Rider 550 - phantom screen presses

anthony_h_2022
anthony_h_2022 Registered Users Posts: 3
Apprentice Seeker
edited June 18 in RIDER
Hi all

I'm new around here having never had any trouble with my TomTom Rider 400 for the years that I've had it. However, back in November I decided to treat myself to a Rider 550 in the Black Friday sales. I hadn't used it in anger but was really impressed by the WiFi feature and how it automatically synced maps and locations that had been saved in the MyDrive website.

I recently did a software and map update prior to a tour and it appears to have rendered the device unusable. The map is constantly moving, zooming in and out, and the device is clicking as if I was tapping the screen. I try to go in to the menu but as I go through the options more phantom screen presses happen and it kicks me back out to the map display. Same things happen when I try to select a route or a favourite destination. I try and select the navigation I want before it keeps initiating random screen taps, or takes me directly to unwanted menu options that I hadn't selected. I successfully did a factory reset after about the thirtieth attempt to get as far as the settings menu without any glitches but that doesn't seem to have made any difference. I hadn't used it it anger before doing the software/map update, and had only played with it in the house to go through the setup process and experiment with syncing routes. It seems too much of a coincidence that this started after I applied the update.

I'm really surprised by this because I've been a happy TomTom user for about 15 years, what with car devices, Rider 2, and Rider 400. This is the first problem I've ever had with a TomTom device.

Has anyone come across this? I would really appreciate any advice. Fortunately I hadn't got around to selling the 400 on eBay just yet, so I've got a backup for my tour.

Edit - I haven't updated my Rider 400. I daren't do that when I'm about to go away on holiday! That's on 20.100.0001.311 (13/10/2020) and Europe map V1060.10620 and everything is fine. I've tried to check the version on the 550 but it just won't let me get as far as the setting before doing more random stuff.

Comments

• kieron
    kieron Posts: 566
     Superuser
    edited June 19
    Hi there @anthony_h_2022 -

I have read in previous postings from users that have experienced phantom screen operations and it has normally been resolved by carefully cleaning the edge of the screen between the frame as sometimes, moisture has built up then dried and formed a layer that eventually presses on the screen. It has been suggested to carefully use either a razor blade/modellers knife that is thin enough to gently remove any such build up of contamination.
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan UKPosts: 21,480
     Superuser
    Hi
    @anthony_h_2022
    Have you tried experimenting with the Touch Sensitivity settings ???
    I find that if you set the Touch Sensitivity to 'Thick Gloves' you can trigger a Menu response without actually touching the screen....
    Check... Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Setting --> Touch Sensitivity....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • anthony_h_2022
    Apprentice Seeker
    Hi Kieron and Yam

Thanks both for your comments. Apologies for not replying sooner but I've been away on a tour. I went back to my trusty old Rider 400 for the trip which made me wonder why I bought the 550. The problem is I can't resist new gadgets! :smile:

Kieron - that's useful to know, but given that the device hasn't been out of the house and all I've done is taken it out of the box, set it up, then updated the software, I doubt there's any debris in there. I think the device is faulty and I'll have to take it up with TomTom.

Yam - that was a good suggestion and I tried to change the sensitivity but gave up after phantom key presses kept dumping back out to the map screen before I could get through to the right option in the settings.

Thanks again both of you for responding. Really appreciated. :smile:

• YamFazMan
    YamFazMan UKPosts: 21,480
     Superuser
    edited July 2
    Hi
    @anthony_h_2022
    Just an afterthought, don't shoot the messenger, but... :o
    Have you removed the temporary screen protector ??? The screen protector on the device as supplied is disposable, its used to protect the screen during Manufacture & Transit....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • anthony_h_2022
    Apprentice Seeker
    Hi @YamFazMan

Yes, I had removed that. I wasn't going to pass up on that satisfying feeling of peeling off the plastic. :smile:

What's most annoying about this now is that this device was going absolutely bananas a couple of weeks ago when I was preparing for a tour to the extent that I had to dig out my Rider 400 and use that. I just turned it on again to see how it was behaving as I was about to contact TomTom regarding a warranty claim, and lo and behold the device is absolutely fine. Behaving as normal. :angry: The problem I have now is do I trust the device?