Often used mobile sites; not marked?

Tafia
Tafia Registered Users Posts: 30
Master Explorer
edited July 14 in Devices using Wi-Fi®
Hi, still working through my Go Essential, this morning I noticed a site often used by mobile speed traps was not marked. Could this be simply because no one had marked it before or are the warnings only available when the van is actually on site at that particular moment? That seems a bit late. It would be very useful to know ahead of time if there was the possibility of a trap.

My Snooper GPS would say: "Warning, high risk zone" together with the limit but Tom stayed silent. I have marked the site now. There are several areas within a few miles of me where Go Safe are trapping two or three times a month but I haven't been past all of them yet. I always try to keep to the limit but sometimes in country areas the signs are hidden by overgrown hedges etc. I updated the speed camera settings before going out.

I also found that when say 5 miles from home, if I put in my post code, whilst the location arrow is correct on the map, the address comes up as in Deeside which is several miles away. Is that fixable?

Thanks to all for your patience with a newby.

T.

Best Answers

• YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 21,136
     Superuser
    edited July 15 Answer ✓
    Hi
    @Tafia
    As Vikram says you reported the Mobile Camera on the Device the report will remain active for 1 to 3 hours, unless someone else reports the Camera as still being there or gone

I think Tomtoms aim is to stop users being annoyed with false positives, so they try to make the Speed cam database 'Smart'
    But it relies on users reporting the live camera locations ( I always report Live Speed Cams)

Many users never venture in the Setting menus, I find it strange that the Mobile Camera Hot spots are turned OFF in the Setting menu by default

For general improvement for a NAV4/5(Wifi) device over the default settings

Always use a computer voice...
    Also.... From the main screen... Tap (.... Menu) -> Setting -> Sounds & Warnings...
    Set... 'Warning Type' to... Read Allowed...
    (Important... Needs a Computer Voice set in the Voices menu)
    Speed Cameras & Hazards... Set to ON
    The next 10 Setting ALL set to Always
    The next 4 Settings ALL set to ON
    The device will now say....
    'Fixed Camera'
    'Mobile Hot Spot'
    'Red Light Camera'
    'Spoken Traffic delays'

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • YamFazMan
     Superuser
    Answer ✓

Hi
    @Tafia
    I have also seen and NOT been warned about the Mobile Camera Vans, but I always report one if I see it, so I guess the Tomtom users for the next couple of hours received a warning

i.e... A while ago on Woodbury Lane Worcester I spotted a Police Motorcycle speed check/trap... I received no warning
    I tapped the 'Report a Speed Cam' button....
    On the return journey I received a warning and a confirmation 'Is the Camera still there request'

I prefer camera the 3rd party Speed camera database that I use on my NAV3 devices, I don't mind the false positives, but it can get a little irritating along the A449 with the sheer amount of false positives
    The Tomtom 'Smart' Speed Camera database is so that people aren't annoyed by false positive Speed Cam warning
    I wish Tomtom would offer the best of both worlds
    A choice between their 'Smart' system that relies on other users reporting the Cameras
    Or an option to Warn about the location of each Camera whether it's a live Camera location or a false positive

Note... I find the 'Report a Speed Camera' button is greyed out when approaching a known Speed Cam site and the button only becomes active immediately adjacent to the Speed cam location....
    Also, if you keep a check on the Traffic-bar... The device gives you a visual warning of the next Fixed or Mobile Speed Camera many miles before you reach the camera.....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM

Answers

• VikramK
    VikramK Administrators Posts: 14,290
    edited July 15
    Hi @Tafia,
    The locations of Mobile speed cameras are usually reported by our users, and in most cases a single report will be enough to trigger a shared mobile camera alert for 2 hours. If within these 2 hours a second report is made, the original report is extended for 1 more hour. If a third report or more are sent within these 3 hours, the total remaining time the camera is shared for will increase in smaller amounts, with a maximum additional time of 3 hours.

A location search using a postcode may not be very accurate, perhaps you can try adding mapcode as a workaround for better precision (See @DougLap's post here- https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1797357/#Comment_1797357 )

Using coordinates is also an alternative- https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360013957559

Regards, Vikram
  • YamFazMan
     Superuser
    edited July 15 Answer ✓
    Hi
    @Tafia
    As Vikram says you reported the Mobile Camera on the Device the report will remain active for 1 to 3 hours, unless someone else reports the Camera as still being there or gone

I think Tomtoms aim is to stop users being annoyed with false positives, so they try to make the Speed cam database 'Smart'
    But it relies on users reporting the live camera locations ( I always report Live Speed Cams)

Many users never venture in the Setting menus, I find it strange that the Mobile Camera Hot spots are turned OFF in the Setting menu by default

For general improvement for a NAV4/5(Wifi) device over the default settings

Always use a computer voice...
    Also.... From the main screen... Tap (.... Menu) -> Setting -> Sounds & Warnings...
    Set... 'Warning Type' to... Read Allowed...
    (Important... Needs a Computer Voice set in the Voices menu)
    Speed Cameras & Hazards... Set to ON
    The next 10 Setting ALL set to Always
    The next 4 Settings ALL set to ON
    The device will now say....
    'Fixed Camera'
    'Mobile Hot Spot'
    'Red Light Camera'
    'Spoken Traffic delays'

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • Tafia
    Master Explorer
    edited July 15
    Thanks for your replies folks. BTW, sorry I didn't see any notification mail to say my question had been replied to. Is there a tick box to get notification of replies? Did I miss it?

Re the mobile hot spots, I do have that turned on and would prefer to see the mobile hot spots there all the time especially when driving in a strange area. Seems that can't be done.

Does the mobile trap warning come to my TomTom whilst I am driving?

Now I can't see the option to answer Yes to the question, did this answer your question! Not doing too well, am I ? :-(
  • YamFazMan
     Superuser
    Answer ✓

Hi
    @Tafia
    I have also seen and NOT been warned about the Mobile Camera Vans, but I always report one if I see it, so I guess the Tomtom users for the next couple of hours received a warning

i.e... A while ago on Woodbury Lane Worcester I spotted a Police Motorcycle speed check/trap... I received no warning
    I tapped the 'Report a Speed Cam' button....
    On the return journey I received a warning and a confirmation 'Is the Camera still there request'

I prefer camera the 3rd party Speed camera database that I use on my NAV3 devices, I don't mind the false positives, but it can get a little irritating along the A449 with the sheer amount of false positives
    The Tomtom 'Smart' Speed Camera database is so that people aren't annoyed by false positive Speed Cam warning
    I wish Tomtom would offer the best of both worlds
    A choice between their 'Smart' system that relies on other users reporting the Cameras
    Or an option to Warn about the location of each Camera whether it's a live Camera location or a false positive

Note... I find the 'Report a Speed Camera' button is greyed out when approaching a known Speed Cam site and the button only becomes active immediately adjacent to the Speed cam location....
    Also, if you keep a check on the Traffic-bar... The device gives you a visual warning of the next Fixed or Mobile Speed Camera many miles before you reach the camera.....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM

• Tafia
    Master Explorer
    Just tried again to "answer yes" to the replies but don't see the option. Any clues why?
  • VikramK
    VikramK Administrators Posts: 14,290
    Hi @Tafia
    The topic was started as a discussion, but now I have changed it to a question.
    Tafia wrote: »
    Just tried again to "answer yes" to the replies but don't see the option. Any clues why?

You should be able to see the option now!

Regards,
    Vikram.
  • Tafia
    Master Explorer
    I understand and thanks for clearing that up for me.

T