GO Essential tomtom -No voice guidance

Tafia
Tafia Registered Users Posts: 30
Master Explorer
edited August 5 in Devices using Wi-Fi®
Hi folks,

Though I did have voice guidance when I first had the TomTom Essential today there was silence apart from a speed camera warning voice. There was no " at the roundabout take the third exit" for example though it did show the route on the screen. Under Sounds and warnings I have 'chosen read aloud' and all other options are set to 'always'. I presume exiting that screen fixes the desired options.

Voice is set to Serena and Under Voice Control "start voice control' is set to off as I don't want to talk to TomTom, I want TT to talk to me.

Have I missed a setting somewhere. I was told that if I didn't want voice control then turning off 'voice control' would stop TT asking me for instructions. I trust that would not also turn of the route guidance voice.

I guess I have missed something in the settings. Anyone know what?

Cheers,

Best Answers

• DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 10,035
    Superuser
    Answer ✓
    Hi @Tafia

If the unit is turned On if you Tap the Menu button is there a line through the Voice Icon at the right end of the Volume bar. If so Tap the Icon to remove the Line and enables the direction information.

Doug
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 21,136
     Superuser
    edited August 6 Answer ✓
    Hi
    @Tafia
    Tafia wrote: »
    (Snip) I did eventually find reference to the Voice icon on page 35 of the user manual though I don't know how it was turned off: I am not aware of doing it and didn't even know it was there. (Snip)
    It's really easy to accidently tap on one of the 'Sound' icons when you swipe through the menus....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM

Answers

• Lochfrass
    Lochfrass Posts: 18,446
     Superuser
    Do you observe the same when you set a recorded Voice?
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 10,035
    Superuser
    Answer ✓
    Hi @Tafia

If the unit is turned On if you Tap the Menu button is there a line through the Voice Icon at the right end of the Volume bar. If so Tap the Icon to remove the Line and enables the direction information.

Doug
  • Tafia
    Master Explorer
    Thanks Doug,

I did eventually find reference to the Voice icon on page 35 of the user manual though I don't know how it was turned off: I am not aware of doing it and didn't even know it was there. I haven't been out in the car since so don't know if that was the problem though it does now seem obvious.

Cheers.
  • Tafia
    Master Explorer
    To Lochfrass, no, I only became aware of the problem yesterday.

Thanks again to both.
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 21,136
     Superuser
    edited August 6 Answer ✓
    Hi
    @Tafia
    Tafia wrote: »
    (Snip) I did eventually find reference to the Voice icon on page 35 of the user manual though I don't know how it was turned off: I am not aware of doing it and didn't even know it was there. (Snip)
    It's really easy to accidently tap on one of the 'Sound' icons when you swipe through the menus....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM

• Tafia
    Master Explorer
    Hi again, further to this, I put TT in the car this morning and still had no voice directions. I pulled over, opened the menu and on the first page immediately noticed the sound button was on the hard left of the bar. I guess I must have accidentally done this when swiping and not noticed, as YFM suggested.

Smack on wrist for me.

Thanks to all for you patience and help.

T