How do I add 'My Place' using a Google Maps pin?

wpqs
wpqs Registered Users Posts: 8
Apprentice Seeker
I want to add 'My Place' to my TomTom GO 520 using a Google Maps Pin because the Search Facility on TomTom is always worse than Google. Basically I want to search on Google and then drop a pin on a location. I then want to share that pin with MyDrive so that the location will be sync with my GO 560. This should not be difficult technically as Google already allows sharing of pins with applications like WhatsApp. Why doesn't MyDrive appear in the list of apps that Google allow sharing of pin data (a small bit of JSON)?

Answers

• Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 6,507
    Revered Voyager
    I don't know if this will answer your question why not copy the coordinates found on Google Maps and then paste them into mydrive is saved as a location?
  • Lochfrass
    Lochfrass Posts: 18,431
     Superuser
    If you install the App
    " map to geo" you can share the location in to the MyDrive App.
    Hope it is available in your country.
    txyjq9uryxlb.jpg
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 21,135
     Superuser
    edited August 5
    Hi
    @markolarko
    Maybe useful....
    MDW Route planner Here... https://mydrive.tomtom.com
    Transfer the individual locations manually....
    Google Maps....
    With Google Maps and the MyDrive Web Route planner both running....
    (I use a 50/50 Split-screen)....
    (1)... Type the required location into the Google Maps Search Box and Click on the Magnifying glass Icon....
    (2)... Right-click on the offered location....
    (3)... A small Window opens... Left-Click on the offered Coordinate, to copy the Coordinate to the clipboard....

MyDrive Web Route planner....
    (4)... Important... Click on the MyDrive Web Route planner search box (To activate the search Box)
    (5)... Use Ctrl + v to paste the coordinates into the MyDrive Web Route planner....
    (6).... Important... Press Enter on your PC Keyboard....
    The MDW Route planner will Zoom to the location and mark the location with a MyPlace Icon (i.e... Starting point)
    (7)... Right-click on the new MyPlace Icon... A new window opens....
    Select... Add a Stop, Send Destination, Add to MyPlaces or Plan a route....

Or

Google Maps....
    (1)... Right-click on the Google Map at the required location....
    (2)... A small Window opens... Left-Click on the offered Coordinate, to copy the Coordinate to the clipboard....

MyDrive Web Route planner....
    (3)... Important... Click on the MyDrive Web Route planner search box (To activate the search Box)
    (4)... Use Ctrl + v to paste the coordinates into the MyDrive Web Route planner....
    (5).... Important... Press Enter on your PC Keyboard....
    The MDW Route planner will Zoom to the location and mark the location with a MyPlace Icon (i.e... Starting point)
    (6)... Right-click on the new MyPlace Icon... A new window opens.... Select... Add a Stop, Send Destination, Add to MyPlaces or Plan a route....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 21,135
     Superuser
    edited August 6
    Hi
    @markolarko
    Maybe useful....
    wpqs wrote: »
    (Snip) This should not be difficult technically as Google already allows sharing of pins with applications like WhatsApp. Why doesn't MyDrive appear in the list of apps that Google allow sharing of pin data (a small bit of JSON)?
    If you want access to the MyDrive Web route planner 'JSON' file
    Many users have asked for the facility to back up their MyPlaces to a PC
    You can also create a Personal POI Category of your MyPlaces to replace the MyPlaces list, and if required show an Icon on your device or Create Multiple Personal POI Categories as required....
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1136163/many-users-have-asked-for-the-facility-to-back-up-their-myplaces-to-a-pc

Note... When you save your data from the MDW Route panner, the (Your username goes here)_MyDrive.json.gz file is saved to the 'Downloads' folder on a windows PC
    Also a 'Save' option appears in the lower left corner of the MDW Route panner....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM