Unable to import data from Google Fit into TomTom Sports

Crome
Crome Registered Users Posts: 4
Apprentice Seeker
Hi,

I have searched the internet and the forum about issues with importing data from Google Fit into TomTom Sports, but didn't find any useful answers.

Simply put, I want to import my hikes (or the amount of steps) and my bicycle tours that are registered in Google Fit into TomTom Sport, because I do not always wear my watch. But no data is imported and I have been using the apps for a couple of days now.

I followed the following article: https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-us/articles/360013958419-Importing-your-data-from-Google-Fit-or-Apple-Health-to-the-TomTom-Sports-App

- Google Fit is activated as a connected app in TomTom Sports
- TomTom Sports has been given permissions in my Google Account

The article says "You are now ready to import your steps, calories, active time and distance, and your progress in the Trends tab."
What is the 'Trends' tab? And should there be an import button?

Thanks in advance

Best Answers

• tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,973
     Superuser
    Answer ✓
    No. You can download a zip file with all of your sports activities, but not the daily tracking data (under your profile, go to Settings> Manage Account> Manage My Data and there will be buttons to download your data in zip files). You cannot import this into Google Fit as far as I know and would not have any daily tracking data anyway. It is entirely possible that the connection with Google Fit no longer works. TT Sports went out of business almost 5 years ago and the watches are obsolete and at end of life and are no longer supported beyond this user forum, so any connection issues are permanent. You may just need to cut your losses and move on to another device.
  • Crome
    Apprentice Seeker
    Answer ✓
    For those of you who are looking for a workaround, the connection with Strava still works and Strava has a working connection with Google Fit.

So I wear my TomTom watch while running and cycling. When I synch my watch, the activities are automatically transferred into Strava and then from Strava into Google Fit. Google Fit counts the daily steps and short bike rides on my phone when I am not wearing my watch.

Therefore I use Google Fit for the complete picture and Strava and TomTom Sports for detailed information about the activities. And the most important thing, there are no manual actions needed.

I haven't tried the other apps that you can find within TomTom Sports, so those may also be an option, but I am satisfied with this setup.

Answers

• tfarabaugh
     Superuser
    This only imports the daily activity tracking, not sports activities, so it will never show up under your activities, it will be baked into the daily step count and other metrics. Nothing will come in for cycling as you have no steps (all the other metrics are based on the steps). Unfortunately, there is no way to upload activities not created by the watch and no way to manually add an activity. However, you can start a new activity, immediately stop and save it and then upload it. You can then go into TomTom Sports and edit the activity with the correct distance, time, etc.. The date and time of the activity will not be correct, but it will get added into your lifetime totals and other stats.
  • Crome
    Apprentice Seeker
    Thank you for your response.

The latter seems a bit too much work, so that is not going to cut it.

If the steps should have been imported, then it is strange that TomTom Sport shows only 131 steps on Saturday and Google Fit more than 8000. I don't think anything is imported, so something is missing or not right.

What if we turn this around. Can I export all my activities and data from TomTom Sports into Google Fit?
  • tfarabaugh
     Superuser
    Answer ✓
    No. You can download a zip file with all of your sports activities, but not the daily tracking data (under your profile, go to Settings> Manage Account> Manage My Data and there will be buttons to download your data in zip files). You cannot import this into Google Fit as far as I know and would not have any daily tracking data anyway. It is entirely possible that the connection with Google Fit no longer works. TT Sports went out of business almost 5 years ago and the watches are obsolete and at end of life and are no longer supported beyond this user forum, so any connection issues are permanent. You may just need to cut your losses and move on to another device.
  • Crome
    Apprentice Seeker
    Oké, thanks.

I will then try to wear my watch more often.

Cheers.
  • Crome
    Apprentice Seeker
    Answer ✓
    For those of you who are looking for a workaround, the connection with Strava still works and Strava has a working connection with Google Fit.

So I wear my TomTom watch while running and cycling. When I synch my watch, the activities are automatically transferred into Strava and then from Strava into Google Fit. Google Fit counts the daily steps and short bike rides on my phone when I am not wearing my watch.

Therefore I use Google Fit for the complete picture and Strava and TomTom Sports for detailed information about the activities. And the most important thing, there are no manual actions needed.

I haven't tried the other apps that you can find within TomTom Sports, so those may also be an option, but I am satisfied with this setup.