TomTom using a lot of smartphone battery?

Tafia
Tafia Registered Users Posts: 35
Renowned Wayfarer
edited August 8 in Devices using Wi-Fi®
Me again with the questions. :-)

I noticed yesterday that TomTom was using a lot of my phone battery. Is there any way to stop or reduce this?
My phone reported that Tom Go was used for 1 hour 29 minutes and took 27% of my phone battery. My actual driving time was about an hour; not sure when the other 29 minutes. was used.

If I turn off bluetooth on my phone to stop it talking to TomTom, what features would I lose. I don't need any phone features with TomTom; all I need are the basics, route finding, speed limit warnings, speed trap areas, traffic holdups etc.

Would turning off bluetooth still allow Tom to provide the above? I have seen some on line saying they removed the TOmTOm app from their phone due to battery drains but they were comments from a few years ago.

Thanks

Best Answers

• Lochfrass
    Lochfrass Posts: 18,955
     Superuser
    edited August 7 Answer ✓
    Maybe we should clear up the misunderstandings first.
    The Go app is a pure navigation app so you can navigate with your smartphone.
    Its an App that nothing has to do with your Go essential. Is a seperat Navigation.

But i think you mean the MyDrive app.
    It can be used to plan routes or also as a connection to your Go essential for data.
    The MyDrive App you can uninstall from your phone.
    But then you must connect your Phone via Bluetooth and enable Bluetooth tethering (if you have an Android Phone) or Personal hotspot (if you have an iPhone.
    To get Traffic informations on your essential the device must have an internetconnection via your Phone
  • Lochfrass
     Superuser
    Answer ✓
    Right.
    When you use your go essential you must only enable bluetooth and bluetooth tethering on your phone.
    Then the essential can get the Traffic info over your Smartphone without MyDrive App.
    On my Android Phone i have the App "Bluetooth Tether" so i can enable it with one Tap. When i not use my Sat Nav i disable Bluetooth and all is fine.
  • Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 7,235
    Elite Voyager
    Answer ✓
    Mydrive is an application that allows you to plan a route from your smartphone or from your tablet, so you don't need a computer.

Answers

• Lochfrass
     Superuser
    Which TomTom App do you mean?
    The TomTom MyDrive App or the TomTom Go Navigation App?
    Or TomTom Amigo App?
  • Tafia
    Renowned Wayfarer
    Phone icon says TomTom Go.

Cheers
  • Willy875
    Elite Voyager
    Tell you about your GO Essential which is connected via Bluetooth to receive Tomtom traffic? if you disconnect Bluetooth you will no longer receive traffic information.
  • Tafia
    Renowned Wayfarer
    Is it OK to remove the TomTom GO app from my phone and just use bluetooth to connect? Will I still get all the other traffic features? Will I just lose the phone facility such as texts etc which I don't need?
  • Lochfrass
     Superuser
    Ok.
    The Go navigation 2t54lgsxopqm.png
    does not need a bluetooth connection. Only the GPS Fix and an online connection for traffic

Some Users report that the myDrive App uses much battery. The MyDrive App can used for connection to go essential.
    Thatswhy i'm asking wich App you mean.
  • Tafia
    Renowned Wayfarer
    Apologies but I don't understand that.

It seems it's the TomTom Go app which is using the phone battery capacity. When you say an on-line connection do you mean via my phone data connection?

If I remove the Go app and just connect via bluetooth will I still get all the information I need but no phone text or speech messsages? Would that save the battery?

Thanks for your patience.
  • Willy875
    Elite Voyager
    You don't need the Tomtom Go app on your phone to receive Tomtom traffic via Bluetooth on your GPS.
  • Lochfrass
     Superuser
    edited August 7 Answer ✓
    Maybe we should clear up the misunderstandings first.
    The Go app is a pure navigation app so you can navigate with your smartphone.
    Its an App that nothing has to do with your Go essential. Is a seperat Navigation.

But i think you mean the MyDrive app.
    It can be used to plan routes or also as a connection to your Go essential for data.
    The MyDrive App you can uninstall from your phone.
    But then you must connect your Phone via Bluetooth and enable Bluetooth tethering (if you have an Android Phone) or Personal hotspot (if you have an iPhone.
    To get Traffic informations on your essential the device must have an internetconnection via your Phone
  • Tafia
    Renowned Wayfarer
    Again, thanks for your patience. I don't have the My Drive app on my phone. The only TomTom app on my phone that is using the battery so much is the TomTom Go Navigation app.

So if I now understand correctly, the TomTom will operate as a basic satnav without the Go Navigation app and it can be removed. I can then connect my phone to TomTom via bluetooth and receive all traffic, directions, speed camera points and overspeed warnings and that will take far less battery power but still provide an internet connection and data via my phone. That correct?

Thanks again
  • Lochfrass
     Superuser
    Yepp, thats correct.
  • Tafia
    Renowned Wayfarer
    I have just looked again at the installation instructions and on page 9 it tells me to install the TomTom My Drive app on my phone. Seems I didn't need it and also installed the Go Navigation by mistake.

Have I finally grasped the solution? Sorry for being a bit dumb. :-(
  • Willy875
    Elite Voyager
    What you are asked to install is Mydrive, the application is free. https://mydrive.tomtom.com/en_gb/#mode=viewport+viewport=49.31439,1.97768,5.38,0,-0+ver=3
  • Lochfrass
     Superuser
    Delete the pairing on the Phone and on the Satnav.
    Then make the Pairing fro the device.
    When you should scan the qr code let the Phone search for Bluetooth devices.
    The phone should now see your satnav and allows you to connect.

When i'm back home later i cam post some more info.
  • Tafia
    Renowned Wayfarer
    Many thanks. So I don't need the MyDrive app after all..
  • Lochfrass
     Superuser
    Answer ✓
    Right.
    When you use your go essential you must only enable bluetooth and bluetooth tethering on your phone.
    Then the essential can get the Traffic info over your Smartphone without MyDrive App.
    On my Android Phone i have the App "Bluetooth Tether" so i can enable it with one Tap. When i not use my Sat Nav i disable Bluetooth and all is fine.
  • Tafia
    Renowned Wayfarer
    I have now found I do have the MyDrive app on my phone after all. In my apps list I was looking under apps beginning with T and only found the Go app. I have been opening the TomTom Go app in error.

I see the My drive app has only used 5% of the battery (perhaps because I didn't open it) whilst the GO app has used 34%.

If I don't open either then the TomTom can just use bluetooth as you suggest,

I'll follow your suggestion and just leave the My Drive and the Go apps sitting there unopened. I don't want to mess anything up as I have a longish trip coming up. If all is well I'll delete both.

Thanks to all who replied. It's really helpful and much appreciated.

• Willy875
    Elite Voyager
    Answer ✓
    Mydrive is an application that allows you to plan a route from your smartphone or from your tablet, so you don't need a computer.
  • Tafia
    Renowned Wayfarer
    So, as you say I don't need MyDrive or TomTom Go on my phone as long as bluetooth is activated, which it is at present.

Thanks for all your kind assistance.

Great forum. I'd be lost without it.

Stay safe, stay free.