TomTom GO 5000

SuperMarioDiMaggio
SuperMarioDiMaggio BristolRegistered Users Posts: 4
Apprentice Seeker
Hi everyone, I'm at my wit's end and am hoping someone can help please. I have a second, backup GO 5000 and yesterday I connected it to MyDrive Connect to update it (for the first time in over a year). It did some sort of 'preparing your device' procedure and now it appears stuck on the "Choose a Country" screen ie. regardless of what I try, it won't show me a list of countries, and it just sits there! This is what I've tried:
- fully charged (overnight)
- resetting the device (like a million times ie. press and hold the button, etc)
- installed a few English language voices

How do I get the device to re-set itself properly?

I try and add maps, but it says 'not enough space' - even though it has 6254MB free. I've added a 128GB Memory Card, but it just doesn't see it.

Can anyone help please?

Thank you in advance for reading
Tagged:

Best Answers

• Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 7,766
    Elite Voyager
    Answer ✓
    Hi

The maximum accepted as an SD card for a Tomtom GPS is 32 GB
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan UKPosts: 21,480
     Superuser
    edited June 19 Answer ✓
    Hi
    @SuperMarioDiMaggio
    1st remove the 128GB Memory Card....
    32GB is the Max recommended Micro SDHC Memory Card size for a Tomtom device...
    FAT32 is the base format for TomTom's Proprietary format for storing Maps....
    The maximum size a Micro SDHC Memory Card can be formatted (FAT32) is 32GB....

The 64GB Memory cards and Above are SDXC Memory Cards and formatted exFAT....
    There are none standard/unofficial 3rd party FAT32 formatting tools for the 64GB cards and above available for your PC....
    >> BUT << how reliable will be your stored data be ??? I wouldn't like a crashed Map mid journey :/
    (Snip) Now it appears stuck on the 'Choose a Country' screen (Snip)
    I think the repeated 'Choose a Country' may indicate that there's probably no Map installed....
    Maybe useful... 8GB devices like your NAV4 GO 5000 & Catch22...
    The early Maps fitted easily onto 8 GB on-board Memory, but the Map sizes increases with every update....
    The Map size now exceeds the 8GB on-board Memory size on the NAV4 devices, this is an unfortunate, but real Catch22 situation....
    The latest NAV4 Full Europe Map size is now approaching 9 GB and you can't fit a Quart into a Pint pot

Here's a couple of options to get past the Catch22 'Not enough Memory'….
    And or the 'No Maps Available' error that also stops access to the Memory Card Map Formatting Menu....
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1145486/8gb-nav4-devices-catch22-installing-maps

Stay Safe... ATB YFM

Answers

• Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 7,766
    Elite Voyager
    Answer ✓
    Hi

The maximum accepted as an SD card for a Tomtom GPS is 32 GB
  • SuperMarioDiMaggio
    Apprentice Seeker
    Great, thanks for that, I'll try a smaller card - yet I think I still need to reset this thing fully, as it appears well and truly stuck on "Choose a Country" :/
  • YamFazMan
     Superuser
    edited June 19 Answer ✓
    Hi
    @SuperMarioDiMaggio
    1st remove the 128GB Memory Card....
    32GB is the Max recommended Micro SDHC Memory Card size for a Tomtom device...
    FAT32 is the base format for TomTom's Proprietary format for storing Maps....
    The maximum size a Micro SDHC Memory Card can be formatted (FAT32) is 32GB....

The 64GB Memory cards and Above are SDXC Memory Cards and formatted exFAT....
    There are none standard/unofficial 3rd party FAT32 formatting tools for the 64GB cards and above available for your PC....
    >> BUT << how reliable will be your stored data be ??? I wouldn't like a crashed Map mid journey :/
    (Snip) Now it appears stuck on the 'Choose a Country' screen (Snip)
    I think the repeated 'Choose a Country' may indicate that there's probably no Map installed....
    Maybe useful... 8GB devices like your NAV4 GO 5000 & Catch22...
    The early Maps fitted easily onto 8 GB on-board Memory, but the Map sizes increases with every update....
    The Map size now exceeds the 8GB on-board Memory size on the NAV4 devices, this is an unfortunate, but real Catch22 situation....
    The latest NAV4 Full Europe Map size is now approaching 9 GB and you can't fit a Quart into a Pint pot

Here's a couple of options to get past the Catch22 'Not enough Memory'….
    And or the 'No Maps Available' error that also stops access to the Memory Card Map Formatting Menu....
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1145486/8gb-nav4-devices-catch22-installing-maps

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • SuperMarioDiMaggio
    Apprentice Seeker
    Wow, thank you for that detail information (the kind of info that should be easily available on TomTom's troubleshooting section 🙄). Anyway, I've ordered a 32GB microSD card and I'll update this thread after I try it out. Thank you again! 😊
  • YamFazMan
     Superuser
    Hi
    @SuperMarioDiMaggio
    You're welcome, hope you get sorted :)
    There's lots of Tips, Workarounds and Tomtom 'How to Video's' on the sites 'Community Knowledge Base' page....
    Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/categories/community-knowledge-base

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • SuperMarioDiMaggio
    Apprentice Seeker
    AWESOME! All fixed! Thank you @YamFazMan and everyone else for your help! 🥳