How do I know whether my device is loaded with the latest updates?

2HallRoad
2HallRoad Registered Users Posts: 9
Apprentice Traveler
I'm not sure whether I have updated the latest maps, I need them for my holiday to France and Spain next week

Answers

• Lochfrass
    Lochfrass Posts: 18,552
     Superuser
    The latest map is ver. 1090
  • 2HallRoad
    Apprentice Traveler
    Thanks for your response.
    Oh dear, I don't seem to be getting anywhere with this download job. I thought I'd updated the western countries maps, but I tried it out on various cities and countries, but it just says "No valid GPS position found for this location". Do I have to be actually in that country for it to work? So is it not possible to navigate to, say, Paris from Manchester, or do I have to be in France then reset the device? I'm in England and used it regularly in the UK prior to trying to update and I just tried to navigate to various cities as a trial, but it does not show a UK symbol in the various country symbols, so I can't bring it back to UK.
    It usually takes only about 2/3 minutes to find a GPS signal, so it looks as if I may have done some electronic damage in my efforts to update.
    Any ideas to get it working again? For example is there a facility to restore factory settings?
    Cheers
    John Halstead
  • Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 6,605
    Elite Voyager
    edited August 4
    You must install a map on your GPS that covers all the countries on your route.

You must therefore install a map that includes England and France on your GPS.
  • 2HallRoad
    Apprentice Traveler
    Thanks for your prompt reply.
    My original problem was that I don't know whether the maps have installed properly, there was no message to tell me, I want to be sure because I'm planning to drive to Spain via France next week and there is no indication that they have installed, so I did a test run and received the message quoted earlier. I've repeated all that twice now with the same result.
    I must say the Tomtom is excellent for travelling and works very well, but the update procedure is very hit and miss.
    Do you have any ideas please? If I can't get it working properly I will have to go and buy another type of satnav. I don't really want to do that because I am used to using this one.
    Is there a way of restoring factory settings?
  • Willy875
    Elite Voyager
    To make your trip from England to Spain via France, install the complete map of Europe on your GPS.
  • Lochfrass
     Superuser
    For me it seems that your device has no GPS Fix.
    I would recommend resetting the device. To do this, keep the power button permanently pressed while the device is switched on until the device restarts with the drum noise. After the drums, release the button.
    You do not loose anything.

Is the triangle that means your car grey or blue?
  • Lochfrass
     Superuser
    Lochfrass wrote: »
    For me it seems that your device has no GPS Fix.
    I would recommend resetting the device. To do this, keep the power button permanently pressed while the device is switched on until the device restarts with the drum noise. After the drums, release the button.
    You do not loose anything.

Is the triangle that means your car grey or blue?

Forgot to mention. Perform the reset outside and then wait about 5 minutes so that the device can locate itself.
  • neha.pali
    neha.pali Staff, TomTom Staff Posts: 12 Staff
    Hi @2HallRoad,

I checked your device BL*****24 details The device is not fully updated. GPS update is pending.
    Perform the soft reset and update it again( Press and hold the On/Off button until your device restarts. This can take more than fifteen seconds).

Regards,
    Neha
  • 2HallRoad
    Apprentice Traveler
    Thank you Neha, I will try that later today.
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 21,155
     Superuser
    edited August 5
    Hi
    @2HallRoad
    If you are still having problems with a GPS Fix ???
    See the post and the following post in the link below....
    Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1794292/#Comment_1794292

Did you manage to install the full Europe Map ???
    8fie7onwm2g8.jpg
    As far as I'm aware the "BL" prefix device Is a Start 25, 4GB + micro-SDHC, MyDrive Connect NAV3 Device....

NAV3 Devices with 4GB On-board Memory... Catch22
    Tomtom devices need at least one Map installed before they will Boot-up...
    The Maps on the NAV3 devices easily fitted onto the 4GB of on-board Memory, but the Map sizes increases with every update... Now the 4GB limit on-board memory size on the NAV3 devices is an unfortunate, but real Catch22 situation....
    The NAV3 Full Europe Map is now well over 4 GB approaching 5GB….
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1799005/#Comment_1799005

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • 2HallRoad
    Apprentice Traveler
    Thank you all for your suggestions. The last bit I'm having trouble with is installing GPSfix. Having logged in, I can see the list of updates available including western maps, which seems to have installed (it says up to date), but GPSfix is greyed out, there seems no button to click on to install.
    Every time I try to do something I finish up going down a blind alley, I've tried the help section but that didn't help at all. Can you please suggest a way round the problem?
    Thanks and regards, John H
  • neha.pali
    neha.pali Staff, TomTom Staff Posts: 12 Staff
    Hi @2HallRoad ,

Reset the navigation from the link:
    https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-us/articles/360013957499#h_8544fad2-9326-4d5e-a970-c838642f4426

Then update the device via Mydrive connect.

Regards,
    Neha
  • 2HallRoad
    Apprentice Traveler
    Thank you Neha and your colleagues for your suggestions, but I'm afraid they don't work for my Start 25.
    The difficulty I now have is in updating QuickGPSfix. I can get as far as the screen in Mydrive that shows the available updates and the maps are updated, as as the voices. But the GPS is still showing as update available and I can't find any way of updating it, no buttons that I can see. No matter what I try, including all of your suggestions, soft restart indoors and outdoors etc. that screen stubbornly stays the same. I've tried charging the battery overnight to make sure it's fully charged, it just seems impossible to update GPSfix.
    Another thing (sorry to bother you so much), when starting to prepare a route, there is no UK icon to click on, all the others are there, even vatican city. Does the device automatically default to the country in which the device is at the time?
    I must get this fixed today because I'm off to Spain via France on Tuesday, so any further ideas will be appreciated
    Regards, John Halstead
  • Willy875
    Elite Voyager
    edited August 12
    Have you had the opportunity to update QuickGPSfix at least once.

QuickGPSfix once loaded and valid for 7 days later your GPS may have difficulty finding satellites.

there is no UK icon
    if you are in England you must have the UK flag

On the other hand to go to Spain you have to select the Spanish flag to search for the arrival
  • Lochfrass
     Superuser
    Or for a last try you can select another Map in the settings, then reset the device and after that switch it back to the Europe Map
    I have realy no other ideas when it doesn´t help
  • 2HallRoad
    Apprentice Traveler
    Thank you and all of your colleagues for your suggestions, I have tried them all but without success, so it looks like my device has developed a fault.
    It's very annoying because it was working well until I tried to update it, I wish I had left it as it was. My only option is to go out now and buy another one
    Thanks once again for your ideas, they are much appreciated.
    Kind regards, John