weird routing

Covkid62
Covkid62 Registered Users Posts: 612
Supreme Navigator
Yesterday I was navigating to the Calais ferry terminal and when i was about 100 miles away I noticed that the distance had increased by about 75 miles and the time of arrival had altered so I pulled into a rest area to check my route and as you can see in the picture it looked lie it had tried to send me via the channel tunnel to somewhere in Kent and then back by ferry to Calais.
I tried multiple times to navigate to the ferry with the same results and even used the POI so I'm thinking there is a fault with the map or something
phbvnm0f9cjn.jpeg

Comments

• Covkid62
    Supreme Navigator
    anyone have any ideas @VikramK
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 21,132
     Superuser
    edited July 2
    Hi
    @Covkid62
    Check... Tap on the 3 line 'Hamburger Icon' --> Setting --> Routing --> Rerouting... I always use the 'Manual' option....
    Then the device asks 'There's a faster route available, do you want to take it ???

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • Lost_Soul
    Lost_Soul Registered Users Posts: 442
    Supreme Pioneer
    edited June 28

Hi @Covkid62

That routing is very similar to the crazy / illogical routes and diversions I experience on my Go Camper and more recently the Go Expert.

However what is puzzling is that if I plan a route using "my Go Discover" it navigates directly to the Calais Terminal as you might expect………… B)

But your Go Discover and also MyDrive (PC and App) plus the Go App adds in the crazy loop back and forth across the Channel. Sadly this device inconsistency is becoming too common. :/

I have a theory that the POI you are using has been located by TomTom “just” in the Channel……………. ;)
    Which allows for an inbound route from the UK but results in the crazy loop when returning? :)

I will try and get it moved using Mapshare reporter, but my success rate has been appalling with numerous unwarranted rejections and I feel the situation will only get worse following TomTom’s June press release saying they have reduced their Map unit staff by approximately 500.

I have not been to Calais for some decades but recall a very confusing layout * (see Ps below) and the POI you chose to use is at the very Western end of the port and if I look via Google Maps they have several other Piers spread over 2.5km to the East.

Looking on the FranceFerrybooker.co.uk website they supply the following information:

Calais Ferry Port Address
    Dover port is located at Car Ferry Terminal, Gare Maritime Est, Calais 62100, France.

The satellite navigation coordinates are 50.967620, 1.867037.

These co-ordinates will take you to a Central Car parking area / Toilets / Ticket offices and no doubt once in the port there will be localised signs directing you to the correct departure Pier. (TomTom already has a POI simply called “Terminaux” locating the Parking Area at these co-ordinates)

The coordinates above appear to be a more suitable location for a generalised POI for the Calais Car Ferry Terminal unless your recent visit can suggest a better location?

Hope the above helps.

Ps * If you zoom in on the Go Discover there appears to be a large number of roads within the Port and also surrounding the Channel Tunnel area that TomTom are showing as being closed (Red Dotted lines). Not sure if these are new roads under construction?
  • Covkid62
    Supreme Navigator
    Thank you for your very informative reply.
    I can agree with a lot you have said and the area you navigate to does seem to be right on the edge of the port but i moved away from that area and tried to navigate to one of roads near the port and it still took me in that weird loop over the channel so I'm not sure what was going on with it.
    Have tried to report various things over the years from in correct speeds on roads and map faults but it seems to take an eternity for Tomtom to do anything about it.

cheers

Darren
  • Lost_Soul
    Lost_Soul Registered Users Posts: 442
    Supreme Pioneer
    @Covkid62
    @tonygr

Darren,

There does appear to be some weird issues within the Calais Terminal area, and the one way road layout system issue as suggested by @tonygr is more than likely to be the cause.
    It is surprising that more people do not moan about this as it's a popular location.

I tried searching for a 'Ferry Terminal Departure' as suggested but TT switched this to the Eurotunnel ...... in fact planning a route from Dover to Calais (Dover Ferry route) and return I had difficulty in finding a suitable location that works both ways as TT & most other route planners favour the Eurotunnel or the Dunkirk Ferry route.

Even my suggestion above of the central parking area is flawed!

As Thomas Edison said: Discontent is the first necessity of progress....................... B)
  • Covkid62
    Supreme Navigator
    Lost_Soul wrote: »
    @Covkid62
    @tonygr

Darren,

There does appear to be some weird issues within the Calais Terminal area, and the one way road layout system issue as suggested by @tonygr is more than likely to be the cause.
    It is surprising that more people do not moan about this as it's a popular location.

I tried searching for a 'Ferry Terminal Departure' as suggested but TT switched this to the Eurotunnel ...... in fact planning a route from Dover to Calais (Dover Ferry route) and return I had difficulty in finding a suitable location that works both ways as TT & most other route planners favour the Eurotunnel or the Dunkirk Ferry route.

Even my suggestion above of the central parking area is flawed!

As Thomas Edison said: Discontent is the first necessity of progress....................... B)

Hi Lost Soul,

I've used Dunkirk quite a few times and never had any issues with navigating to it and when I first set the route it was fine but it all changed about 100 miles from Calais as that's when I noticed the extra mileage had been added and the arrival time had changed.

think Tomtom should look at this as like you said people use it a lot for getting back to the UK