Request for smaller UK map with buildings

Tony05
Tony05 Registered Users Posts: 6
New Seeker
Good morning,
I am having issues trying to update my maps on my TomTom Go 5000 as it would download but never install. It has been months and I have tried everything suggested on this community bar requesting for a smaller map. Would it be possible please to provide a smaller UK map as my current lifetime map is rather outdated? Many thanks.

Comments

• YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 21,135
     Superuser
    edited June 30
    Hi
    @Tony05
    Re... 8GB NAV4 Device's & Catch22...
    The early Maps fitted easily onto 8 GB on-board Memory, but the Map sizes increases with every update....
    The Map size now exceeds the 8GB on-board Memory size on the NAV4 devices, this is an unfortunate, but real Catch22 situation....
    The latest NAV4 Full Europe Map size is now around 9 GB....
    Maybe useful... A couple of options to get past the 'No Maps Available' error that also stops access to the Memory Card Map Formatting Menu....
    + How to install the new smaller Europe Map Cuts.

See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1145486/8gb-nav4-devices-catch22-installing-maps

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • Tony05
    New Seeker
    Good morning Yam,

Thanks for the reply. I do not have that option to get the same map but without 3D buildings. The current map is 'Europe + United Kingdom + Ireland buildings' and there is no option to reduce this. I have been attempting to install 'Europe + United Kingdom + Ireland buildings' which is the smallest map with UK buildings I believe. It would download then basically hang there forever.

I have read that there is a tiny map which is under 50MB which you can install, which will then allow you to remove the old map, so you can try again with the map of choice. Or even better just the UK map with buildings.
  • Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 6,507
    Revered Voyager
    Hi
    @Tony05

You can also insert an SD of 16 or 32 GB maximum which allows you to install a larger card.
  • Tony05
    New Seeker
    edited June 30
    Hi Willy,

Apologies, I should have put it in the original post. I even installed and formatted a 128GB SDcard and the same thing, nothing will update or install maps wise.

EDIT: I have also removed the SDcard to reduce the storage to see if I can get a smaller map. It is stuck on the "Getting ready" message...
  • YamFazMan
     Superuser
    edited June 30
    Hi
    @Tony05
    Tony05 wrote: »
    (Snip) Apologies, I should have put it in the original post. I even installed and formatted a 128GB SDcard and the same thing, nothing will update or install maps wise.
    EDIT: I have also removed the SDcard to reduce the storage to see if I can get a smaller map. It is stuck on the "Getting ready" message...
    See... High capacity microSD cards explained ​
    Here...https://www.androidauthority.com/high-capacity-microsd-cards-android-gary-explains-690710/

Tomtom >> ONLY << recommend 16GB or 32GB Micro SDHC Memory cards formatted to FAT32... The 128GB Memory cards are SDXC and formatted exFAT....
    There are none standard/unofficial 3rd party formatting tools available.... But your how reliable will be your stored data be ???

Now you have removed the 128GB Micro SD card you should be offered the new smaller Europe Map Cuts....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • Tony05
    New Seeker
    Hi Yam, I suspected that as well, the card was formatted within the TomTom unit as well and the space was made available. I will try to find a smaller card. However I have selected a smaller map that claims it should fit on the device, but that too would not install.
  • YamFazMan
     Superuser
    Hi
    @Tony05
    On the rare occasions I have problems with MyDrive Connect... I find deleting the "HOME3" and the "MyDrive Connect" folders in the MyDrive Connect Program will usually bring MyDrive Connect back to life...

If you have installed MyDrive Connect to the default location using Windows 10
    It's located here... C:\Users\"Your Computers Name goes here"\AppData\Local\TomTom > (HOME3 & MyDrive Connect Folders)
    Delete both the Home3 and the MyDrive Connect folders; they are most likely to be corrupted
    If you delete the Home3 and the MyDrive Connect folders it removes the Cache Folder & Contents, Prefs.ini, cookies.ini. Logs and Configuration.xml

A new Home3 Folder and MyDrive Connect folders and their contents are created fresh the next time you use MyDrive Connect....
    Method Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1134289/connection-problems-mydrive-connect-delete-the-home3-mydrive-connect-folders

Note...
    NEVER... Have your Tomtom device connected to your PC when....
    (1)... The first Install of MyDrive Connect (Including Uninstalling & Reinstalling MyDrive Connect)
    (2)... Updating the MyDrive Connect program
    (3)... Modifying MyDrive Connect (i.e... Deleting the Home3 and the MyDrive Connect folders as in the workaround shown in the link below)
    The above 3 actions can have an adverse effect on the USB Driver install….

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • Tony05
    New Seeker
    Hi @YamFazMan,

Thanks for the reply. I have tried the above previously thanks to the community posts with similar issues but it just stays on the Updating device page. Shame there is no progress bar as it has been on that page previously for a number of hours.

Everything else like voices, charge points, etc update without a problem. Its just when it comes to map updates or adding a map, nothing happens sadly.
  • Tony05
    New Seeker
    Hi all, is there any other suggestions on how to proceed? The maps are over 50 months old now. Many thanks.