How to install full Europe maps

Aleix
Aleix Registered Users Posts: 4
New Seeker
Hello,

I have a TomTom Start 40 with lifetime updates for Europe maps (full Europe). I have a 16GB microSD card where the map is installed (as it does not fit in the 6GB internal memory). Every time there was an update it downloaded the new full-Europe map and that't it, no problem... until now :(

I had an issue with the SD card (got corrupted during an update) so I had to format it (on a PC -FAT32). Then I got stuck with the "No maps" message on the GPS and not being able to "format for maps" the SD card on the TomTom menus. I had to install a small part of the European maps on the internal memory first and then I could access the GPS menu and format de SD card. Now the GPS can use the 16GB SD card again.

The problem now is that I have the small European maps installed, and cannot get the FULL Europe map that I had before. If I open the TomTom MyDrive I can change the map area or select an ever small map, but there is no option to have the full Europe map. I can install the Europe -North, Oriental, South, South-Occidental... but no option for the full Europe.

I cannot delete the map I have installed either (to start from scratch), as this is not an option when only 1 map is installed.

I am having a trip from Spain to Austria, and no maps offered have the needed countries (Spain, France, Italy, Switzerland, Austria). Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Answers

• YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 21,135
     Superuser
    edited July 2
    Hi
    @Aleix
    The START 40, is a NAV4 4GB 0r 8GB Device....
    xh3dne7dbh2r.jpg
    Re... NAV4 Device's & Catch22...
    The early Maps fitted easily onto 8 GB on-board Memory, but the Map sizes increases with every update....
    The Map size now exceeds the 8GB on-board Memory size on the NAV4 devices, this is an unfortunate, but real Catch22 situation....
    The latest NAV4 Full Europe Map size is now around 9 GB....

Maybe useful...
    Updating the device using the 'MyDrive Connect' 'My Contents' tab
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1145486/8gb-nav4-devices-catch22-installing-maps

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • Aleix
    New Seeker
    Hello @YamFazMan ,

Thanks for your prompt response, but I am afraid you misunderstood the issue.

I am pretty aware of the internal memory limitation of my GPS, that is why I fitted a 16GB micrSD card long ago. The current full-Europe maps fits perfectly on the microSD, as I have them before having this issue.

The issue is that I don't have the option to install the full-Europe maps anymore.
  • YamFazMan
     Superuser
    Hi
    @Aleix
    Does your START 40, have multiple maps installed ???
    If you, have you several Maps installed on the device ??? MyDrive Connect only Monitors the Active Map... You have to manually select and update any other installed Maps...
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1121585/nav4-devices-mydrive-connect-not-offering-the-latest-map-update

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • Aleix
    New Seeker
    @YamFazMan ,

Right now I have 2 maps installed:
    - Europe - Northern Zone
    - Europe - South Western Zone

ct5fe6c8kb91.png

If I go to the "My Services" area, I still see the Europe - Lifetime Maps, but if I click on "Manage Your Map" it goes to the "My Maps" area. I don't see any option to "install in SD" anywhere. The SD is detected and it states 15133 MB free space.

s2aprfu6b5z2.png

q31udw2zcrhe.png
  • YamFazMan
     Superuser
    Hi
    @Aleix
    Have you tried uninstalling one of the maps? and concentrating on installing the full Europe Map onto the Memory Card ???

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • Aleix
    New Seeker
    @YamFazMan ,

Many thanks for your reply. I have fixed the issue now, it was another thing.

It turns out that with the Mac version of MyDrive I was not able to uninstall any map, or install any other map on the SD. The option was never there. So, after 3-4h of trying, I decided to do the same on a PC. I installed MyDrive, log-in with my credentials and everything went fine.

With the PC I could uninstall all small maps and then install the full-Europe map on the SD card. No issues whatsoever.

So, thanks anyway for your help!
  • YamFazMan
     Superuser
    edited July 3
    Hi
    @Aleix
    You're welcome, glad you're sorted :)
    Windows for me every time, I've never got on with a Mac, they are to much a PITA...

Stay Safe... ATB YFM