Go Expert 7, HELP!!! Can't Install my NEW TomTom Go Expert 7!!

NielsP
NielsP Registered Users Posts: 4
New Seeker
Yesterday i bought myself the all new TomTom Go Expert 7. But i try to install the system by connecting him to the wifi, bluethooth and also to MyDrive Connect. The bluethooth went smooth and succesfull, and the wifi connected, but couln't get any connection. The MyDrive Connect app on my computer did detectd the sytem. But he asks to login on the device in MyDrive. But that wont work, because every time i get a error message that he cant get acces to the TomTom Services, try again later.
And every time i tried new things. Like trying different computers, different wifi networks, Soft resets of the system, Re-install the MyDrive Connect on the different computers And even the Hard reset of the device itself. NOTHING WORKS!! please can someone help me? I really need the navigation for work.

Niels

Best Answer

• YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 21,132
     Superuser
    edited July 30 Answer ✓
    Hi
    @NielsP
    NielsP wrote: »
    (Snip) Even if I connect the device to my laptop. My laptop recognizes there is a device connected, and the MyDrive Connect program also recognize there is a new TomTom connected. The program starts a new scream, on how to connect your new device. And on that it says that I have to Login at MyDrive on the Device, to be able to find the device, connect it to the program and to install the device itself ???
    Are you at home with your GO Expert... Connected to a USB port on your PC for a power supply + MyDrive Connect running on your PC ???
    The USB connection will take priority over the Wi-Fi connection....

Can you access the Settings menus ???
    Go Discover & Expert etc... Tap on the 3 line 'Hamburger Icon' --> Setting --> System --> About....
    Scroll down to 'Data Connection'...
    What does the device report ???

Some Go Discover & GO Expert users have reported that it helps if you first get a GPS Fix...
    Take the device outside with a clear view to the sky.... Then press and hold the on/off button until you hear a drum-roll sound then release the on/off button....
    Wait until the device to finds your location....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM

Answers

• YamFazMan
     Superuser
    edited July 31
    Hi
    @NielsP
    Re the GO Expert....
    For the initial registration of the device to your account... You need to connect the device over Wi-Fi....
    For >> ALL << Map Installs & Map updates, the device >> MUST << be connected over Wi-Fi....

Are you at home with your GO Expert... Connected to a USB port on your PC for a power supply + MyDrive Connect running on your PC ???
    If 'Yes'... The USB connection will take priority over the Wi-Fi connection....

To power the device while updating try using something like a Smartphone or a Mains powered USB charger + The Tomtom USB lead)

GO Expert User Manual....

Here... https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/4402552203154-GO-Expert-User-Manual

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • NielsP
    New Seeker
    @YamFazMan that's the point.
    I'm at home.
    But the device only connects to the wifi, UT doesn't get any internet connection. It says so on the device itself, and it does not work to log in to My Drive on the device. Whatever I do.. Even rebooting my wifi.. It's not working. And I don't know why.

Niels
  • NielsP
    New Seeker
    @YamFazMan When i start my TomTom Go Expert up. The first i have to choose is the language and the country. that is succesfull. Than he go's towards the bluethooth connection. tht works as well.And then we come to the problem. He wants to connect t the WiFi. He connects with the WiFi, But also says directly underneath: Connected, no Internet.
    And that is the case, even if i connect the device to my laptop. My laptop recognize there is a device connected, and the MyDrive Connect program also recognize there is a new TomTom connected. The program starts a new scream, on how to connect your new device. And on that it says that i have to Login at MyDrive on the Device, to be able to find the device, connect it to the program and to install the device itself.
    But as i mentioned, he can't connect to TomTom Services. So he cannot Login.
    And the program can't go any further because im not logged in on the device.

so im stuck.

thats my problem.

any ideas?

Anyone?
  • YamFazMan
     Superuser
    edited July 30 Answer ✓
    Hi
    @NielsP
    NielsP wrote: »
    (Snip) Even if I connect the device to my laptop. My laptop recognizes there is a device connected, and the MyDrive Connect program also recognize there is a new TomTom connected. The program starts a new scream, on how to connect your new device. And on that it says that I have to Login at MyDrive on the Device, to be able to find the device, connect it to the program and to install the device itself ???
    The USB connection will take priority over the Wi-Fi connection....

Can you access the Settings menus ???
    Go Discover & Expert etc... Tap on the 3 line 'Hamburger Icon' --> Setting --> System --> About....
    Scroll down to 'Data Connection'...
    What does the device report ???

Some Go Discover & GO Expert users have reported that it helps if you first get a GPS Fix...
    Take the device outside with a clear view to the sky.... Then press and hold the on/off button until you hear a drum-roll sound then release the on/off button....
    Wait until the device to finds your location....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • NielsP
    New Seeker
    @YamFazMan you are my hero! The GPS thing made him finally realize what he had to do! After I walked outside for like 5 minutes he picked up the GPS signal, after which he finally accepted the internet connection as well!

Thank you so much for your tips and for your time and understanding!

Thank you!

Ps they should place this kind of information on their website or instruction manual 😅.

Have a nice weekend!
    And stay safe!

Niels
  • seanbt
    seanbt Registered Users Posts: 1
    New Seeker
    Amazing, I had the same issues as Niels, followed @YamFazMan's advice, so far all looking much better now. Top man :D:D