TOMTOM GO 7" Discover not charging whilst in the window cradle dock

leebroath1976
leebroath1976 Registered Users Posts: 104
Renowned Trailblazer
edited July 26 in Devices using Wi-Fi®
Hello all,

I purchased my new Tomtom Go Discover 7" on the 19/06, and we just tried it out with a long drive about East Scotland.

The device was fully charged so took some time before we realised the issue.

We are using all the correct products which came with the TomTom GO Discover 7" Premium Pack contents

It seems to me that the cradle which sucks onto the window is faulty, because when I plug the power connection straight into the back the device starts charging, but when I plug into the cradle, then pop the Tomtom onto the magnet, no matter what we still see the red battery icon, and we have tried different charging ports and USB ports in our 2020 Audi SQ5.

Can someone please advise how I claim on this warranty as its faulty, as you can't call TomTom anymore?

Any help would be great thanks :)

In Cradle:
9siwiuwa761d.jpeg

Plugged in the back directly:
g70kqyrs80q7.jpeg

Answers

• YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 21,158
     Superuser
    edited July 11
    Hi
    @leebroath1976
    The new Devices with a 7" screen use a dedicated power adapter with a higher 2.4 Amp output + A heavy-duty USB Cable....

Contacting Tomtom Support….
    The phone service has been suspended (Indefinitely)
    The way of contacting Customer Services has changed
    For Tomtom Support Email or Chat lines...
    (Monday to Friday Normal Office Hours)
    Chat… Will be available during Normal Office Hours
    Email… Will be available outside of Normal Office Hours

Step by step tips when Contacting Tomtom Support....
    Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1771083/#Comment_1771083

TomTom customer support by email….
    Here... https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/requests/new?ticket_form_id=360000679560
    Note... This link is to one of the Tomtom Support site pages... You may have to login again using your Tomtom Email & Password...

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • leebroath1976
    Renowned Trailblazer
    Hi there,

I’m using the cable and the double usb socket power adapter which came with the 7” Premium Box

Is there anything I’m doing wrong?
  • davebarfoot
    davebarfoot Registered Users Posts: 7
    Apprentice Traveler
    I had the same problem on my new Go Exclusive this weekend.

I fixed it by unplugging everything and replugging it in. I *think* the issue was that when I had pushed the lead into the mount thew first time, although it felt like it had gone in properly, I don't think it had. The second time I pushed harder and it felt like it snapped in with much more conviction the second time!

May be worth a try
  • leebroath1976
    Renowned Trailblazer
    I know exactly what it is now

I just tried what you said, but it was def clicked in.

But what I did notice was when I moved the plug going into the mount a little from side to side the connection was lost and the Tomtom was wanting to turn off

So its either the wire plug or the Mount which is at fault.
  • leebroath1976
    Renowned Trailblazer
    It’s shocking how just a little movement stops the Tomtom charging, it’s so loose

mniltwjkh0xl.jpeg
  • matrixjs
    matrixjs Registered Users Posts: 20
    Outstanding Wayfarer
    I have the same model and been having exactly the same issue as you, it seems like your photo the connection is to loose and you can move the wire around, I keep getting battery low all the time while driving when it’s plugged it.

My device is only 7 months old I wondered if this is covered under the warranty.

I looked in the Tomtom online shop and the 7” Active Magnetic Mount is currently out of stock and costs £40 anyway I don’t really want to have to buy a new one when they have stock again when my device is only 7 months old.

Never had this issue with my 3 previous tomtom devices
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 21,158
     Superuser
    edited July 16
    Hi
    @matrixjs
    Welcome to the site....
    Yes, the Mount is covered under your warrantee....
    Are you using the dedicated Tomtom suppiled power adapter for the 7" devices with the higher 2.4 Amp output + The heavy-duty USB Cable ???

Contacting Tomtom Support….
    The phone service has been suspended (Indefinitely)
    The way of contacting Customer Services has changed
    For Tomtom Support Email or Chat lines...
    (Monday to Friday Normal Office Hours)
    Chat… Will be available during Normal Office Hours
    Email… Will be available outside of Normal Office Hours

Step by step tips when Contacting Tomtom Support....
    Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1771083/#Comment_1771083

TomTom customer support by email….
    Here... https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/requests/new?ticket_form_id=360000679560
    Note... This link is to one of the Tomtom Support site pages... You may have to login again using your Tomtom Email & Password...

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • leebroath1976
    Renowned Trailblazer
    edited July 16
    Hi @matrixjs

Let me start by saying I’ve been chasing my replacement for a good few days, and I was getting frustrated waiting on answers. Yes I used all original parts which came with the 7” Tomtom Discover box.

Expect a fair few questions on Chat as Tomtom don’t like sending out spares easily, it’s taken me speaking to four different Tomtom employees to FINALLY have a mount sent out, every single time I had to explain myself over and over, I felt like I was going around in circles, I also have 3 x cases open and just yesterday managed to get one sent out. I was even being asked to send the cable and mount to them first so they could inspect, repair or send a replacement, sorry but how on earth would I charge the 7” Tomtom without it which is used frequently. I was just about at the point of asking them to take the whole lot back!

Spoke with Kiran, Prathamesh, Vicky D and Bhavesh (who finally sorted the replacement), it’s actually getting beyond a joke not being able to call Tomtom and speak to a human, having to message them on chat and wait and never get a reply for over 3-4 days gets extremely frustrating. But apparently all Tomtom employees I spoke with have (template) stated the phone lines were stopped because customers gave feedback they preferred to contact Tomtom by Chat and Email, I’d love to see these results, because I think the only reason was $$

I’m not holding my breath, but hoping the replacement works.

As you are within Warranty this should all be a straight forward experience and one sent out, but for me this was just a complete farce!
  • matrixjs
    Outstanding Wayfarer
    Yes I am using the 2.4 amp power adapter and usb cable that came with the device, not sure it is heavy duty though looks like a normal cable to me
  • leebroath1976
    Renowned Trailblazer
    edited July 16
    If using the cable which came with the 7” Go Discover in the box, then your using a cable which should be fit for purpose for that device.

i.e. it will be the correct cable you are using.

I actually purchased the 7” Premium kit, which came with a high speed 12V dual charger, mount, cable, travel case and screen protector
  • matrixjs
    Outstanding Wayfarer
    Thanks leebroath1976

It sounds like a right pain to me and I’m not the most patient, I would almost think of just buying the new one for £40 just to save all the hassle you have described, I bought my unit in Halfords so maybe i would be better off going back to them.
  • leebroath1976
    Renowned Trailblazer
    Due to consumer law, you have a right to take the Tomtom back to Halfords, as this is within the first year.

Explain what is happening, and by UK law they will either send it off to Tomtom for a repair, or offer a replacement. As it’s been so long though they will probably send it off but no harm in asking, they may just swap it for a new complete device, so take everything including the receipt.

Or do what I did and try and claim for a new replacement mount, I’m hoping my one which gets delivered fixes the issues
  • matrixjs
    Outstanding Wayfarer
    I didn’t go down the Halfords route, I contacted TomTom support.

I seem to have had much more success than you did I explained the problem and they just asked for my receipt, name and address and are going to send me out a new cable and mount, and I got a next day reply. I spoke with Binaisha.

Hoping this sorts out the issue when I receive it.
  • leebroath1976
    Renowned Trailblazer
    Thanks @matrixjs

When did you actually contact Tomtom?

I’m away to email Harold (CEO) and explain my total frustration at all this, your message just tipped me over the edge

I have been waiting weeks, and as you know, been around in circles with all this, and it takes you a day to get your replacements

I’m absolutely furious at this and a complete let down from Tomtom support.
  • matrixjs
    Outstanding Wayfarer
    I sent first email Monday 18th, heard back next day then sent my receipt and address and then heard back today that I am being sent the replacement parts.
  • leebroath1976
    Renowned Trailblazer
    Done, email sent to Tomtom CEO and MGMT,

I'm absolutely disgusted at the state of the support team, and their response times

Around the 10/11th of July was when I first contacted Tomtom regarding this issue (plus a couple more), and every time I'm fobbed off with 'a part will be sent out', or 'the case has been escalated' etc etc.

I'm so frustrated at Tomtom support just now its an understatement, I have a case open since 11th which is still waiting for a reply from Kiran, amongst others.

I'm just fed up!

Just to prove, this is from 11th July and nothing:
    jsolrtmg21ou.png

• matrixjs
    Outstanding Wayfarer
    Have you received your replacement part yet in post?
  • leebroath1976
    Renowned Trailblazer
    Nope, absolutely nothing

I’m now being told there was no stock!

Which I don't believe for replacements
  • matrixjs
    Outstanding Wayfarer
    I won’t hold my breath waiting for my parts then, they told me allow 5 to 10 working days.
  • leebroath1976
    Renowned Trailblazer
    Good luck bud
  • MyNameAllreadyExists
    MyNameAllreadyExists Registered Users Posts: 141
    Exalted Navigator
    edited July 23
    Send them a pre action protocol claim letter, ask them to pass the letter on to their legal department. You have a valid clam. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/form-n1-claim-form-cpr-part-7 (You can do it by email explain the problem say that if complaint is not dealt you will issue a claim. They will not want to have to pass the letter on to their legal department)

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/template-letters/letters/consumer-template-letters/letter-to-complain-about-faulty-goods/

Or https://www.ombudsman-services.org/how-it-works/your-rights

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/what-do-i-do-if-i-have-a-faulty-product-aTTEK2g0YuEy
  • leebroath1976
    Renowned Trailblazer
    Correct me if I’m wrong, but shouldn’t the person who created the case be the one who ‘Solves’ the thread and is happy with the outcome?

I’ve just checked my enquiry and Prathamesh has closed the thread with ‘Good, I’m satisfied’ and the status is ‘Solved’

This was not myself who closed the thread or rated it ‘good’, as I’m still waiting for the items to be dispatched…

I’m getting more and more angry with all this, how dare this be marked up like that when it’s not been solved!

f2o4ozz46b5x.jpeg
    0xn9lwoh8zrm.jpeg
  • VikramK
    VikramK Administrators Posts: 14,330
    Hi @leebroath1976
    The support ticket automatically closes after 72 hours when there is no response from the customer's end.
    Regarding the satisfaction part, technically, agents don't have permissions to rate themselves. The satisfaction survey is sent to the customer's registered email address.

Regards,
    Vikram.
  • leebroath1976
    Renowned Trailblazer
    edited July 26
    Ok thanks Vikram :)

I wonder why then a thread which was only responded to 15 days ago is still classed as open

xvrm3ekj383y.jpeg