The map on my device needs to be activated

diezdaux
diezdaux Registered Users Posts: 3
Novice Seeker
I know that my XXL device has reached END OF LIFE.
However I am using my USA/Canada map v1085 with no problems.
My Europe map v970 has worked very well in past years.
Now I have just installed the Europe map from my computer using TomTom HOME with no problems.

BUT my device screen reads "You cannot use this map on this device: Europe - 100772"
and my TomTom HOME reads "this item cannot be used on this device because it needs to be activated first"
(there are 716MB free after installation).

I know the map cannot be updated because of insufficient device memory, but I have never had to "activate" this map before.
Please tell me how to activate the map (I have to use it next week).

Thank you!
Tagged:

Best Answers

• VikramK
    VikramK Administrators Posts: 14,712
    Answer ✓
    Hi @diezdaux
    Welcome to the community! The map has been reactivated for your TomTom, just remove the existing map first and download a fresh copy using TomTom HOME.

Regards,
    Vikram
  • VikramK
    edited June 26 Answer ✓
    Could you try a clean format and restore of application and the maps?
    https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360013961099

Thanks,
    Vikram.

Answers

• VikramK
    Answer ✓
    Hi @diezdaux
    Welcome to the community! The map has been reactivated for your TomTom, just remove the existing map first and download a fresh copy using TomTom HOME.

Regards,
    Vikram
  • diezdaux
    Novice Seeker
    edited June 24
    Thank you very much for the prompt reply Vikram.
    I am relieved that the map will be available to me.
    But I am having an issue with installation.

I removed the existing map but the device memory does not show it has been removed. Here is a screenshot showing that there is not enough free memory.
    Please help me with this.
    Merci!
    87a71k978bcq.png

• VikramK
    edited June 26 Answer ✓
    Could you try a clean format and restore of application and the maps?
    https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360013961099

Thanks,
    Vikram.
  • diezdaux
    Novice Seeker
    Hello Vikram,

I was not able to format the device at first, then I did errorchecking, then Scan and Repair.
    From there on, everything went smoothly and I am now ready for a driving tour in Europe!
    Thank you so much. I am feeling confident once again that this is a robust and reliable device.

I have one last question:
    The device I bought (XXL 540S World Edition) advertised "Lifetime maps"; I understand why my device can no longer accept map updates (evolution of hardware and software).
    So if I upgrade my device (to the GO series), will I be able to use my map subscription? (I have a few years of lifetime left)
    or will I have to purchase 12-month access to N. America and Europe separately?

Merci
  • Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 7,769
    Elite Voyager
    diezdaux wrote: »

I have one last question:
    The device I bought (XXL 540S World Edition) advertised "Lifetime maps"; I understand why my device can no longer accept map updates (evolution of hardware and software).
    So if I upgrade my device (to the GO series), will I be able to use my map subscription? (I have a few years of lifetime left)
    or will I have to purchase 12-month access to N. America and Europe separately?

Merci

Hi @diezdaux

A subscription cannot be transferred to another device.

On new GOs, depending on the model, either the Europe card for life or the world card for life.