constantly says device not connected.
    Something is stopping my GO Basic from connecting.
    If I knew what I would switch it off. Instructions say put usb end into computer and my Tom Tom should start straight away but it's like I haven't plugged anything in.
  • big
    Superuser
    Answer ✓
    @TomTomShirley The GO Basic does not use TomTom Home. Not sure which instructions you are reading but here is the manual for the GO Basic:
    https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360014362979-GO-Basic-User-Manual

I hope it helps!
  • TomTomShirley
    Apprentice Seeker
    @big well how can I get more voices please
  • TomTomShirley
    Apprentice Seeker
    @big page 145 is what I'm trying to do but it won't connect with the computer. I think it's not the TomToms fault it's the computer
    Thanks for everyone's help 🧡
  • big
    Superuser
    edited August 9 Answer ✓
    Hi again @TomTomShirley

I'm still not sure we are on the same page. You are mentioning using TomTom HOME, but the GO Basic doesn't use HOME, it uses MyDrive Connect. If you did download and install MyDrive Connect, make sure it's running, then connect your Go Basic to the computer with the USB cable which came with it. It must be connected just with the bare cable, the GO Basic cannot be in its mount.

You won't really notice if you are connected. Unlike TomTom HOME, the device won't show up on your computer. All MyDrive Connect does is make the internet available to the GO Basic in case you don't have WiFi. Everything still has to be done from the GO Basic screen. But since you say you DO have Wifi and the unit is connected to WiFi there is little reason for connecting it to your computer via USB. Also note, in the past there have been some reports that some anti-virus programs can sometimes interfere. You could try to temporarily disable your anti-virus temporarily if necessary. But again, why bother? Generally it's best to just use WiFi and forget about trying to connect via USB.
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan UKPosts: 21,316
     Superuser
    edited August 10 Answer ✓
    Hi
    @TomTomShirley
    Maybe Useful...
    Workaround for Installing Voices on a Wi-Fi connected device using the Menu structure of MyDrive Connect....

Using MyDrive Connect...
    Note... Use option (2) in the link below
    Check.... My CONTENT --> MY VOICES --> 'Add Voices to your device'... Are the Karen, James and Ken the OZ Voices available in the list to install ???
    If 'Yes'... Try reinstalling the Karen, James and Ken OZ voice using MyDrive Connect plus My Workaround.…
    As you know all the updates on a GO Wi_Fi connected devices are executed on the Menu structure on the device....
    The Workaround allows you to use the MyDrive Connect Menu structures on a Wi-Fi Connected Device....
    Tip... If you are installing the TTS Computer voices, they are larger MB sized files... The recorded voices are smaller KB sized files (The TTS voices can read out Street names, Road signs etc)
    Note... This workaround doesn't work on the latest Wi-Fi GO Discover GO Expert Models etc....

See Workaround Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1133834/updating-a-tomtom-wi-fi-device-over-usb-using-the-mydrive-connect-menu-structure.

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • TomTomShirley
    Apprentice Seeker
    Thank you @YamFazMan your information sounds like what I need. When I get access to a Windows laptop again I will give your suggestion a go.
    Thanks for understanding my dilemma