Reset does NOT work on my new GO Discover 7

UrsusMajor55
UrsusMajor55 Registered Users Posts: 1
New Seeker
I have a brand new GO Discover 7 and updating maps stops. According to instructions I can 1) soft reset the device by holding the On/Off button when the unit is on until the boot text appears; or 2) do a hard reset by holding the On/Off button when the unit is on until the boot text appears and then press the button 3 times quickly.

None of these options work. I have tried with the unit fully charged not on power and fully charged but on power (15W charger).

In addition, there is no instructions on how to this on the support sites (only other models with power button on top, not back of unit). The chat bot is utterly useless.

Can someone tell me what to do please?

Answers

• YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 21,158
     Superuser
    edited July 24
    Hi
    @UrsusMajor55
    Welcome to the site....
    (Snip) I have a brand-new GO Discover 7 and updating maps stops. According to instructions I can
    1) soft reset the device by holding the On/Off button when the unit is on until the boot text appears....
    For a Soft reset... Fully charge the device for at least 2 Hours or have the device connected to a power supply....
    Press and hold the On/Off button until you see the TomTom logo and hear the drum roll sound then release the On/Off button...
    2) do a hard reset by holding the On/Off button when the unit is on until the boot text appears and then press the button 3 times quickly...
    None of these options work. (Snip)
    The above option you quote is for Recovery mode on the previous range of devices...
    Edit... For Recovery Mode on the latest GO Discover & GO Expert etc... See post by @neha.pali (Forum Moderator)
    Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1815783/#Comment_1815783
    Warning... I would not use Recovery Mode on just a whim... In my experience, anyone trying to activate Recovery Mode... Without a fully active connection Via a USB Cable & MyDrive Connect could have real problems....
    Once Recovery Mode is initiated, and a connection to MDC is NOT established... Recovery Mode will continue to attempt to connect to MDC until the Server eventually times-out
    Any attempts at a Restart... The device, will continue to display a Splash screen with Image of a PC and a Red Cross or a Screen displaying a Spinning disc, until Recovery mode can establish a connection to MyDrive Connect or the Server eventually times-out....

For a Factory Reset... On the GO Discover/Expert etc... Tap on the 3 line 'Hamburger Icon' --> Setting --> Systems --> Reset device....

Before you start resetting the device.... What are the problems you're experiencing with the GO Discover....

Have you owned a previous Tomtom device ???
    Is Tomtom MyDrive Connect installed >> AND << Running on your PC + Are you using your PC to Power your GO Discover....
    Map updates on the GO Discover >> MUST << be over Wi-Fi....
    In the above situation the USB Connection will take priority over the Wi-Fi connection....
    Tap on the 3 line 'Hamburger Icon' --> Setting --> System --> About.... Scroll down to Data connection....
    vgn1u4clijum.jpg
    Optons....
    (1)... Use an alternate power supply to power your device...
    (2)... Or quit MyDrive Connect on your PC Task --> Then Unplug then Re-insert the USB Lead on your PC for the device to register the data connection change....
    (3)... Disable the MyDrive Connect 'Auto start with you PC' in the MDC Settings menu then only run MDC as and when required....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • neha.pali
    neha.pali Staff, TomTom Staff Posts: 15 Staff
    Hi @UrsusMajor55 ,

Welcome to the community!

To perform the soft reset on the new TomTom Go Discover, you just have to press and hold the On/Off button until your device restarts. This can take more than fifteen seconds.

For Full reset: Go to the main menu>settings>System>reset device>Reset>warning to confirm the Reset option.

To perform the recovery: Turn Go Discover on from real off: Press the button > 4 seconds - TomTom Logo appears

There will be a few seconds phase where only the TomTom logo is visible(drum sound together with progress bar will appear noticeable later)

In this few seconds phase: Release the button, press it again and keep it pressed>Release the button as soon as the diagnostics screen is visible.

Regards,
    Neha