Small map for START 25 (stuck in update loop)

WiseOwl9000
WiseOwl9000 Registered Users Posts: 5
Apprentice Seeker
Hi,

Could I please have a small map for Start 25 (also noted as VIA 1500) for Australia added to my account?

I am stuck in the update loop. I've bought an SDHC card but I can't get to the menu to format it so I believe I need a small map to install so I can format the card then install the latest map.

Many thanks for your help.

Answers

• YamFazMan
    YamFazMan UKPosts: 21,315
     Superuser
    edited August 7
    Hi
    @WiseOwl9000
    NAV3 Devices with 4GB On-board Memory... Catch22
    Tomtom devices need at least one Map installed before they will Boot-up...
    The Maps on the NAV3 devices easily fitted onto the 4GB of on-board Memory, but the Map sizes increases with every update....
    Now the 4GB limit on-board memory size on the NAV3 devices is an unfortunate, but real Catch22 situation....
    The NAV3 Full Europe Map is now approaching 5 GB….

If your Start 25 has 4GB built-in Memory....
    Adapt the method used in the link below...
    To install the Full Europe Map on a Micro SDHC Memory Card....
    OR
    Install one of the Smaller Map Cuts that includes the UK....
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1799005/#Comment_1799005

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • WiseOwl9000
    Apprentice Seeker
    Hi @YamFazMan,

Thank you so much for your kind reply. I'm in Australia so don't have the option to select a smaller map, even though the current map is too large for the 4GB of memory on the START 25.

Hopefully TomTom will see this and add a smaller suitable map to my account. I think I've read through and not missed anything in that thread.

Please let me know if there's anything else I should try first.

Thank you again.
  • WiseOwl9000
    Apprentice Seeker
    FYI for anyone from TomTom reading this thread... I've put in a support request here: https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-us/requests/2567236

Hopefully I can have an older version of the Australian map added to my account (providing that will solve the issue) or a smaller map added and then I can format the SDHC card and install the latest Australian map.
  • YamFazMan
     Superuser
    edited August 10
    Hi
    @WiseOwl9000
    a0nr5asx8rhc.jpg
    What are the 1st 2 characters of the device 'Serial number' ??? The first two letters define the Tomtom Model...
    (Only post the 1st 2 Characters)

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • WiseOwl9000
    Apprentice Seeker
    Hi @YamFazMan,

It's BL so hopefully not yet EOL?

Many thanks again.
  • WiseOwl9000
    Apprentice Seeker
    Hi again @YamFazMan,

Success!! I've had a smaller map (Israel at 19Mb) activated by TomTom customer support.

- Temporarily disabled my firewall (though I had tried with it disabled before)
    - Successfully installed that 19Mb Israel map.
    - Did a hard reset and accepted the option to format the memory card.
    - Downloaded and installed Australian map (342Mb) on the SD card through MyDrive Connect.

Tech support did point out that the Australian map wouldn't exceed the 4Gb of installed memory (which makes sense to me). I thought it might have been that the map was highly compressed, expanded on installation, and that was why the device was running out of memory.

Not worrying about this but interestingly I was able to install one voice (Ken) but not the 60Mb Australian voice Karen. Device has 3419Mb free and SDHC card has 14808Mb free. I did try clearing the MyDrive Connect cache and the downloads as well before retrying. Also tried restarting the TomTom. The TomTom just kept failing with something has gone wrong.

Thanks again for your kind replies here.
  • YamFazMan
     Superuser

Hi
    @WiseOwl9000
    You're welcome, glad you're sorted :)

Stay Safe... ATB YFM