Go Comfort major connection issues with every phone we tried

Toonz
Toonz Registered Users Posts: 9
Apprentice Seeker
edited July 24 in Devices using Wi-Fi®
Had a pair of Go Comfort 6" devices that never worked correctly from day one.

Finally got tired of trying to make them work right, after attempting to use them with a plethora of different phones- major connection issues with every phone we tried, and we tried plenty. Constant reboots, constant bluetooth connectivity problems, bad map mistakes- you name it; these devices have it all going wrong.

Support offered to replace the two devices. I was skeptical, as they wanted to replace them with the same exact product. I voiced my concerns but was ignored.

I was skeptical, because both devices had the *exact same issues*, no matter what phone we tried to use them with.

The replacement devices arrived yesterday afternoon. I opened the first one this morning, followed the directions very carefully. Within just 2 hours of opening the box and setting it up, it started to present the *EXACT SAME ISSUES* as the two that were returned.

I'm not even opening the second box. These things are junk; completely unreliable.

They will not maintain a bluetooth connection on any phone.

They randomly reboot while driving.

They refuse to read texts aloud.

They will not receive a destination from any phone.

They routinely say that the phone is not in range, although the phone is literally sitting an inch away, while bluetooth on the phone says it is connected.

There are hideous map errors.

Anyone here have a suggestion for another device, made by a different company that actually works as advertised?

We are soooo done with TomTom, after years and years as loyal customers. We gave them every chance to fix this issue, but the device is simply not up to the tasks that it is advertised to do.

Frustrated beyond belief...
Tagged:

Comments

• DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 10,031
    Superuser
    Hi @Toonz

If you are using an IPhone then the units will not work with messaging since Apple released IOS 13 which meant that the linking of the MyDrive App was no longer possible.

To link an IPhone go to Settings and select the Hotspot Option. And turn that option On. Now go to Bluetooth on Settings.
    Go to Bluetooth in the Go Comforts Settings and Tap Add a Phone. You now select Pair on both devices and you should find the units have a good connection. At no time will you be asked for the Personal Hotspots Password nor will it appear as connected to the TT units Wifi. The Personal Hotspot must be turned On just like Bluetooth in the IPhones Settings. On Android phones you need to have Bluetooth Tethering activated.

Doug

• Toonz
    Apprentice Seeker
    Not using an iPhone, sorry but thanks.

We have followed every tech support suggestion that TomTom support has sent our way, to the letter- with a plethora of different android phones.

Nothing they have suggested has ever made these things work correctly.

The new units failed to work reliably right out of the box. In fact- they demonstrated the same issues much faster than the original two devices we purchased.

These things are junk.
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 21,135
     Superuser
    Hi
    @Toonz
    Maybe useful...
    Connecting your phone to your Wi-Fi device....
    https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360013958659-Connecting-your-phone-to-your-Wi-Fi-device

Stay Safe ATB YFM
  • Toonz
    Apprentice Seeker
    At the advice of TomTom support, we have done, redone, and overdone all listed suggestions ad nauseam- literally a thousand times, including some suggested by support that aren't listed. While it occasionally works immediately after a complete factory reset and setup from scratch, it always fails shortly after. It simply will not stick, regardless of what phone is used.

We were hoping that a software update would remedy this condition, but it never came. Phones are fully up to date, devices fully updated. They are simply unreliable, and we're tired of trying at this point.

These things are garbage.
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 21,135
     Superuser
    Hi
    @Toonz
    Have you tried un-pairing the MyDrive App....
    It's the same on the iPhone, but it works if you don't pair the MyDrive App....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • Toonz
    Apprentice Seeker
    We've tried *everything* to get these devices to do what they are advertised to do.

...Nothing works.

This has been going on quite literally for two years now. Support ran out of suggestions long ago, and finally agreed to replace the devices. Unfortunately, the replacements are even worse than the original two we purchased.

These things are complete junk.

At this point, I just want our money back, so I can purchase a reliable device from a different company.

TomTom had more than enough time to address this properly, but failed.

I'm out.

Can anyone recommend a more reliable brand? I'm not asking for a lot; I just want the device to perform as advertised. I really don't think that's asking too much...
  • Toonz
    Apprentice Seeker
    So, tomtom support replaced the two devices with two identical devices, with the same identical issues.

Now- they won't respond to my emails.

I feel robbed.

I want my money back, so I can purchase devices from a different company.

These things are complete junk.