Fastest v Most Economical ?

Graem_WA
Graem_WA Registered Users Posts: 4
Novice Seeker
Have a Subaru Forester 2021 with tom tom GPS in-car. If I put in Perth to Madura Pass (for ex, happens with other rural destinations, this one is amazingly weird). Fastest mode takes you a thousands km into South Australia has you do a U-turn and head back. Economical mode takes you directly there, so go figure. Why? Is this something that the Tom Tom technicians need to work out? Don't have this issue with my Garmin or even Google Maps gets it right.
I got a suggestion to use my phones GPS with the car...hmm GPS on phones is not a true GPS as you need phone signal. Most rural areas I travel have zero phone coverage thus a real GPS is required. Thus wanting the Tom Tom in-car to actually work accurately.

Comments

• fergussion
    fergussion Registered Users Posts: 401
    Supreme Pioneer
    @Graem_WA
    Did you install latest map?
  • Graem_WA
    Graem_WA Registered Users Posts: 4
    Novice Seeker
    Yes latest map installed, followed car instructions, updated all maps for all states Monday 4/7/22 then put the same co-ordinates in to check and same weird results. Fastest takes you about 1000clicks into S.A then U-turn back whilst Economical takes you directly there. I've set the car to just use Economical now and even then it is a flip of the coin as sometimes shorter sometimes longer, sometimes quicker, sometimes slower. Very inconsistent.
  • Lost_Soul
    Lost_Soul Registered Users Posts: 444
    Supreme Pioneer
    @Graem_WA

I experience similar crazy illogical routes / diversions on my Go Camper and more latterly the Go Expert. The Go Camper has been reported to TomTom and despite their expert attention the issues are still persisting some 3 years later…….. :(

Whilst I can semi-explain some of the crazy routing on my devices as being attributable to changes of vehicle size / weight / height and or “phantom” restrictions placed on the road by TomTom that does not appear to be the case here as your vehicle is a Car.

Looking on the map the route to Madura Pass seems to be mainly Highways with no visible restrictions, so it would appear this can only be a “Software Gremlin” that has crept into your device that should be reported to the TomTom Customer Care Team / Subaru (not sure who would be responsible here) for correction…………….. B)

Luckily you have found a workaround.