Is this a scam

GingerWalker
GingerWalker Registered Users Posts: 10
Apprentice Seeker
edited July 24 in Devices using Wi-Fi®
I have a TomTom GO Expert / GO Discover 6". At the side of the model details on the home page is the following "Lifetime is the useful life of the device, which means the period of time that TomTom continues to support your device with either software updates, services, content or accessories. A device will have reached the end of its useful life when one or more is no longer available or if no updates have been downloaded to the device for a period of 36 months or more." I believe this is free updates. I have received an email containing my correct serial number saying I should update the speed camera at a cost of £35. Simple question, Is this a scam?

Best Answers

• DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 10,055
    Superuser
    Answer ✓
    Hi @GingerWalker

The Go Expert, the Truck based unit, and the car based Go Discover units have free lifetime Map Updates but have a 1 Years Live Speed Camera service after which you have to pay a subscription to continue the service.

If you go to the main Tomtom website and find your unit under produced you will see what services are subject to subscription. Be aware that whilst in the past TT did not stop the camera notices working, although the information on the units was not updated, now the service will stop working.

Doug
  • dhn
    dhn Posts: 33,389
     Superuser
    Answer ✓
    Check back here when moderator @VikramK has a chance to look at this thread and provide feedback.

Answers

• DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 10,055
    Superuser
    Answer ✓
    Hi @GingerWalker

The Go Expert, the Truck based unit, and the car based Go Discover units have free lifetime Map Updates but have a 1 Years Live Speed Camera service after which you have to pay a subscription to continue the service.

If you go to the main Tomtom website and find your unit under produced you will see what services are subject to subscription. Be aware that whilst in the past TT did not stop the camera notices working, although the information on the units was not updated, now the service will stop working.

Doug
  • dhn
    dhn Posts: 33,389
     Superuser
    Answer ✓
    Check back here when moderator @VikramK has a chance to look at this thread and provide feedback.
  • GingerWalker
    Apprentice Seeker
    Thanks for this Doug, I shall renew with confidence, However I have looked at my subscriptions and it states "You do not have any subscription which is linked to your TomTom account." When I click the link for "More information" situated at the end of the details I get a pop up saying "Your connection is not private
    Attackers might be trying to steal your information from uk.support.tomtom.com (for example, passwords, messages or credit cards)." Hence I just wanted conformation of the request. Thanks again
  • Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 6,611
    Elite Voyager
    However I have looked at my subscriptions and it states "You do not have any subscription which is linked to your TomTom account."

It seems logical the first year your subscription is free

To renew your subscription. https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/navigation/maps-services/go-discover-premium-services/
  • GingerWalker
    Apprentice Seeker
    I renewed the Premium Services, on my Tomtom the cameras updated/renewed, however the premium services has not updated. I will check again in the morning.
  • Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 6,611
    Elite Voyager
    If it's on the device.
    the services displayed expired on the device is a known issue, Tomtom opened a ticket > -CCARE-3518
  • GingerWalker
    Apprentice Seeker
    On the device under system it stated that the speed camera was about to expire, I clicked the circular arrow and it updated immediately. I did the same with the premium ervice but nothing has happened. On my laptop under orders I get the following
    ORDER NUMBER TOTAL PURCHASE DATE STATUS PAYMENT STATUS
    413867801 Go Discover Services World - 1 Year £ 34.99 20-07-2022 Inprogress Captured

The actual subscription relates to the premium service.
    I will try again in the morning.

Thanks everyone for you advice and help.
This discussion has been closed.