What are the proposed dates for map updates?

Bendy
Bendy Registered Users Posts: 11
Apprentice Seeker
I am aware that TomTom updates maps 4 times a year (apparently). My recent mapshare reports have been attended to which is great, very impressed at that as I have a shared gpx route which is currently unfollowable due to missing roads and tracks etc.
My question is when are these fixes updated to the maps and hence downloadable to our devices?

I wish to know when this date is so that I can work hard to report many other issues and missing roads that I wish to be able to create routes for ....at this stage I am verging on buying a garmin which already has all of these tracks. If this date is not until the end of the year then I will likely need to swap devices due to an impending motorbike trip. Thanks in advance.

Best Answer

• tonygr
    tonygr Registered Users Posts: 94
    Supreme Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Usually in February, May, August, and November. Again usually about the middle of the month but can be later. Vikram has said in the past that there is no fixed date as the release depends on final testing. As Fergussion says it can take 6 -9 month to translate mapshare fixes into a map release (God knows why!) so it can be two or three releases before they appear.

Answers

• fergussion
    fergussion Registered Users Posts: 401
    Supreme Pioneer
    @Bendy
    after acceptance the corrections take 6 to 9 months
  • Bendy
    Apprentice Seeker
    fergussion wrote: »
    @Bendy
    after acceptance the corrections take 6 to 9 months

Thanks for your reply. I would have thought that there were set dates for updates to occur? I understand that if your reports are accepted and then fixed, that those will occur in the next map update of which there are 4 every year. That would mean that the amendments indicated as fixed on mapshare should take effect next update. I would like to know when the next scheduled update is?
  • tonygr
    tonygr Registered Users Posts: 94
    Supreme Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Usually in February, May, August, and November. Again usually about the middle of the month but can be later. Vikram has said in the past that there is no fixed date as the release depends on final testing. As Fergussion says it can take 6 -9 month to translate mapshare fixes into a map release (God knows why!) so it can be two or three releases before they appear.
  • Bendy
    Apprentice Seeker
    @fergussion & @tonygr

Thank you both. This answers the question although doesn't end up being great news as this means 6 to 9 months before I can use the device to do what I bought it for. Have put my TomTom Rider 550 up for sale after using it once and now have bought a Garmin Zumo XT. With the benefit of topo maps and all the roads marked on their maps I will now be in business. If the updates for TomTom were weekly or monthly then I probably would have stayed and dedicated another 10 hours to marking unmarked roads in my area and sending off images from other maps. Disgruntled customer :'(

Thanks again to you guys for helping me out.
  • Shawnloveshorses161
    Shawnloveshorses161 Registered Users Posts: 49
    Prominent Wayfarer
    Good afternoon,

There is map releases every Monday, which will go to TomTom Go, Amigo, all the Wifi based devices and the quaterly ones are the physical units I believe. Plus other navigation maps such as Bing maps also pick up those weekly as well.