Why is the UK a523 poynton relief road show as open on the May Europe map update?

Edward Wilmslow
Edward Wilmslow Registered Users Posts: 11
Apprentice Seeker
Why is the UK A523 poynton relief road shown as open on the May Europe map update? This road is still under construction with completion not due until September 2022 at the earliest. Every day I am instructed to take a turn onto it which, if followed, would point me at an empty field and leave me going the wrong way on the A555 with no way to turn round for some miles!

Best Answer

Answers

• fergussion
    fergussion Registered Users Posts: 400
    Supreme Pioneer
  • Edward Wilmslow
    Apprentice Seeker
    Many thanks for your response but I am not sure what I am seeing here. The road is show in red stripes so I assume that somebody has reported it as not yet open but a new map version has not yet been issued. Is that correct?
  • Shawnloveshorses161
    Shawnloveshorses161 Registered Users Posts: 48
    Prominent Wayfarer
    Answer ✓
    Good morning,

I would love to help you report this issue, also note this is a traffic issue not a map issue, it should be resolved very quickly, just click the road, then choose road, choose road closed in construction or use the other button.

https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-ca/articles/360013960619-About-MapShare-reporter

More info here :)

It seems that this was recently added as I was not able to find it on Bing.
  • Edward Wilmslow
    Apprentice Seeker
    Shawn and Fergusson, many thanks for your help - I have not used this application before. I have now reported it as you suggested.
  • Shawnloveshorses161
    Prominent Wayfarer
    You're very welcome Edward, it will take time for them to verify the change they adjust it accordingly and make any changes to the traffic automatic API If needed so future issues will be prevented :)

Have a wonderful day!

Shawn
  • Shawnloveshorses161
    Prominent Wayfarer
    I believe it should be fixed though now
  • Edward Wilmslow
    Apprentice Seeker
    Thanks Shawn but sadly not fixed yet! I just updated my GO 60 , ensured my phone was connected and receiving traffic updates and drove through Woodford towards Adlington. At the Poynton road works I was directed to turn left onto the Poynton Relief Road into what is currently a field full of road diggers!!
  • Lost_Soul
    Lost_Soul Registered Users Posts: 442
    Supreme Pioneer
    @Edward Wilmslow

The Go 60 operates on the "Classic Maps" which typically are updated on a quarterly basis............ the next Map update is scheduled to be released during August, but I would not hold your breath that this correction will be included. B)
  • Edward Wilmslow
    Apprentice Seeker
    Many thanks! It's not due to complete until end of October to end of year.
  • Lost_Soul
    Supreme Pioneer
    @Edward Wilmslow

Although it is a pain, to have to do this on each journey; you could go into "Current Route" and "Avoid Part of Route" and select the Poynton Relief Road............... the Go 60 should then navigate as you would expect :/
  • Edward Wilmslow
    Apprentice Seeker
    Many thanks. As I drive this frequently I do not need the TomTom guidance but I like to set the destination to get the traffic reports on the many roadworks. It is just irritating to be directed onto an uncompleted road that would really cause a major problem for somebody who did not know the place.
  • Lost_Soul
    Supreme Pioneer
    I fully agree with you - Irritating….. :( and even worse if you do not know the area you are driving in.

I have only been a TomTom user for some 6 years, but on my first day of using TomTom I was diverted incorrectly, traffic delays were not detected and was sent repeatedly into closed roads………. Despite reporting this on Mapshare Reporter it was not fixed! As almost exactly to the day a year later the TomTom diverted onto a “Closed Road” literally yards away from the above!!!!

Fast forward to 2021/2022, Mapshare Reporting/corrections have not improved, to the extent I have given up trying to report issues, map changes can be measured in Years not months or weeks as promised and I am still diverted on crazy/ illogical routes due to either phantom restrictions or poor road mapping where a restriction on a minor road is incorrectly applied to a main road. :s

And I feel the situation will only get worse following Tomtom’s June press release saying they have reduced their Map unit staff by some 500. B)
  • Edward Wilmslow
    Apprentice Seeker
    Wow! 500 less staff sounds horrendous!!
  • Shawnloveshorses161
    Prominent Wayfarer
    Hi Edward, it seems that this area is having a big overhaul upgrade that will take some time to complete as this is new construction, the navigation shouldn't lead you through it here now though :)

Thanks,
  • Shawnloveshorses161
    Prominent Wayfarer
    This task will be tackled in Preact Project".Higher N2C updates will be done under OM-171769. Closing task as Database alternatively updated. |

• Edward Wilmslow
    Apprentice Seeker
    Thanks Shawn - not sure what "Preact Project".Higher N2C updates will be done under OM-171769" means but I assume that it means it will be fixed sometime!
  • Shawnloveshorses161
    Prominent Wayfarer
    Hi Edward,

Here is the response from TomTom, " Thank you for contacting us.

Some pre actuality (preact) reports require major changes in map area. Example, a new under construction road.

Hence, the report is marked as Database alternatively updated, meaning it will be updated via some other methods and will take more time to solve and reflect on map.

Thank You,

TomTom

MapShare Reporter Support Team"
  • Edward Wilmslow
    Apprentice Seeker
    Thank you - but it does not tell me why traffic has been directed onto the new road from last May when it will not actually be built until near end of year, or when this will be corrected!
  • Lost_Soul
    Supreme Pioneer
    @Edward Wilmslow

TomTom with very limited exceptions have never committed to giving a “definite” date when an issue will be addressed or corrected……… ;)

And going by the somewhat convoluted Techno-babble the Mapshare reporting team have given, they do not appear to understand the issue? :/

I may have got it wrong but it appears this is simply another too common example of where different TomTom devices / Apps are being updated “inconsistently” or a mistake has occurred….. :(

In this instance, on my “classic” Map devices (+ your Go 60) the Poynton Relief Road is shown on the map and is classed incorrectly as being “open to Traffic” (your local knowledge confirms this) , whereas all my NDS map based devices,( Go Discover + Go App etc.) the Poynton Relief Road is also shown on the map BUT is classed correctly as being “Closed to Traffic”.

One would assume that once the Relief Road is completed and Open to Traffic that TomTom will simply “flick the switch” on all the maps……

But until TomTom decides to update / correct the ‘Classic’ mapping error you will have to be patient……………. . B)
  • Edward Wilmslow
    Apprentice Seeker
    Many thanks - a very clear and concise reply!