TomTom Rider 2nd Edition battery replacement

Mauro0206
Mauro0206 Registered Users Posts: 2
New Seeker
Hi everybody! May someone help me to find the exact name (I need it to buy them) of the tools needed to remove the six screws of my Rider? There are two type of screws: 4 at the corner and 2 at the side of the connectors door.
Thanks!

Answers

• kieron
    kieron Posts: 566
     Superuser
    Hi there @Mauro0206 -

If the screws you are referring to have an indented star shape on the head, then it sounds like you need a small set of precision Torx screwdrivers.
  • TigerRider
    TigerRider Registered Users Posts: 179
    Exalted Navigator
    edited June 14
    @Mauro0206 , It occurs to ask whether its worth buying a set of precision Torx screwdrivers and a new battery given TomTom told me a while back my Rider 2 would not support some latest epoch roll over on the GPS signals meaning the Rider2 wouldn't work and I would need to buy a new unit.

At the time they were offering a discount on the Rider550 so I traded up. I still really miss my old Rider2 especially as I had just changed the battery as you have just found.

The Rider2 was also loads better at doing the simple stuff like working with my old simple phone and had a phone book to work with. I'm stuffed if I can use my Rider550 with my current Smart phone. Yet another bit of negative progress inflicted on us by those clever marketeers.

Edit: might still be worth buying yourself a set of those precision Torx drivers ready for the next emergency.
  • Mauro0206
    Mauro0206 Registered Users Posts: 2
    New Seeker
    Hi @kieron! Thank you for your answer.
    I know that I need some torx screwdriver (and one kind of these is with the protection pin) but I need also to know the exact size...
    However, when I asked support TomTom send to me a coupon to buy a new Rider with 20% of discount... I have to spend 300 Euros more or less, and the new battery for my Rider 2nd Edition cost only 15 Euro... I want My Rider back to working state! :-)
  • TigerRider
    Exalted Navigator
    edited June 14
    @Mauro0206 ,

Re: "my Rider 2nd Edition cost only 15 Euro... I want My Rider back to working state! " That 15 Euro battery might not return your Rider as expected. Some years back some GPS parameter overflowed by one bit needing a register one bit bigger than the then GPS firmware systems had effectively obsoleting both my old SatNavs and all similar.

I have an old Garmin unit from circa 1995-ish. While it still gives me my location the date and time are way off and it can take an age to sync.

Best start saving ready for 550 replacement unit. If you loved your old Rider 2 you'll struggle with the Rider 550. Yes its all very flash but its more smart phone than Bike SatNav. I found the thing very frustrating particularly the mobile phone support. Its now pants on the 550. You now have to "ask to dial by name" it to dial out which means more data to Google or Apple. I need my Rider 2.
  • raesewell
    raesewell Registered Users Posts: 198
    Exalted Navigator
    Take it down to your local antique shop and see what you can get for it :D
  • TigerRider
    Exalted Navigator
    raesewell wrote: »
    Take it down to your local antique shop and see what you can get for it :D

Nah! Keep it. Its a classic.

Maybe one of the last from the days when they knew what they were doing.