How do I contact support?

binswood_un24
binswood_un24 Registered Users Posts: 4
Apprentice Traveler
I've just purchased a new Go Discover and it simply won't pair with my phone. The phone sees the device and the device sees the phone, the codes are the same, but the device just will not pair. I get the message "Unable to connect Bluetooth tethering". On the website it appears that the only way to contact TomTom support is via the Web Chat - but that is simply not working. I click it and nothing happens at all!
It seems that the device is faulty, so, what do I do now?

Answers

• DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 10,024
    Superuser
    Hi @binswood_un24

It would appear that you are only turning on Bluetooth in you phones settings.

If you have an IPhone you need to go to Settings/Personal Hotspot and turn that option On as well. On an Android phone I believe you have a Bluetooth Tethering option and that has to be selected as well.

Going back to the IPhone although you have to have the Personal Hotspot turned On at no time will you be asked for the PH Password nor will it show as connected if you go to the Wifi page on the TT unit. You must have both Bluetooth and Personal Hotspot turned on to complete and maintain the connection.

Doug
  • binswood_un24
    binswood_un24 Registered Users Posts: 4
    Apprentice Traveler
    Thank you, that seems to have done the trick, but another problem has arisen. The TT displays the following message...
    "Possible Bluetooth issue detected
    When your Smartphone has a working internet connection
    please take the following actions:
    . Disable and enable Bluetooth on your Smartphone
    . On your phone, go to Settings and turn on Personal
    hotspot/Bluetooth tethering"
    I've done all that, but the message won't go away.

I'm using Android 8.1 which links to my car's Bluetooth with no problems at all.
    Under Network & Internet it reports Hotspot & tethering is on, and its connected to my Wi-Fi network.
    I confess that I'm very disillusioned with this new GO Discover and beginning to think I should never have purchased it.
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 10,024
    Superuser
    Hi @binswood_un24

Did you delete the original Pairings on the Phone and the TT unit. If not the I would delete all pairings between the devices that are shown and then re Pair them. If that does not sort it.

Try a Soft Reset.

Turn the unit On then when it is ready press and Hold in the On/Off button for 20 seconds plus until you hear the Drumroll Sound then let Button Go.

If that does not sort it then do a Factory Reset.

Tap Menu/Settings/System/Reset Device. This will return the unit to how you first had it except if you have updated the Operating Software or Updated the maps or added any then they will NOT be changed back so you have to do them again. You will have to set the unit up again from scratch so again please delete any relevant pairings on the phone.

Doug