TOMTOM 60 6100 - DOES IT RECEIVE TRAFFIC INFORMATION?

musicmarkck
musicmarkck Registered Users Posts: 9
Apprentice Seeker
I have just found my Go 6100, but not the charger or cradle. The online manual seems to suggest that the 6100 can receive traffic updates, but some websites say it cannot. Can anyone advise? And, if it does, which cable should I buy to enable it (I don't want to use a mobile phone app)?
Thank you.

Answers

• DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 10,031
    Superuser
    Hi @musicmarkck

The GO6100 has an inbuilt mobile sim that should connect to the TT servers and facilitate Traffic data. However it should be noted that if that Sim has been inactive for about 18 months plus it could have been deactivated and cannot be reactivated. Look back her tomorrow to see if @VikramK has any information on the unit.

Doug
  • musicmarkck
    Apprentice Seeker
    Thanka Doug. I had no idea that there was a sim which could be deactivated due to non-use. The Tomtom has been inactive for more than three years, so this could be a major blow. I will wait to see if more info is provided.
  • musicmarkck
    Apprentice Seeker
    Thanks, rather than thanka!
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 21,135
     Superuser
    HI
    @musicmarkck
    Further to Doug's post...
    Tomtom FAQ... What happens when I don't reactivate LIVE Services?
    Here... https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/live-sim/

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • musicmarkck
    Apprentice Seeker
    Thank you for that. But this link takes me to paid-for subscriptions and this model comes with free lifetime traffic and safety cams. How do I access those?
    Mark
  • YamFazMan
     Superuser
    edited July 4
    Hi
    @musicmarkck
    wx7v2nb8i0k5.jpg
    The Link is just confirming what Doug's post is saying... The SIM will be deactivated if the 'Live Traffic Service' has not used.... and that Tomtom send you an email....
    Asking you If you still Want/Need live Traffic? If 'Yes' then you need to reactivate the SIM within 28 days or the SIM is deactivated....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • musicmarkck
    Apprentice Seeker
    Firstly, I have just painstakingly checked my emails and did not receive any such message. Nothing. Secondly, I am bitterly disappointed that I am expected to pay a small fortune for these services, simply because I haven't use my sat nav for a while. I am a full-time carer and barely have time to eat some days.
    Wonderful.
  • YamFazMan
     Superuser
    edited July 3
    Hi
    @musicmarkck
    As far as I'm aware if the SIM Is deactivate then the SIM cannot be reactivated....
    You would still have Lifetime Traffic but instead of receiving Traffic over the built-in SIM...
    You would need to use a Smart phone to receive the Live Traffic services data again....
    @VikramK or @lampard the Forum Moderators should pick this up on Monday and check your Tomtom Account status....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • musicmarkck
    Apprentice Seeker
    "You would still have Lifetime Traffic but you would need to use a Smart phone to receive Live Traffic data again...."
    Sorry - I don't understand. What is Lifetime Traffic if it isn't live? Am I misunderstanding what Lifetime Traffic is? I thought the whole idea was that you didn't need a phone to receive traffic news.
  • VikramK
    VikramK Administrators Posts: 14,283
    Hi @musicmarkck
    I reviewed the services on your TomTom GO 6100 (serial number ending 773) and I don't see any issue with the embedded services.

Have you already tried the troubleshooting steps advised in the video below?

Regards,
    Vikram.
  • musicmarkck
    Apprentice Seeker
    Thank you. Before I watch this, I remain unclear as to whether or not I need a TMC receiver even to check if the service is working. Can you advise? Thank you.
    Mark
  • Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 6,507
    Revered Voyager
    No, you do not need a TMC receiver to check if the service is working.
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 10,031
    Superuser
    Hi @musicmarkck

The easiest way to see if your unit is receiving Traffic Data is to connect the unit to your Wifi then when the map is displayed is to Zoom out so you can see a big area more than 50 miles centred on where you are and any Traffic issues will show up. If there are delays then the stretch of road affected will be Red.

Now to check if your inbuilt sim is active do the same thing but out of range of your Wifi and leave it on for 5 minutes to see if it shows the Traffic Data.

Doug